Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Sudbury
I am 35 yrs old with 3 children, 2 of which are special needs and are in need of constant care. It started with a muscle twitch in my tricep non stop even when sleeping, then I would drop things alot or think I had a hold of them but wouldn't. I just thought I wasn't paying attention or working to quickly. The muscle twitch never stops. No other twitches anywhere else. My arm isn't surely as strong as it use to be and now its difficult to coordinate my thumb on that hand. It took me a couple of frustrating minutes to open a cheese string. This is only in a matter of a couple of weeks. I have seen my doctor and a referal has been made to a neurologist. I am a single parent and their father is incapable of taking care of these children, if this sounds like ALS I need to quickly start a process in having others know how to take care of my children. Any opionins would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

My advice is to not get ahead of yourself. When is your Neurologist appointment? Please allow your Neurologist to figure out what is happening. Twitching can be and is typically benign. It does not sound like you have had any tests done such as MRI's, blood tests etc. It sounds as though you are already under a lot of stress. The last thing you need is more anxiety so take a deep breath and talk with your Neuro.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I'm with Ted on this!

Judy

I agree with not getting ahead of yourself here. It sounds like you are on the path to answers and that is what matters in the long run. To bring yourself a sense of peace, I suggest creating a circle of support to help you with your kids, no matter what. As a single parent, even a mean case of the flu would be cause for someone to give you a hand.

Take a deep breath and focus on the here and now.
Blessings
Meg

ALS is a last diagnosis...not first. Especially because of your stress in raising two special needs children on your own...there is a good chance that anxiety is to blame for your problems. Also, since it is just in your one arm...you might want to look into a possibility of a pinched nerve(possibly from lifting one of your children) or carpal tunnel from again lifiting.

It is important to have a 'safety net' of people to help you out in case something happens...whatever that may be! It could be something as simple as you having the flu and not being able to get up and give the care to your children... so you must get that help now. Friends and hopefully family should be happy to help you out once in a while...being a caregiver is a tough job and you need to get your rest too otherwise you are unable to care for your kids.

Based on the symptoms you gave and described...it does not sound like you have ALS. Look into Benign Fasciulation Syndrome for your constant twitching. Good luck to you.

Thank you all for your replies..my doctor recommended that I adjust my life accordingly to this, he seemed much more worried than I. We are a one day at a time family, with a great support system and new developments have been on a daily basis. I guess I was asking if this in fact is what my doctor suspects, what would I expect short term. The neuro wait is around 3 months, we are from a small community and I cannot leave my children to make a trip to see one sooner. Than you

hbto3k, I'm new here and can't offer much advice about ALS, but I do offer my sympathy for your situation. Not knowing what's going on with your body is frustrating, but worrying about your kids is a dreadful feeling. I hope you can set aside worries of ALS until you can see the neurologist.

in the meantime, I wonder if it would be useful to start thinking about possible backup plans for your children's short and long term care? Not because you may have ALS, but because it's the best thing for them regardless of your situation?. We call these 'Mack truck' plans at work. It may seem silly to invest time and energy on plans that you may never use (after all, how many people really get hit by a mack truck), but you may actually find some satisfaction in taking control of those plans and knowing they're in place. Ensuring some other other people do know show to care for your kids will make a possible future event of an overnight hospital stay for a gallbladder issue or something like that much less stressful. It might even allow you to make an overnight visit for a family wedding or something?

I sympathize with your single parent status and can't imagine how hard it must be to care for those kids alone. Take care!

Well just got back from my 3rd doctor appt. Things are starting to be worrisome for me and not just my doctor. He did a full neurological exam which showed weakness in only the left side..my tricep,bicep, neck and foot. The neurology dept has bumped up my emg from an 8 month wait to 2 weeks. My children have made friends there so they have become very concerned with their mama. The faccilations in the tricep has not changed, still beating away like an old friend saying I'm here! My question is why the left side..my doctor keeps saying lower motor neuron disease but anyone else have other ideas?

With children--everyone should have a plan in place should something happen to them. Godparents, grandparents, something. And it should be in writing.

As for your issues--one sided sounds more like a possible mini-stroke or stroke. Brain MRI should be in the line of tests first. Blood clots aren't just for old people, believe me.

I hope you get answers soon!

I agree with not me and I've had bloodclots since the age of 13 don't panic just get your caregivers in place I have 4 special needs children 3 with neurological disorders and 1 who is legally blind I didn't have my caregivers in place when I was in the hospital for 7 days with a damaged liver due to a severe gall bladder problem you don't want to face that and this doesn't mean we are saying you have 1 thing or another just that you should always be prepared in case of any illness

So they had a cancellation and took me for an emg. All I could get from the tech is that there are faciculations in the tricep what you can see but also in the shoulder and bicep. You can't see them. They also sound rhythumic The muscle was too irrated in the forearm to needle it. He tried but didn't work. Anyone have any ideas!

Try to stay calm. Can your Primary doctor prescribe something that wil help with your nerves? Wait to hear from the Neurologist. It could be many many things. I'll be thinking of you until then. Remember to breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back