Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
P
City
O
I have noticed wasting in both my left lower leg and small muscles in the left foot (ones you don't use much, medial arch or abductor hallucis i think its called?). The foot atrophy i noticed around little of 3 months ago. The left lower leg i'm not sure, perhaps around the same time but definately over a month ago. I also have twitching in both lower extremeties (both calves and feet). I haven't got any weakness. I don't know if its because i don't use these muscles much, but i can still move my foot muscle and stand on tip toes with the lower leg. Its hard for me to say what the lower leg muscle is, but when i stand on my tip toes, my right leg is seperated into three muscles, the calf, a musvle under the calf and a little ball like muscle to the side of the lower leg. It is this small ball like muscle that appears gone or much flatter. The one under the calf is also slightly less than the right i think. I have read that sometimes in atrophy in als the other muscles make up for the wasted ones and therefore no weakness is noticed. How long do you think its possible for these muscles to remain working for others without clinical weakness, is mine of 3 months too long? Also, is the lower leg muscle particularly important in standing in tip toes and my other muscles would simply not be able to accommodate for it?

Thank You
Mmmm.

Are u seeing atrophy or is a doctor seeing atrophy? People with ALS have some form of weakness long before atrophy becomes apparent.

Originally my hand weakness was thought to have been a second stroke, but again, the following atrophy was months away.

One should never try to diagnose atrophy themselves.

In my lower leg it is me seeing the atrophy, i have never shown a doctor. Although, at my GP's they have conducted strength tests on my leg which are the same on both sides. The doctor has noted difference in feet but has said doesn't think atrophy because not weakness in there. Tome the difference in my lower leg is much noticeable. I just don't know if it would be possible to not experience weakness there if you had atrophy there?

Are u seeing atrophy or is a doctor seeing atrophy? People with ALS have some form of weakness long before atrophy becomes apparent.

Originally my hand weakness was thought to have been a second stroke, but again, the following atrophy was months away.

One should never try to diagnose atrophy themselves.

Then the simple answer is that yes, if there is true atrophy, there would be weakness. If there is no clinical weakness, there isn't atrophy.

Does that help?

In leg and especially foot atrophy, standing on tip toes would be impossible. Many people just don't realize always that two limbs can just look different.

A doctor can notice a weakness that you wouldn't notice. My doc found weakness in my legs months before I noticed the weakness.

I have noticed wasting, foot atrophy, 3 months ago. I haven't got any weakness.

Can you explain to me how you have atrophy months before weakness, I always have weakness ages before I have atrophy. But then I just have MND so....... go figure.

Thank you,
Kiwisally

Yes, you have helped from your response to the post. Thank you for responding, i appreciate it :).

Mmmm.

Then the simple answer is that yes, if there is true atrophy, there would be weakness. If there is no clinical weakness, there isn't atrophy.

Does that help?

In leg and especially foot atrophy, standing on tip toes would be impossible. Many people just don't realize always that two limbs can just look different.

A doctor can notice a weakness that you wouldn't notice. My doc found weakness in my legs months before I noticed the weakness.

Notme,

After your last po sting on another thre ad, I hate to do this, but I have to.

I believe this po ster, is Dor dor, English Rose and her many other alter egos. One quick pm to David would solve it. It wouldn't be the first time.

As for Mmmm, Notme answered your question.

Toto, if they aren't the same person, they should certainly get in touch with each other. They all seem to live on the same side of the keyboard in the UK.

I thought it was one of the alter ego's of dor dor, until I looked at the profile and realised this person joined in 2008.

How peculiar, the persons screen name is Mmmm but when you click on the view profile you are redirected to a profile with the name of MMmm. That person joined in 2008 and is stated to be a caregiver of someone with ALS. This person's forum info does say the joined in 2012 (my bad) and they are instrested in learning. Weird

Even odder, if you follow the link within this thread for Mmmm you can find Mmmm's other posts. If you click on Mmmm's name in this tread and are taken to MMmmm profile page, click stats, there are not posts, at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back