Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
US
State
ID
City
Sandpoint
Hello! Has anyone found information on what supplements (e.g., calcium) should or should not be taken by persons with ALS? :razz:

** removed **

Last edited by a moderator:
A pals will surely reply with a better answer, but I do know coq10, Creotine and b12 have been investigated. They haven't proven to be helpful in clinical trials but I've read that some get a subjective benefit. Hopefully others will provide more info for you. There's also a search feature near the top of the page you should check out. There are several threads about supplements that you can read through. Good luck.

I'm not aware of anything directly that shouldn't be taken with ALS. I would strongly suggest if you haven't already to have your vitamin D level checked. The is actually a cellular level hormone and we should all stay at at least the 30 unit level. I take two supplements with tumeric which is a great anti-inflammatory, vitamin C since I don't eat a lot of citrus, and a multivitamin. At my doctors okay I take 8000 international units of the a day with a 50,000 unit capsule once a week. I've eliminated all treatment for my high cholesterol except fish oil, which may or may not do anything. Don't know that if that's any help. Welcome to the club none of us want to be a member of.
Holly

Coenzyme Q10 on several occasions tested the treatment of different neurodegenerative diseases such as in the treatment of ALS.
The results of these research has not shown that the drug is effective.

However (there is always a however!), Its mode of action in laboratory experiments this one coenzyme acts to prolong the lives cells, reducing their damage caused by aging. With regard to could say that the accelerated aging disease ALS motor neurons has logic
drug taking.
So, there is no evidence that the drug acts but the drug is not harmful and may help and I think it's worth a try.

Our doctor suggested that we do not supplement with calcium. I will need to check further and see why not as I did not ask at the time. He did start my husband on supplements but not calcium.

If you check the UCSF website and do a search on I think it's ALS nutrition (could be supplements) there's a list of the ones they recommend. I know it was vitamin C, E, and a couple of other things. They have dosage info also, and all are available online in powder form to make taking them easier.

The only supplements that I take are Vitamin D and Calicium for Osteopenia. I have been thinking about adding coconut oil.

ALS Untangled has some alternative treatments and reviews some supplements. They take suggestion via Twitter to investigate too.

Thank you all for the responses! Katie C., thanks for the UCSF reference, found some good articles there. WellsRuby, have you been able to determine why your Dr. recommended no calcium? I have found nothing else on calcium to date.

Regards, Chris

Nikolab, thanks! Good discussion/article.

Chris

Katie C., thanks much for the UCSF website!

Chris

WellsRuby - thanks! Were you able to determine why calcium is not recommended?

Hey! good supplementals are advised here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back