Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
wisconsin
City
milwaukee
Hey everyone, I've been a lurker here for a few months. Lately my symptom(s) have been getting me very worried.

Background: I am a 21 year old male and eat healthy for the most part. I weight lift about 3 times a week on average. Lately I havn't been hitting the gym so much.

Anyways, for the past few months my right leg has felt "off". Walking feels very strange and I am constantly aware of my right leg as though I have to put forth an effort in order to walk correctly. The motion in the leg doesn't feel fluid/automatic like it does in my left leg. Literally every step I feel as though I have to lift up at the ankle or else my foot may drag. My ankle also feels very loose and fatigues quickly (for instance when jogging after a few minutes my ankle gets so tired that I start landing flat footed, the left foot strikes with the heel.)

I have tried ignoring the problem but it won't go away. It feels like I don't know how to walk with that leg. Lately what worries me the most is that the leg is constantly cramping/achy. I'm almost positive that it is not dehydration/electrolyte imbalance because I am a nutrition student, and like I said I eat pretty healthy. I have never suffered leg cramps before and this seems to be almost constant and has been going on for a little over a week.

Some other symptoms I have noticed is that the affected leg feels very weak although it is not, I have been very tired lately, and have had many twitches in the right leg.

That's basically my story in a nut shell. I know that many people end up finding ALS on google and coming here right away, so I hope that I'm not a bother. Also I realize that my age is definitely very young for someone to have ALS, and twitches/perceived weakness don't indicate it either. It's just the strange feeling like I can't walk with my right leg/constant aches that have finally make an account on this site.

If anyone has any in sight of what might be wrong / where I should go from here I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Oh, and to elaborate on the cramping. It is mostly in the thigh and the calf has been feeling very tight, regardless if I stretch it or not

Please see your doctor.

Jen

Yes. You should go to your Dr's.

I am truly sorry you are having trouble with your leg. You will not know why you feel the way you do until you see a dr. Please, I urge you to see a dr. Can I ask how and why someone of your age would jump to the conclusion of ALS? I hope you find a different answer.

*Sigh*

I'm covered under my mothers insurance and really don't want another hospital bill. :(

I've already been 3 times this year...gastritis, swollen lymph node for 3 months, and chest pain...

Is it possible that anxiety could cause these symptoms? I tend to be a hypochondriac

ALS is pretty rare, even more so in your age group... but you do need to see your doc for an evaluation. Lack of B12 can cause many problems, and there's a test to see how your body assimilates it (you could have normal levels and not be getting it). When I started a higher dose of Vit D, many of my twitches went away. Not that I'm saying you should run out and do this, but ask your doc and do some research on this stuff.

Good luck!

You are obviously worried or you wouldn't be here. We can't give you a magic internet eval. Go to your doc. As a nutrition student, you should know that is the wisest thing to do. In the meantime, eat a lot of spinach, halibut and black beans.

N,

I agree with the others. Go to your doc tor. As for the B - 12 absorption, you'll need the Schil ling's Te st. And by going to the doc tor, it could relieve any hea lth an xi ety, that you may have. Its good to be honest with us and yourself about any an xi ety. So I thank you for that.

Good Luck.

A visit to your PCP is in order because you have some concerns. Don't let that anxiety get out of hand.

My vote is...see your doctor.

My un expert opinion is that you've probably injurednyournlegmin some manner, or perhaps even your back so your first stop needs to be your GP.

ALS at your age would be extremely rare. Not even sure why you'd have even considered it at this point to be honest.

In lieu of injury, a vitamin deficiency would be next on the list. Listen to your body, but don't let it control you. You couldn't run and jog with ALS in your leg, and foot drop is pretty obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back