View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 09:43 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

Marci is an unknown quantity at this point
New Member (Say Hi)
Marci is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lisa,

I'm new to this website too. I had to reply to your e-mail as it was all too familiar. My mom was 66 when she was diagnosed last April/03. She is my best friend as well. My dad is her primary caregiver and he is wonderful with her so I am very lucky. I try to help out when I can.

Her symptoms started with her legs too. She used to fall a lot, but she uses a walker now. She wants to walk with it as long as humanly possible even though it is quite hard for her by now. Her speech was fine until December/January of this year. It is starting to really fade now. She has become short of breath at the simplest tasks.

I try to see her as often as I can ...but as Carol said, you have to take care of yourself and your family as they are still part of your life, and you can't feel guilty about doing that. You have to take care of your health to be strong for your mom. It is really hard at first because you don't know what is going to happen....it never really gets easy. And as Carol said, it's like Wham, another change comes that you are not prepared for. But you just have to have faith that you will be able to handle the changes however they happen….and you will.

Hopefully you have friends that you can talk to about it. I've been blessed with friends that don't really know about ALS but they are learning through me on this journey with my mom. You will find some friends that don't want to talk about it and that's okay. Do whatever it takes to find a strong support system around you.

I'm always willing to listen and it looks like there are a lot of people here who really care...