Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
US
State
PA
City
Poconos
Hi everyone.....a lot of us have the walking problem, from walking like the "tin man" to the "looking like we're drunk" walk (and for most, we go through these stages at different times of any day). My question is....does anyone have any experience or idea of the long term affect on our joint's? I ask this because it sure feels like my knee's are losing their "shock absorber" ability and starting to really hurt by the end of the day. Of course the follow-up answer to that would be use a walker more to put more pressure on the upper body and not as much on our legs. I just wondered if anyone ended up having I guess what you call a side effect of acual "joint" problems from the way we were forced to change our walking style (gait).

Because of spasticity in some muscle and weakness of others, it is easy for joints to become mis aliened. This in turn can cause joint damage and other joint mis alienments. The joint can become arthritic . The best treatments are keeping the joints moving with low or no impact exercise or range of motion. And to use braces devices to help support the joint when weight baring activities happen.

My feet are becoming deformed because of spasticity and weakness. This causes pain when I am up on them, plus it is causing my knees to have problems because I no longer can stand correctly on them. My AFOs do not help with the deformties that have already happened. I still do as much as I can while standing, however I am starting to use my power chair more.

Hi AKMOM.....I agree with the mis-alignments and arthritis, and maybe it was just frustration that made me ask. I suppose I was really wondering if anyone had ever pushed it all the way to something like a knee replacement, and thinking about it what would that really solve anyway. It is just disappointing that we not only have to worry about the muscles and what their future is, but now we are doing related damage to other parts of our bodies. I have a scooter I use for shopping and stuff when I go with my wife. But my wife had to open her mouth about my walking going down hill and now the MDA made an appointment for the first week of January at the wheelchair clinic for a fitting. I suppose it's the best thing and will be easier on the body long term.

yes well i was told my ehtire left side had dropped from shoulder down...no wonder sitting. standing walking and even lieing down aint comfy...spasticity is the cause i guess. maybe the increased muscle tension pulls things that way...contractures is the word......me..i walk like a duck......and sway. bashing every one or thing arouhd me...nice when people apologise to me..am very gracious.....bought the wife a new iron for xmas. got it cheap at a sale...shell love it...i think.....johnny pooler..

hi kevin,yes definatly.
i have problems with my hips,get real bad pain sometimes which i put down to the waddling gait.
my left ankle gets painfull due to the weakness in that lower leg.
i suppose they just try to treat these joint problems the same as others,not alot they can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back