I had to be so brave today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missy, I'm glad you're back home with your son and that things went well. I understand how you must have felt and also the fragility of it all. Take care. Yasmin.

LOTS of pain. LOTS of swelling. But, all will be well. Moms of boys beware. If your son EVER has testicular pain, get him to the ER immediately. It is not normal for a teenage boy to have pain unless he has been hit. If the pain lasts for more than 10 minutes, take him to the ER or he could lose his testicle! (They forgot to tell them this in sex ed here.)

Hope today is more comfortable.

They should tell them about this in gym class, never mind sex ed. I knew a man in his late 20's that got diagnosed with testicular cancer after his 3 year old kicked him you know where while roughhousing... saved his life that kick!

Missy,

They offer sex ed in school? Aren't you living in the Bible Belt? Our kids aren't taught anything but abstinence. So no, that wouldn't have been a ppro ved here. But glad you were able to catch it and prayers to no long term maladies.

And you lady, are a rock! You may not think so, but you are.

Sending healing with pain relief,

Yes, even deep in the heart of dixie, our church offers sex ed. In 5th grade, there is a class for the boys, a class for the girls and a class for the parents (so that we know what they are learning and when). They don't talk about anything but abstinence until 8th grade. Then they introduce EVERYTHING (but the fact that testicular pain in boys is an ER event!)

FYI: I am a member of the United Methodist Church - fairly conservative.

My son just had sex ed, in 7th grade... they separate out the boys from the girls in these classes, and the male teachers teach the boys, etc. They send a note home if you don't sign it, they won't go to the class. I don't think they deal with abstinence per se, but more the biology of it, the precautions etc. I do know there were lots of questions, I'm sure the teachers could write a book on the questions they're asked!

My son came home with all kinds of jokes... typical 7th grader, but I do know that when my daughter was that age, she knew many girls and boys already "doing" it.

Missy,

You are a very brave woman. I'm glad your son is recovering well. It must have been scary for the both of you. xo

Missy,

I'm teaching 7th grade aliens next year and will add that info into the sex-ed chapter. I have to teach abstinence, but explain that to the pregnant 7th grader I had a couple of years ago.

I hope your son feels better soon! What a time you've had!

Funny story: We had just moved in to our neighborhood and my daughter went over to the neighbor's to play. When she came home, she said, "Mom, Mr. R. just had brain surgery and he's lying on the couch." I call next door to see if everything was okay and did they need a meal or two. My friend asks me why I'm offering and I tell her what Melissa had said. She starts laughing and said he'd had his tubes tied and his head brain was fine....20 years later, he still gets teased about "brain surgery."

Jen

Glad you both are home. Thinking of you and sending you positive energy through our posts.

Brain surgery! Ha ha ha! Guess that's what you have when you think with your zipper! Thanks for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back