Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
UK
State
Tyne and Wear
City
Newcastle upon Tyne
You would not believe what happened to me today, was sitting in the wheel chair at, St Oswald’s day centre main entrance, and just waiting the bus back home, when the phone got a message.

Lifted it out my pocket and managed to drop it under the damn wheel chair. In moving the chair backwards I could not see it so lifted the footplates to get a better view, heard a crunch and thought it’s smashed now.

So moved the chair back a bit further so I could see it, in spotting it I leaned forward using my goods left arm to pick it up. But my arm inside the bend for the elbow, the shirt caught the control and the chair started to move forward pulling me off my seat and onto my knees then starting to run my own legs over

I heard a scream it was the vicar, (that day a also indeed guardian angel), I had managed to unhook my shirt sleeve so the wheel chair had stopped but was well and truly stuck on my lower legs, I was on my knees unable to move, if it had gone any further it would have put me literally on my face.

The vicar was in a state of shock, god bless her, saying she would go and get help, I quickly replied too her to move the wheel chair backwards to ease the pain, the weight of the chair off my legs, she was terrified to do that but she did it, and then ran indoors to get help.

I knelt on my knees for what was possibly just seconds, yet seemed an eternity. I’m ok in that I can walk with my stick but once on my knees I am helpless to get up unless there is something to push on

Then s whole army of angel; nurses appeared to help me to my feet god bless each and every one of them.

I hugged that vicar, my guardian angel for the day, a man dying from Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
, common obstructive pulmonary disease, cancer growth and a hernia

As it is I had been up all night after going to bed at 12 to be up at 2 for the loo, then every literal 10 to 20 minutes. I know this is a bit of a funny story but it brought me so close near to tears typing it out, wondering why me and the wife have so much bad luck over the last two years more so, and why the devil will not just back off us both more so myself permanently

Knees are grazed ankles are bruised and my phone still works, thank God but the message disappeared

Sorry this happened, Christopher but I'm glad you're relatively OK. Yasmin.

We need to start a "PALS Run Over By Their Own Wheelchair" Club! You are not alone... I'm reading quite a few similar stories on here lately! Glad you see the humour in it... laughter is the best medicine, after all!

Oh Chris! I'm so sorry this happened to you! Get a "reacher". Mine has been such a blessing for me. I keep it on my PWC at all times. And ALWAYS disengage the drive before reaching for anything, even to turn on the water at the sink.
God bless you. I hope there are better days ahead for you two.

Oh Chris, I'm so sorry! Glad you have your sense of humor a d hope you heal quickly!

Jen

Oh Chris, so sorry about your run-in... or run-over with your chair. I think your chair is like Di's, and needs to be taught a lesson! Your story did remind me of one that I think Barry wrote when I was first on here, about getting stuck when trying to scratch his butt in bed... not sure I have the story attributed to the right PALS!

Hope you feel better...

wow - what kind of phone do you have that a 350# chair can run it overand it still works? glad you're ok.

That is terrible to go through....I am glad there were 'angels' there to help you! I ask WHY all the time, as to why my Mom has to have ALS, all I can do is have faith in our Lord that she will be taken care of. I will keep praying for you and your family Christopher, may God help ease your pain. Keep your head up.

Perhaps there was a conversation in heaven today that started like this: "Have you considered my servant Christopher?" Or, something else to encourage you: Mother Theresa once said, "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle; I just wish He didn't trust me so much." Consider it an honor.

Come on Chris! Don't you know you're not supposed to drink and drive? lol Seriously, I'm very glad to hear you weren't hurt worse. That had to be pretty scary. Take care! Kim

Oh Christopher, you make me laugh, you make me smile, but mostly you make me think about life differently. Thank you for your posts. And I thank God you are safe today. Jamiem

Chris you have to admit that was kind of funny at the beginning .l had this visual .Sorry you were hurt.
We neet to start a wheelchair mishap thread. I had many a mishap .Thank god we can laugh about it now

God speed
Pat

Chris, I've run over myself and dragged myself onto the floor with my scooter a few times by catching my clothes in the throttle. I've finally learned that if I'm leaning over or standing up and leaning forward to first turn off the blinking key.

so glad you are ok and dont do it again , hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back