Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Welland
Hi All.

Let me just start by saying, I have read all of the stickies ( admittedly it was at 3:00 am) and I appreciate anyone who takes the time to this post. I know you get inundated with this time of post.

I am a 38 year old female who is experiencing some concerning symptoms and I need to run it past someone, because I am trying not to concern my family too much. ( I am a wife and a Mom to a beautiful 6 year old boy)

Approx 5 weeks ago, after a 10k run I felt a numbness in my right calf, I really didn’t think too much of it other than it was likely a pinched nerve. I took a week off from running and thought the rest would do me good. A week later, I felt a similar numbness in my right forearm and went to the dr. He sent me for a series of tests for potassium, magnesium and calcium which all came back normal. He also sent me for a CAT scan which is scheduled for December 16th. At that point I started to experience muscles twitches in random locations over my body which I mentioned to my dr, but he said we wouldn’t know anything until the CAT scan. Over the last couple of weeks I have started to feel muscle weakness in my hand which is also quite shaky at times, and there is a lot of pain around my thumb and on the top of my hand. The numbness in my calf meanwhile comes and goes. I have also had pins and needles in various body parts. In the last month my anxiety has risen significantly.

A few questions.
1. I am not scheduled to return to the dr until after my CAT scan, but as my symptoms are worsening, I am thinking I really need to go back, should I be asking for a referral?
2. Any other thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to keep calm and carry on, and some moments are better than others, but it is started to wear on me the worse I feel.

Thank you for your time. I know you are not doctors, and cannot diagnose me, please know that is not my intent in posting.

Christina

Christina-

Doesn't sound like ALS to me at all. As a former marathoner, I once experienced leg & ankle numbness & pain- it was discovered I had a pinched nerve in my foot (strange but true) which healed on it's own. I followed up with a sports physiotherapist who observed my running and adjusted my foot strike and stride length. After much practice, ( it felt awkward at first) my problem was resolved. You should also ensure, you're wearing the right shoes. For instance if you pronate and have the wrong shoes, you could have pain & numbness as well. Get fitted at the Running Room- they have really great staff. I think the nearest store to you is in Burlington. Maybe it's lactic acid or a lack of magnesium- these are common with runners too.

As for the twitching- if you've read stickies, you will see that many people have them, and these are most often benign.

It's great that you are following up with your GP- but I really think that you're over worrying. Trust me, if you had ALS- you would not have run 10K 5 weeks ago- maybe not even 12 months ago either. Your GP will refer you if he/she thinks you need one. Clearly you have a competent Dr towit the Cat Scan test.

Rest easy until you find answers which you will do.

Hey Ottawa Girl, yes I completely get the possibility of a pinched nerve my head did go there well before Als. For my shoes,. I went through Runners edge in St. Catharines and had my gait analysed. I don't protanate but do strike hard. It's mostly my hand that bugs me now, it is really uncomfortable. Also I haven't run in a month because I have been afraid to which sounds horrible I know. Which means I am not getting my stress relief. I know the twitches could absolutely be stress. The dr did check my magnesium at my request. The one thing he didn't check was my b12, which could be a culprit for sure, as I am a vegetarian and am pretty active. Thanks for taking the time to post, it is nice to talk to a fellow runner, and I am wishing u all the best :)

And formerly a 30 year vegetarian Christina. After diagnosis in April, for some unknown reason, I started eating BACON!

You could do water running in the meantime- I did that for weeks on end during recovery of a variety of running injuries over the years. It's a good workout without the stress on your body while relieving the stress in your body.

Get ALS out of your mind- especially given the bacon. Lighten up- I think you're in good hands with your GP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back