Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
no
State
oslo
City
oslo
I am a man at 41 that thinks I have ALS.
Have had two years with training a lot of weights. In April I suddenly got lots of anxiety regarding my own health. So I stopped taking the protein and glutamine supplements I had taken for a month (only in recommended doses). In the start of June I started waking up during the night with cramp in feet and hands (no cramping during daytime) and in June I became very stiff in my back and neck muscles. Now I only get cramps in one of my hands during night. In June I got continuous fasciculations in my legs (very lively legs) and was sent to nevro, blood ok, spinal ok, but three dark spots on MRI. No clinical weakness found at all, and the following EMG was normal. Now more fasciculations in thigh (random just above knees, neck (that seems to have the same rhythm as my pulse, so can this be my pulse having become visible, inside my arms (thin lines from where they do the blood test, which also seems to follow my pulse?) and archs. Have felt weak (fatigue) since April and have according to myself developed athropy/dents in thighs, calves and arms. Also some swallow problems and tired jaws but not choking liquids or any comments that my speech is unclear. Yesterday I went to the gym just to test my strength after six months of ‘inactivity’ I am at roughly the same level as before (Squat 5repsX110kg, bench press 10repsX80kg, calf press 10repsX230kg, shoulder press 10repsX60 kg, and biceps/triceps same as before).
1. Have anyone had the same symptoms as I have and have developed ALS? What do you think this is; ALS, anxiety, cramp syndrom?
2. If this was ALS related fasciculations would I not have been weak at this point?
3. Did any of you guys, that have ALS, have dark spots on MRI?
Br anxious man

What did your doc say about MRI spots?

And do read those threads Sadie kindly dug up for you!

notme - they said that dark spots could be seen on MRI for some healthy people, people with migrene. Anther nevro said it could be fluid (not dangerous). I have read all those threads but my MRI worries me.

have read them all (except for healthy1) and found them very useful but my MRI worries me

Congratulations! Your doctors have told you there is nothing to worry about, which is wonderful news. I realise that it can be difficult to overcome anxiety but it's a lot easier than overcoming ALS so be grateful that you don't have to worry about that.

You can, of course, carry on worrying about your MRI until you die or the sun goes nova, whichever comes first. On the other hand that's a pretty futile way of spending your life, but it's your life so if that is what you want then do carry on. But please don't take up yet more of the very precious time and very precious energy of those with ALS who are reaching out to help people whose doctors think that they should worry about it...

As we age, there are changes on the MRI. if it really concerns you, get a copy of the report for yourself and read it.

MRIs of the brain are most commonly used to diagnosed MS and stroke. They are a routine part of an ALS workup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back