Foot atrophy and no weakness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't comment. A closed mouth gathers no feet. ooooops, did I mention feet?

Careful Lass, or you're going to get foot in mouth di se ase.

So, why don't you make it easy on those of us not good at playing detective and tell us which all names we need to read through to find out all your questions? I promise, I'll invest the time to read them all, then give you answers to your questions.

When you come to a forum and use multiple names, not only do you make it more unlikely to get good answers, but you mentally and physically tax a population of people living with a debilitating disease that makes being here at all to answer people DIFFICULT. not only that, but posting under multiple accounts makes these same folks that willingly try to help more and more suspicious of EVERYONE new. This kind of thing is going to kill any potential benefit YOU or any other scared person receives here.

So, WHO ALL HAVE YOU BEEN.? What tests have you had?

I suggest NO ONE reply to you again until you answer the questions already posed.

You do know some of these people are typing with their eyes, one letter at a time? Or with one finger? Or some, even with their feet? Others are trying to help while taking care of their loved one who has ALS, which takes up all their time. Still others have more time, because their loved PAL has been taken from them by this disease.

A little consideration would go a long way. You've obviously not read the posts on perceived weakness and true weakness, or the thread by sadiemae, or the many threads in the sticky section.

So, why don't you make it easy on those of us not good at playing detective and tell us which all names we need to read through to find out all your questions? I promise, I'll invest the time to read them all, then give you answers to your questions.

When you come to a forum and use multiple names, not only do you make it more unlikely to get good answers, but you mentally and physically tax a population of people living with a debilitating disease that makes being here at all to answer people DIFFICULT. not only that, but posting under multiple accounts makes these same folks that willingly try to help more and more suspicious of EVERYONE new. This kind of thing is going to kill any potential benefit YOU or any other scared person receives here.

So, WHO ALL HAVE YOU BEEN.? What tests have you had?

I suggest NO ONE reply to you again until you answer the questions already posed.

You do know some of these people are typing with their eyes, one letter at a time? Or with one finger? Or some, even with their feet? Others are trying to help while taking care of their loved one who has ALS, which takes up all their time. Still others have more time, because their loved PAL has been taken from them by this disease.

A little consideration would go a long way. You've obviously not read the posts on perceived weakness and true weakness, or the thread by sadiemae, or the many threads in the sticky section.

Hey NotMe,

I've been EnglishRose, DorDor and Mmmm. I know having more than one screen name is a stupid thing to do. I know I have been selfish by posting so many questions. When I first started posted I guess I didn't realise how much effort it takes just for some people on this forum to read and post replies to me, but when you say about the difficulties they go through to post it makes me feel sick at just how selfish I've been, and I know an apology doesn't mean much but I truly do apologise for my behaviour.

I have only seen GP's and have been referred to a neurologist, but my doctor insists this is not because he thinks I need to but to help my anxiety. In tests I've only had a small clinical examination of strength and reflexes from my GP, all were normal at the time. I know I have health anxiety, but I know that doesn't mean I will never getsick. I only started noticing my twitches after I read about ALS (I read it in a panic about other symptoms that I soon realised were not ALS related symptoms). Since then I have watched my left foot and lower leg atrophy in areas since July. I worry specifically about what I think looks like the start of atrophy between my foot tendons on my left foot. I don't understabd how my foot could be like this .

ib, English Rose, DD and Mmmm, full credit for owning up! Its a sight more than most do. A sincere apology goes a long way, it surely does.
You can't have atrophy without real weakness. You just can't.
I did look at your feet pictures. Well, one of your persona's feet pictures and they looked just fine to me.
I have real weakness in my hand and yet I have no atrophy yet. It takes time.
Please believe what the neuro tell you and please get some help for your anxiety. Its by far the biggest threat to your well being and happiness.

Great post, notme. More decorum than I would have used. Kudos!

ER, DD, LB and MM, thanks for womaning up. But I truly don't believe you when you said it truly makes you sick for your selfishness. I say this because of the last paragraph, especially the last sentence. I am one who voices into a phone, then uses a stylus in my mouth to correct words that the phone thinks I say or to break up the words. If I'm on my tablet, like now, I have to tap every letter out with stylus in mouth and again correct my typing errors and split the words up. Sometimes it may take me 20 minutes to type a 3 sentence po st because the tablet will accidentally co py and pa ste on me.

Setting that aside, your doc tor as well as numerous people here have told the many you's, that the only thing you suf fer from is an xi ety. Plain and simple! Your doc tor is even willing to risk his rep u tation by sending you to a neu rol ogist unneedingly. Why would you do this, other than due to your own selfishness. You say one statement that is true: Yes, one never knows when one may get sick; but now is not that time (other than your an xiety). As for the last statement, again, there is no atrophy. Your doc tor has said so.

To be perfectly honest, you don't listen to us, have not under 4 ids, why would you want to ask more of us? Don't bother responding, I know the right answer. Please do us all va favor, go to your doc tor and get put on meds. Do not come back unless its to tell us, you're happy and fund raising in memory of those here who have passed on.

Please don't think this post is meant to be harsh, its not. Just not sugar coating and trying to get my point across. Good luck to you,

Ok Rose,

If I recall, I got rather irritated at the Dordor persona. But I will move past that.

I'm going to suggest a few things. Please consider doing them.

1. Since you have admitted to yourself and us, that you have anxiety, I'd like to see you ask the doc to treat it. If you can, see a counselor, it may help, or even a member of the clergy.

2. Consider the very real possibility that your fasciculations are being caused by ome of the following:
A. Anxiety
B. Benign Fasciculation Syndrome (it's real, not a made up pat answer for twitchers)
C. Your own body tricking you. Ever heard of hysterical blindness, for instance? The person can not see...but there is nu physical. Cause, only a psychological one.
D. A defincey in an important nutrient like b-12 or potassium

3. If what you have is indeed atrophy (and I don't think it is personally) consider that atrophy in ALS is ALWAYS after the muscle has died. It simply no longer functions at all. There are other things that can cause muscle wasting other than ALS. A lot of them.

4. Keep the neuro appointment if only for your peace of mind. None of us are doctors, though you have had nurses give their opinion already from our group.

5. You are correct, people with anxiety can and do become I'll. Hypochondriacs do, too. No one here can tell you nothing is wrong. We can surmise from the symptoms you tell us that ALS does not fit.

You are not having the clinical weakness needed to account for any atrophy you are seeing. Yes, while ,uncles are dying, other muscles try to take over, but during that time, there is a very noticiple defect, even if only one muscle region is affected. One person here couldn't grip a bar of soap. Another could not push a button or open a bottle. Others were falling repeatedly due to foot drop. These kinds of things started their journey.

Loss in tendons isn't caused by ALS. feet do change in appearance. Limbs can be different sizes in perfectly healthy people.

I'm going to go make sure I addressed all your questions. When you see the neuro, honestly tell him what issues you have been having and let him/her make a determination.

EnglishRose, my reply went to moderation. It should show up in a few hours.

I think I hit all the questions you have wondered about. I truly hope you take the suggestions offered and find some answers.

I don't know your age, but it's sad to think how much of it you're spending worrying g about a disease that you are so unlikely to ever have to worry about.

One last tip for your neuro appt...don't exaggerate your symptoms. They really can tell. As for reflexes, you asked something about a self test...believe me, it's not possible to self-test.

I do wish you the best wishes, and I'm hoping you can fins the support you need in a forum where there are people that can help who aren't dealing with such serious physical limitations.

Please read all those sticky posts. All the wonderful people that started them but one have died in this last year alone.

Last edited:
Hey again Guys,

Since this thread has been started I tried to take your advice and I stayed away. I knew I shouldn't come back and i'm sorry truly but can I ask of you two questions things. I have no one else to confide in and I Know i'm not the favourite person on this board so i'm sorry of asking something of you again. It feels like a long time since I posted with my concerns but since i've been back I realise it has not, although perhaps a record for me.

1. Last night whilst walking round the house I got a tight fatigued feeling in my left calf from nowhere, like I had gone for a run. I have had fasciculatins in this calf before but it was my left foot I was more concerned about as I thought it had wastinng. What I am asking is can you have trouble with your foot and leg similtaneously? Or would it fist paralise that foot? Is it start of weakness? Also, I knothat is percieved weakness but I have read people have had similar feelings before.

2. This fatigued tightness feeling in my left calf has got me worried about wht I thought was atrophy in my left foot again ( I know I sound like a broken record). I have uploaded two more photos of my foot into my albums. Picture quality is on my phone is not very good. I am concerned of wsting between the tendons on my left foot and wasting at the side. (I don't know how to rotate the photos?). Would be grateful for insight from anyone who has foot wasting between tendons. (Is this how it stated?).

Thank you all so much for even just reading this. I took your advice so seriously.last time which is why I stayed away, if I do come back it's just to read your advice over again. I know I shouldn't have stooped so low to post for advice from you again. My neurologist's appointment is December 13th which seems so long away from it.

Lb, I took a look at the pictures. They look like healthy feet to me. And yes, 3 weeks is a record for you not posting. For that I am truly grateful. I think you need to go back and reread notme's last post. After that, please make an app oint ment with your doc tor. I don't think anyone here can help you.

Good luck to you.

PLEASE, Refrain from responding!

Lb, I took a look at the pictures. They look like healthy feet to me. And yes, 3 weeks is a record for you not posting. For that I am truly grateful. I think you need to go back and reread notme's last post. After that, please make an app oint ment with your doc tor. I don't think anyone here can help you.

Good luck to you.

PLEASE, Refrain from responding!

I know you didn't want me to respond but I wanted to say Thank You for replying :).

I think your anxiety issues really exceed the scope of this forum, and now you're wearing down the collective patience of everyone here. Please give it a rest and seek professional help for your issues. Good luck and take care.

Last edited:
Lb, that was actually meant for my family members. Sorry for the confusion.

That tightening is a mild cramping, and quite common. Please take my suggestions. Please find an anxiety forum if you are unable to find real anxiety help for some reason. If I knew your area, I could likely help find you some real help.

Sweetie, I can't tell you how bad for your real health anxiety is.vit can and will REALLY make you physically sick. You are going to start noticing fatigue, exercise intolerance, poor sleep, and a multitude of other symptoms.

Oh vwait. You're in the UK. I know nothing of healthcare there. I can tell you with complete certainty that with 4 docs seeing you, that all of the, would not have missed a concerning issue.

It is even possible you are having leg issues due to poor footwear. Try going to a good shoe store snd being fitted for a good pair of supporting tennis shoes.

I'm answering because I do believe you are not a troll and really are frightened, but this is it for me, too. I just don't think I can help, and I don't think the others can, or are willing to continue trying, as we're getting to the point where there is a fine line between help and feeding obvious anxiety.vwhen you are taking pictures, hon, that is anxiety to the nth degree.

I'd help if I could, I just don't believe this forum can. If I can find a forum for anxiety, will you go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back