Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Douglasville
Does anyone else have jaw twitches? Yesterday I took my kids to see Wreck it Ralph... Cute. :). I love going to the movies- mainly for the big tub of buttery popcorn ( of course!). Unfortunately, I only got through a few hand gulls before my jaw gave out.. Just couldn't chew anymore.. So I sucked on the pieces instead... Still enjoyed the fake butter.. :)

Last night as I washing my face, I noticed my jaw twitching..too tired to give it much thought... Still here this morning.. Anyone else experience something like this?

You didn't mention the jaw thing last night in you post in your diary thread. Nope, never had what you describe.

I started with left hand cramps/spasms (off and on for about a year and a half) and then loss of dexterity and then weakness (that's when I went to GP). The left hand/arm twitches appeared slowly sometime later. While my twitches are more intense on some days, they resemble nothing like you are describing and experiencing. In recent months, the twitching has spread to my upper back, belly & legs but, again, mostly only on my left side. I do have the occasional lip twitching, but I suspect, in my case, this is due to anxiety.
My left hand/arm are now quite obviously atrophied and their use is limited.

When are you scheduled for EMG?

Yes, mine did about 3 weeks ago but i'm not diagnosed with ALS. My jaw clamped down when eating zucchini. I had pain though and thought i had tetanus because i had dropped an old metal chair on my foot a while back. The next day it was ok but i was scared to eat anyway.

My jaw was twitching last night so i texted my brother and asked him if he gets muscle twitches in his face (he is under a lot of stress because he lost his son). He said it happens all the time. I think muscle twitching is more common under stress.

Ottawa - your story seems a little different than what i read on the posts. some members feel that "weakness" is not gradual, but your symptoms went on for a year and half...you were able to use your hand (lift objects, turn keys, etc) ? After reading many of the posts, it seems that others' symptoms began immediately causing them to have no use of their limbs.

Ineed-

The year and a half or so- was intermittent hand cramping- if I carried a grocery bag for example, or if I was on a long drive I'd get cramps from holding the steering wheel. Eventually, coins would slip through my fingers and buttons became an aggravation. (I thought it was arthritis). My weakness (touch wood) is gradual. Yes, I still used my left hand- just more awkwardly and objects felt really heavy. For instance, I only half fill my coffee mug now and I can't turn the small dead bolt on our front door, with my left hand. It's just not strong enough. It was by no means, for me, a matter of waking up one day and not being able to do something... and yet some days, I can turn the deadbolt and pull my pants up!

Your brother is right about twitching more when stressed- I'm like that too (and when over tired).

Inddedsome.....weakness is almost always gradual, as early in the process, the other nerves try to take over for the dying ones. People don't just wake up paralyzed early in the process. Paralysis is a gradual process

Thanks Ottawa. the jaw twitch is new :(. No lips or anywhere else, just my right jaw (shrug). Glad to hear my twitches sound out of the norm for ALS. My EMG is next Wednesday, which brings up another question-will the EMG be able to rule in or out ALS then? When you received your diagnosis- was it the day you had your EMG, or we're there more tests?

In my case- the technician did the initial testing, then neuro came in and did the more invasive needle testing.
Then he told us "I see ALS". That was that. April 5/12. He re-confirmed diagnosis on August 16/12 after another round of testing.

Please keep in mind, when one is stressed, one may clamp down one's jaw- even while sleeping. That can initiate twitching as well. My sense is that you do not have ALS-

Good luck on Wednesday- and let us know.

Thanks so much..I'm so sorry for your diagnosis.. I've been thinking about mortality a lot and can only imagine what it was like receiving the diagnosis.. My heart goes out to you and I'll keep you in my prayers...

It's hard to wait, mostly because I'm tired of being poked and prodded and just want to put it all behind me and focus on Christmas with my family... I think I'll forgo any Internet activity until Wednesday and focus on this.. I'll definitely post an update. From what I know, it's actually the neuro who does the test (my neuro's partner and I had to schedule it for when he was in the office), so hopefully this will be laid to rest soon.

Happy Holidays to all,

Ang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back