Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Kelowna
I have been visiting this forum for a couple months as I have experienced symptoms. I would like to begin by saying how much all of the work that goes into this forum is appreciated by all who visit. Your commitment to supporting all those who need is is amazing. Thank you very much.
I am a 39 year old male and over the last couple months I have been having symptoms that include muscle twitching, reduced coordination in hands, atrophy in hands and other muscle groups in the upper body.
I have visited my GP. He said he wasn't concerned but referred me to a neurologist at my request. The clinical exams with all of the regular tests of strength, babinski, hoffman etc were all fine. There were no noted issues in gait or muscle tone in the report. The first neuro sent me to another neuro to have a limb emg and it was clean as well and was told no ALS.

The emg was about a week and a half ago. Since that time however, I seem to be experiencing bulbar type symptoms. My tongue seems a little less flexible, my voice is a little hoarse (though my wife says she can't notice any difference), and I seem to require an extra breath or two occassionally while talking at length. I have no slurring or swallowing difficulties with liquids or solids. I have severe anxiety about all this and am finding it hard to function an a daily basis.

My questions are concerning these symptoms that have occurred after the emg and reports indicating no ALS. I thought for sure that the emg would indicate a problem with some atrophy and coodination difficulty. They did not do a bulbar emg as I was demonstrating no symptoms.

What do you think about my recent bulbar symptoms? Could I have ALS and the EMG simply did not pick it up as that part of my body wasn't tested? Could the emg have missed something in my limbs? Would it be possible to show ALS symptoms in the bulbar and all the limbs in just a few weeks?

I am sorry for the length of this post. I am hopeful that some of you will share your thoughts with me.

Thank you.

Simply put. NO

" Could I have ALS and the EMG simply did not pick it up as that part of my body wasn't tested? Could the emg have missed something in my limbs? Would it be possible to show ALS symptoms in the bulbar and all the limbs in just a few weeks? "

NO, absolutely not.

Question answered. Thread closed

Also, keep this in mind when you get to worrying - when you get bulbar or pseuobulbar speech problems, you are usually the last person to notice. I had people asking me if I was sick over the phone for months before I realized I was hoarse.

Exactly Beky. My husband was accused of drinking due to his slurred speech, he never noticed it.

Same goes here. I would ask my husband if he had stopped by for more than a couple of drinks on more than a couple of occasions. Finally he was accused of being drunk on the job by a customer, in the middle of the day!

Even after his d x , as his speech s l o w l y declined, he thought he sounded fine.

When my brother first noticed his issue, which was slurred speech, he was the one who could tell first. He said singing was too hard and he felt like his tongue was getting thicker. He also complained of excess salvation. We did not notice it at first, then after a couple months it was noticable to everyone and of course people thought he had been drinking. It took about a year of multiple Drs, testing etc to get a final diagnosed of ALS, but now it is full blown and he has all bulbar symptoms and almost no purposeful use of his hands. :-(

Just thought I would share that not everyone is the same. Sue

Rocks,
If you have it, there's not a thing you can do about it.

If you HAVE it, you are wasting time talking and questioning it. (get out there and enjoy your freedom)
If you DON'T have it, your wasting your time talking and questioning it. (get out there and enjoy your freedom)

If professionals have told you you're good, then go with that.

Absolutely nothing will mess you up more than anxie ty.

Good luck to you.

Cheers,
Casey

Casey

You have a great way with words, and if we had a like button I would like it!

Rocks,
If you have it, there's not a thing you can do about it.

If you HAVE it, you are wasting time talking and questioning it. (get out there and enjoy your freedom)
If you DON'T have it, your wasting your time talking and questioning it. (get out there and enjoy your freedom)

If professionals have told you you're good, then go with that.

Absolutely nothing will mess you up more than anxie ty.

Good luck to you.

Cheers,
Casey

This, this this.

If the symptoms remain troublesome, keep working with your GP and assume it's something treatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back