Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
Utah
City
Hurricane
While in the States last month, I became aware of another one of those "Really" experiences with ALS.

We were staying at a motel with a swimming pool, well I always make use of a swimming pool it makes me feel better, at least in the past. As I eased into the pool, the floating sensation was great after the stuggles with walking. So I was able to forget about the ALS for a moment. Then I made a move that snapped me back to reality, I shoved off to swim, the legs no longer worked for thrust and I started to sink, my only thought was "Really", good thing it wasn't a deep pool, I was able to float to the side. So thank-you ALS, another enjoyment taken.

My husband had a similar expirence. He went into a pool and was floating on his back. When he tried to roll over his legs wouldn't go down..but his head would. My brother in law was standing next to him and didn't realize anything was wrong. Scary few seconds for my husband.

So sorry for your experience. My husband had the same thing happen. We bought a top rate life vest and solved the problem!

i am so sorry..

So sorry for your experience. Yasmin.

I had to stop swimming, which I love doing. About 2 years ago when I wasn't able to get my breath and my legs weren't moving me, I was going under fast, but luckily I was closed to the edge and worked my way back to the stairs. In my good days I swam 40 lengths every day. I didn't like having to give it up but that's the way it goes. It's good to find something you can still do and enjoy it to the fullest. I finally got my power chair and can go out in my community again. I use to walk everywhere and sitting inside was a killer. Now I love driving it in the sun or on cloudy days- it's almost like walking- only I can go faster and beep all those 20 year olds with their I pads and ear plugs right off the sidewalk. Bets sitting inside watching the world. It makes me still a part of where I live and that makes me feel important. I've had so much trouble trying to get diagnosed and know that I'm there I'm not very angry anymore. One needs to let it go or the time you have slips away in anger and fear.

So sorry to hear. I had similar experience. I swam all my life. I grew up on the water. Now I can't swim because I can't hold my breath and legs are not very strong.

I have an above ground pool and I did still go in this past summer, but I just walked around.
Like Karen, I got a scooter and go for walks with my neighbor when he walks his dogs. I had to find a new something to do after yet another loss. It really helps me to get out.

Itbeauti- I looked for your site but couldn't find it in the member list. I thought you might want to chat- Karin Bolette Sonne and Karin Bolette are my two sites. I lost my username and reset ending up with 2 sites. Send me a note maybe we have other things in common. Not a lot of people want to hear about our problems even old friends. Karin

I too was a swimmer and felt I was drowning. We had a float that I would lay on. I fell asleep I felt so relaxed.

Please be careful getting into water that surrounds your chest. Early on, my husband found that he could no longer get into a pool, Jacuzzi or the ocean, even though he had strong legs and only one arm was really affected to the point of weakness. The reason was water pressure on his diaphragm. He felt like he was being crushed and could not catch his breath.

Oh my! You all have probably saved Rog. He got a new pair of swim trunks to wear in the pool at San Diego....he may be dangling his legs in the shallow end if at all! I will be very alert!

Thank you all soooo much!

Jen

Thank you too. I was wanting to try therapy at our Y. I think I will stick to dry land.

I know how yoou feel, just whenyou have a chance NOT to think about your disorder, it slaps you in the face like how dare you forget! ONE day there will be a treatment and we can be like, take that! Although we might sound a little nuts, I dont care :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back