Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
louisiana
City
gonzales
Hi i am Veronica this is my frist time speaking out to anyone about myself except to my doctoters and family.But this stared back in Oct,2010 when i felt some discomfort in my buttock while driving than my right leg felt heavy as if i couldnot control it than next couple of days left leg started with a shimmer like feeling wwent to a doctor and she did blood work tested my mobilty all blood work came back fine except for thyroid. so she sent me to thyroid doctor and he he will retest an he did but he said number were a little off an he will test again in 3 months. then she also sent me to neurology at that time i couldnot walk anymore without help that happen less than two weeks were he said i had transverse myelitis i was treated with steroids injection 3 times aday for 5 days i was able to walk a little after the treatment than i went back to see neuro and he said that that was all he can do so about a 4 weeks later my legs begin to to were i couldnot move them agin my buttock has a feeling like there is always persure in rectum always have vaginal discharge so i went to see another neuro and he said he thinks i have pls. he sujected tha if i didnot think he was correct tha he can send me to Huston Tx to get check out there i went an they said i have pls do anyone out there have these same symtoms,heavy legs,buttock feels like you are setting higher than what you are ,knee pain, leg swelling, just stop walking less than 2 weeks after symtoms.

Re: tRYING TO FINE OUT IF I REALLY HAVE PLS

hi veronica,welcome to the forum.
other than the legs feeling heavy you dont seem to have any symptoms of pls.
the main symptoms of pls are balance problems,spasticity/stiffness and eventual muscle weakness.
did the neuro do a clinical exam?
have you had any mri's of the brain and/or spinal cord?
the clinical signs of pls on examination are..............
positive babinski= sign of umn damage.
hyperreflexia=hyperactive reflexes.
clonus= spasticity.
it takes 3-5yrs to follow the progression to diagnose pls
you do seem to have alot of other stuff going on, i really think you should get another opinion and any of the test i mentioned if you have not had them also see a gynocologist as there could be something going on there.

Hi veronica here and yes the frist neuro i saw did and exam ,also had mri of brian and spinal cord and that when he said i had Transversemylites . Second neuro did mri said its a rule out thing so he seem to think pls so than he sent me to Tx.were he did EMG an some other test dont remember name were they stick you with needle here and there,my lege get stiff mostly around knees cant walk at all unless with cruches. do you think a person with pls stops walking in less than two weeks after they start to have symtoms?also i will be ask ing my new neuro about the babinski,umn damage never knew anything of that thanks for your help i feel so welcome.

veronica. I dont know what the doctor is basing his diagnosis on so its hard to answer your question. It seems to have all happened way too fast to be PLS where as Transverse myelitis is fast. The fact that you responded to steroids points away from PLS as well. Transverse Myelitis should have been farely obvious on your scan, so I am very confused. Sounds more like MS than PLS. I would get yet another opinion. As Olly said you cant just give somneone a Diagnosis of PLS until you have waited for the 3 -5 years to see what it evolves into.

Hey thanks for info , i am seeing a new neuro on Thursday i will be posting my out come . my daugther says it sounds like
you guys know more than the neuro i have seen.

Veronica. You should come right out and ask what the basis for the transverse myelitis diagnosis was. Then ask specifically what the basis of the pls diagnosis is. Make them do some work and explain everything carefully to you. I have a patient that had transverse myelitis that 18 mont.hs later got ms. It's important you get a diagnosis if it's not pls as there are disease modifying treatments for some neurological problems. You don't want to be missing out.
If you have pls then make the doctors provevit to you. That's their job.
Best wishes for your appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back