Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
Can symptoms subside? I ask because my hubby WAS very spastic, WAS crampy and WAS emotional. All of those symptoms have subsided--still there but not at all as bad as they were. I think they are all UMN symptoms--correct me if i am wrong. Nothing is getting better, but it is nice not to cramp up in the middle of the night!

Interesting question... you mean, like, for weeks at a time subsided, or just day to day? Because I have good days and bad days with all three of those things, but never just subsiding for lengthy periods.

Whichever way, Hooray for your hubby! Sounds good to me!

This is great Miss Barbie -

Like Sarah, I too have good and bad days (luckily more gooder than badder days).

But - I believe in miracles! They happen everyday - so why not to one of us peeps?

Hope it keeps up for you!

several years ago, i would often awake with such a severe cramp that my left calf would be sore the next day, even after leaping from bed to work it out. this was way pre-diagnosis. i dont have those cramps any more. also, mine started in my left hand and i used to have a lot of twitching in that arm but not so much any more, now that its pretty much useless. is this the kind of 'subside' that you mean?

Well, if less of the extra "go juice" that the UMN's kick out as spasticity make it down the LMN's, UMN symptoms do get better. In that case, you have more flaccid weakness, though, usually.

I echo Susan's post. The disease seems to go and go and then it seems to plateau. I think that is because the damage has been permanently done. Then, it picks up in other areas.

My severe leg cramps have definitely subsided, probably for a three month period. However, if I walk a lot there will be a fairly light calf muscle cramp while in bed at night. Also, my fingers tend to cramp if put under heavy stress such as opening a very tight jar lid. I don't like cramps ! ! !

I also have good days and bad days. If I do a lot, I may have more of those symptoms you mention the 'next' day. Also, if I get stressed (and I certainly was right after diagnosis) my symptoms are all much worse. I think some of my symptoms are not as bad because my stress has leveled off and i've accepted the diagnosis and am living with it, rather than fighting it and denying it.

I'm so glad he's feeling better.

Susan that is exactly what I meant. certainly not getting better (i wish!) but just changing. I am happy his cramping is gone--hate to see that pain when it happens.

My husbands cramps are gradually subsiding and the tightness of his muscles seem to be relaxing. He used to have pain in his curled hands but his hands seemed to have relaxed and we have gradually straightened them. He used to have horrific spasticity in his legs but they to seem to have relaxed and spasms ceased - they are floppier but very heavy. Very rarely now does he seem to shoot his legs out in spasm. Of course no limbs work at all but at least they dont hurt so bad. It makes him more relaxed which is a blessing.

Susan that is exactly what I meant. certainly not getting better (i wish!) but just changing. I am happy his cramping is gone--hate to see that pain when it happens.

As LMN symptoms progress (atrophy, weakness) the LMN symptoms (cramping, spasticity) lessen - in our case. So, yes, less pain and discomfort, but... D

Unfortunately, I think when the cramping and spasms stop completely, it may mean the muscle is totally gone and not getting any messages anymore that cause the cramps?

I find that if I do much of anything, the cramps and spasms in my legs and hands are just awful. I keep reminding myself that if they were gone, that might not be a good sign.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back