Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Colorado Springs
It seems my jaw muscles have weakened to the point where now my mouth opens when sleeping. So of course then my mouth dries out and I wake up frequently. Does anyone have any tricks or tips to keep your mouth closed besides wearing a chin strap?

When searching around, it appears that these chin straps are most associated with CPAP/BiPAP masks... does this mean a typical face mask for those does not help keep your mouth shut?

Thanks for the advice... Brian

I know someone who had used the sleeve from old oversized cotton t-shirt. Cut it out around armhole of shirt, and it stretches enough to make a sling thingy for the chin. One edge is larger around than the other, (shorter edge to front of face) so it cradles the chin, hence holding the lips together too, Could be dorky looking, but then, who cares ? 8)

I think full face masks do allow for mouth open, no strap needed. I use nasal mask, my mouth stays shut though.

Last edited:
I use a full face with my bipap cause I'm a mouth breather. The humidifier on the bipap and an extra humidifier in the room help, but my mouth still dries out anyway.

may i ask why you are against a chin strap? not sure if youre looking them up on medical websites, but the ones that i speak of are home made. use any type of comfortable material and some velcro. does its job.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not opposed to a chin strap... I just wanted to ask about this in case there was a much better idea that people have used. I'm always amazed at the creativity that we all have on the forum.

Brian

As always, a timely discussion. My husband is complaining of waking up with very dry mouth. I think something like this may help. Thanks!

Wife made chin strap from old head gear from Bipap mask. Mouth falls open due to muscle loss. Even with humidifier mouth gets dry. Hose and mask are wet but mouth still dries.

AL.

I have the same problem thank you Al Liz Rose and Tom for your solutions . Thank you for asking Brian. I will definitely try these.

There is also dental lubricant that helps stop your mouth from drying out,.

I bought the mouth wash for dry mouth to see if that might help. Never thought about his mouth possibly being open.

Was just wondering how a sports band would work

These very important to me, thank you

Chin strap and humidifier. No issues with dry mouth, but without a chinstrap terrible issues with snoring and air escaping through mouth. D

I use Biotene toothpaste, mouth wash, and biotene gum.....and a chin strap. But the chin strap cuts into my face a bit so I might try the arm sleve idea. Could any of you suggest a chin strap that doesnt cut into the face? I would like to find one that works for me.

headband under jaw and over top of head? may work...just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back