Status
Not open for further replies.
When my children received social security I did not include it on my tax return because it was their money not mine. My children were getting it because their dad was receiving SSDI. Every year I had to account for how I spent the money which was pretty easy considering how expensive it is to feed, clothe, and school them.

Thank you, Mary!

It's taken me all day to ferret out my husband's debts! No paper bills. All online passwords, secret questions, etc... I cannot believe, after hacking into his email, how many debts he owed!

I've printed out statements and some accounts were open but had no balance.

Y'all don't talk to your pALS' creditors. They hire a special company to "guilt" you into paying whatever they owed and try to get you to transfer the debt to your name. You will have to send them the death cert and a letter...this varies depending on the state you live in. In some states, unfortunately, the spouse is responsible for their debt. Check it out NOW, not after the fact!

CJ
I am SO sorry that it just isn't ending. I wish you strength and send you lots of love. I drove through your town on Wed and thought of YOU.

Hi Missy,
You will receive a 1099r( from the financial institution that handled the ira change ) in january of the year following the ira change . It will be coded to show that an IRA transfer due to death took place . The 1099 r will be your proof that taxes are not due on the ira change . Check with your financial institution that the 1099r will be coded correctly . Hope this helps you !

CJ makes a good point about the death certificate... and everyone that needs one wants an original. The funeral director took care of ordering them for us... don't skimp... we ordered 20 and I have 3 left which I still might need to use.

Gosh CJ, you do a great job of sharing so much helpful information. You explain everything so well. Yasmin

Great pamphlet, CJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back