Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
alabama
City
leeds
first time poster here. i have been reading through these for forums for the last few days hoping to find some answers but have not come across anything that points to me. lost my mother a few months to ago in a car accident. less than a month letter had pain in my shoulder blade. looked on the internet to see what it could be and scared myself. went to dr and had xray which showed nothing. decided it was an inflammation gave me steriod pack and muscle relaxer. muscle relaxer made me sick, spent next three weeks naseous and dizzy. then developed twitch in my tongue. went back to internet and sent myself into a panic. started feeling twitched all over my body. went back to dr and was referred to neurologist. saw neurologist, he asked a few questions, checked my eyes, ran a pin up and down arms, legs and back, had me walk across the room and then back to him in a straight line. pushed and pulled on me (i guess to test my strength). is that what is meant by a clinical exam? told me i had bsf and thought i had a pinched nerve in my neck. now i have pain in my fingers of my left hand and in the toes of my left foot. feels like a cramp but nothing is curling inward when it happens. could this be the beginning of als?:

Yes, that is a clinical exam. I'm sorry for the loss of your Mom. It sounds like you're stressed out. Nothing you describe sounds anything like ALS so don't worry about that. Research BFS. Not ALS.

thank you for responding. i am not normally an anxious person but with the sudden loss everything sends me into a panic now. i truly admire your courage. this scare has given me a new outlook on life. i am trying to enjoy everything i have and everything i can do because i know how quickly it can be taken away.

You're still grieving too. Go easy on yourself Sweetling. Do you have someone with you in your life?

my son(17 years old) lost his father in a car accident when he was four, my family and my two cats. my new babies for when my baby leaves the nest.

Wow, no wonder you're twitchy. Hugs to you! May God grant you peace.

Sorry about your mom. Those are not symptoms of ALS. Go now and rest knowing you do not have it. Grieve for your mom without any thought of this.

I have had the pain in my toes and fingers on and off (mostly on) for the last month. also had pain in leg muscles. went to ob/gyn and she told me take magnesium and did blood test to check for things (what things i don't know) but said everything looked good except my b12 was low so i am taking that now as well. also prozac because she thought i am depressed (ya think?) any way the magnesium definately helped with the leg pains but so far nothing as helped with the finger and toe pain. i shouldn't be worried about als since i am still having them after a month?

It doesn't sound like ALS, as the pain in your limbs come after the weakness, not before. Please look at BFS, and don't worry about ALS anymore. I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom. Good luck.

Go to Aboutbfs.com. they have many answers and a chat room also.

No this is not ALS. Now live your life happy and stay healthy for the rest of us dealing with this disease. You owe it to you loved ones lost to honor their lives by living yours healthier and better everyday.

Remember the two things that every person needs are free, people just wont take advantage of it. Diet and Exercise. If you are Obese start a diet and exercise program. If you are a smoker STOP!

I am so sick of seeing people destroying themselves while no matter what I do nothing will work.

Also for all you people out there trying to second guess your Doctor and diagnose yourself on the computer......STOP!

Low B-12 can cause all kinds of weird sensations,, dear. See if they will do an MRI for that possible pinched nerve in your neck?

thank you to everyone who responded to my message. I can not even begin to imagine the things you all have to deal with on a daily basis and yet you still come on here and offer your knowledge to others. Thank you.
the neurologist I saw said for me to come back in three months if the pinched nerve in my neck was not healed. He said 80% of the time they correct themselves. So if it still bothering my by Labor day I will go back and ask for an MRI to find out what is wrong.
Again thank you all. Though I don't know you by names I will still keep you in my prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back