Has physical therapy helped you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had another PT session on Thursday. We worked on balance issues. It was quite tough! My PT had to catch me three times as I was not strong enough to do some of these exercises. I was a bit sore and quite spastic that evening. I now have to work on putting a schedule together for all this; riding my recumbent bike, stretching, and all the PT exercises. I work full time, so best time is right after work. I have also learned to not beat myself up too bad, if I'm just TOO tired to do this. My PT really wants to help me and is so understanding and I've taught him some things about PLS that he did not know. Thanks to all who have posted here. Very interesting to hear how others are doing. Blessings to all.

LouLou

I call my physiotherapist Dr. Pavlov and I'm his dog...lol. He puts a strap around me so he can catch me from falling, so the falling thing is normal especially on balance. I've been doing physiotherapy for a long time. One thing my physiotherapist does that helps considerably is to stretch me. I don't have the strength to stretch hips or gluts. Ahhhh...feels so good. I don't work so it is easier for me. Good luck and don't get discouraged. I do the bike for 12 minutes at physiotherapy. You must be in gait training. If you go to regular physiotherapy, the bike should be your warm up. I do 12 minutes before he starts on muscles building exercises and balance. Take care and don't get discouraged, it gets easier. I have been doing physiotherapy since 2005. You may want to try aqua therapy also. It is much easier for strengthening.

I just read on als/mnd forum that the clinical trials are doing well in US. If I had ALS, I would go. Other countries are further along in treatment of chronic diseases because they don't have FDA. Please read posts in ALS/MND forum on clinical trials in US.

i have pt twice a week i get electro therapy for my right foot, it doesnot cure but it stimulates the muscles to stretch which i can't do on my own. It prevents my muscles getting more weak or at least slowing down that process.

Still meeting with my PT once a week and trying hard to do these exercises at home. I have noticed that my night time hip aches have subsided since I've been doing the hip strengthening exercises. They are the ones where you place a stretchy band above your knee area and do bent leg lifts one side at a time. It is tough... and I can only do 30-35 of them. During the evaluation by my PT, he noticed that my right leg is weaker than my left. Seems funny as my left leg has been the problem since symptoms began 2.5 years ago. I do notice when I do some of the exercises, that my right side is much weaker. There is another exercise where you are on the floor and you raise one leg straight back and then raise the opposite hand and try to balance. I tip over 95% of the time. Looks like it should be easy, but it is not. Sometimes I get so frustrated and other times I just laugh! My main goal is to stay strong and keep on walking. I've been using a cane for about 5 weeks now and it's going fine. I feel so much more secure and have not fallen since using it. :)

Blessings... LouLou

LouLou,
I'm so glad that use of the cane has you feeling more secure and that the falling episodes have stopped. Falls can be so dangerous.
Good luck with your exercises and stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back