Neck pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband has Bulbar Onset ALS and has charley horses in his neck frequently which are quite painful. As I understand, as his neck muscles become weaker it will be harder for him to hold up his head which puts a strain on the existing muscle and this could become painful.

I don't have MMN, but am suffering from neck pain as we speak. I was hoping it was the way I slept the other night but 3 days later and still no relief. Even doubling the oxy has brought no relief just the tired feeling. I have tried the heating pad, too. My next step is a few new super soft pillows. I do hope you find relief, I'm waiting for mine on the other side of the phone line.

Thanks for responding, I just can't seem to shake this neck pain & crazy headache. I am blaming it on my crappy pillow, I will be purchasing a new one soon! :)

Vickie, I have always used the extra firm pillows. But I have noticed in the last couple of months my soft body pillow has found its way under my head. I just texted my husband to get one extremely soft squishy pillow to see if this will help. I hope so as I'm at the end of my rope on this one.

Oops, missed the headache part. Please keep a watch on that. Often times we just lump it and blame it all on whatever di sease we have. Make sure its not something else. If tyle nol or mo trin doesn't relieve any pain, please call your doc tor.

My hubby (Bulbar onset) has developed neck pain more recently as his neck muscles are a lot weaker,
and his head is tending to hang forwards more now. We are going to see the physio soon for a support of some kind.
He is complaining about pain at the back of his neck, top of his shoulders and up the back of his head sometimes,
but no big headaches thank goodness...
Feldene (Piroxicam) gel rub helps ease it for him 2 - 3 times a day..

I traced my neck, upper back and head pains to Bacloflen. I stopped taking it and had no more pain.

Some with neck pain need a neck brace from weakened muscles. Have u mentioned to your doc yet?

I agree with the above posts. Weakened neck muscles surely do cause pain. This could lead to a headache... think tension headaches. But I also agree with Toto. Its better to let the Doc know if it doesnt subside- just to make sure. It would be beneficial to try out a soft collar neck brace. It gives minimal support. If you are having an issue with holding your head up at all- a hard neck brace would be more beneficial.

Has anyone ever tried the water pillows, are they beneficial or not so much?
Darryl

My Mom is starting to lean forward too. I have to talk with home healthcare about this.

my neck muscle are very weak and i use rom, heat and massage to get relief with mo tr in and ba clo fen add when it gets too bad( headaches and neck/shoulder pain) but please remeber that low oxygen ( common with weak neck muscles) is also a BIG cause of headaches. please dont ever assume with this **** disease. sleeping with your head in a flexed position can interfer with your breathing and cause your o2 to drop. As form pillows i think i have 16 in our room and change constently trying to find baby bear's...the serch continues

I'm having difficulty with my right arm/ hand. I found that I was hunching my shoulder to try to get them to work. This was causing stress on my trapezius and since muscle cramping is part of the fun with mmn the result was neck pain and headaches. I braced my right wrist to keep my hand from flopping around and avoid reaching in a way that makes me hunch. This seemed to help some.

all of this started with neck pain.It has been unbearable at times(My husband had an injury when symptoms began)Doctors keep dismissing it.Now it comes and goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back