Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
So, we used to have a food thread, but it is now closed. This is one I want to try:

Candy Cookies

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup butter or margarine, softened

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 large eggs

12 ounces of your favorite candy bar, broken into small pieces. Reese's cups and Whoppers may be chopped into small chunks. M&Ms and similar candies can be used whole.

Methods/steps
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Once mixed, add candy pieces. Place teaspoon-sized drops of dough spaced about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes until the cookies are golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Re: Fave Receipes

Sound yummy!

Sounds good, but I would just eat them all..lol

Lori, they sound so good!

Here is a favorite, but 'healthy' recipe that I've been making for well over 30 years. It is from the original La Leche League cookbook, which was compiled with busy mothers in mind. All of us here on the forum are most assuredly busy, regardless of if we have little ones at home. The great thing about this recipe (other than taste) is that the batter will keep up to six weeks in the refrigerator. I've never actually had batter leftover for that long, but, in theory that's how long it is good for. So, if you have a relative, or neighbor who wants to do something to 'help' give them this recipe, and let them make up the batter. I used to store it in a large covered tupperware bowl, but in recent years found that dividing it into multiple smaller plastic containers works better with not taking up too much room in the fridge. It really is nice to be able to make fresh hot tasty and healthy muffins with only the effort of scooping batter into muffin cups and popping them into the oven.

The recipe calls for bran cereal, but I've also used grapenuts with good success. These muffins don't bake up huge with 'crowns' like the muffins popular in bakeries now, they are more of a cupcake size.

SIX WEEKS MUFFINS makes 6 dozen. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes

6 c bran cereal (all bran 100%)
2 c boiling water
1 c shortening, melted
3 c sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 quart buttermilk (or regular milk soured with vinegar)
5 c flour
5 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt

OPTIONAL—add at time of baking, not in advance
dates
raisins
chopped nuts
chopped apple

Pour the boiling water over 2 cups of bran and let stand while assembling other ingredients. Mix in shortening. Mix in rest of bran with sugar, eggs, and buttermilk. Sift flour with soda and salt. Combine all ingredients and bake as needed. Once the batch is mixed up, all you do is ladle the batter into muffin tins. They're good even with supper, not a sweet breakfast type muffin. They are light and tender. If you have a programmable oven, you can even set it the night before to preheat in the morning and have fresh hot muffins ready in 20 minutes :)

That all sounds so good. Thought I would add my favorite. My MIL makes this every Christmas. My favorite. I can eat a whole pie all by my lonesome

Buttermilk Pie
Preheat oven to 350'
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 Table spoons plain flour
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1teaspoon vanilla flavor
Dash cinnamon
1 unbacked 9 in pie shell

Soften butter with mixer Add sugar and eggs. Beat well
Slowly stir in buttermilk , vanilla and cinnamon
Pour in pie shell.
Bake at 350' for 40 - 45 minutes
Cool completely. Before serving Lol yea right I can never wait for a piece. And end up making a mess but oh so good

Felica. Tip. I precook my pie shell for about 10 minutes Make it cruncher in the end. I don't like soggy crust
Enjoy
Felica

(now I want buttermilk pie :) )

As a follow up to the bran muffin recipe, here are a few tips that will make it easier:

1) The recipe calls for melted shortening, and oil cannot be used to substitute. You might be able to get away with melted butter, but I think it would affect the flavor and maybe the texture too. However, you can substitute sour milk for buttermilk. (1Tablespoon vinegar for every cup of milk)

2) I start out using a stand mixer its so much easier. I have a Kitchen aid, but I think the bowl size is pretty standard on most brands (?) It is not large enough to accommodate the entire amount though. All but the remaining 4 cups of bran will fit. So, I dump it all into a larger pot we use for cooking pasta, and stir in the remaining 4 cups of bran with a big spoon.

3) Back in the day, I would mix directly into a huge tupperware bowl, but it not only takes up a lot of storage space in the fridge, but, also, as the batter level goes down in the bowl, there's so much air inside, that the top layer of batter gets kind of scummy after a while. Ever since the advent of disposable plastic containers at the grocery store, I've been storing the batter in those. The full size recipe will fit into two 64oz storage containers, with enough left over for a dozen muffins.

4) The recipe is easily halved, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having it on hand to bake for several weeks, if you know what I mean.

When you want to eat healthy:
1 piece salmon filet
soak in microwave bowl with virgin olive oil and season with pepper, rosemary and basil
cover the bowl with a plate and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
Let stand for 1 minute.
Serve with fresh fruit.
So fast and healthy!

Sounds yummy, i will gonna try this by the end of this week. Thanks for shairng your recipe. I will post my own recipe soon.. :)

This is for the sweet tooth

Oreo Balls
1 Package of crushed (real good) Oreos
1 Package soften cream cheese
1 Almond bark

Combine cream cheese and oreos form into small balls set in refrigerator for an hour
Melt almond bark and dip the balls put on wax papers

Mine is the following:

Pancakes with blueberries

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons white sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 cup frozen blueberries, thawed

Directions

In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. In a small bowl, beat together egg and milk. Stir milk and egg into flour mixture. Mix in the butter and fold in the blueberries. Set aside for 1 hour.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

I love this one. It is so quick and yummy.

Easy Cheesecake (made in a silver bullet/vitamix or small blender)

1 block of cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla

Blend cheese, eggs, sugar, vanilla until smooth.

Pour in a graham cracker crust.

Bake @ 350 for 20-25 minutes to set.

My family likes this

Banana Split Pie

1 Box No Bake Cheesecake
2 Bananas cut into small pieces
1 can of pineapple tibits
1 tub of Cool Whip
Nuts if desired

Before starting to mix I cut two places on top of can of pineapple across from one another and turn can upside down over a glass in order to drain all liquid off of pineapple.
Mix Cheesecake as directed on box mix pineapple and bananas into cheesecake and pour into crust and top with cool whip add nuts to top we like black walnuts.

A quick easy good for you dish. One Tilipia filet, toss in some teriyake sauce, any kind of mixed vegies and some sliced cabbage. Put in a baking dish, and cook for about 20 or 30 minutes. I get the fish pretty cheap at Wal Mart, and it comes in individually wrapped portions! This is for us CALS who need to stay healthy. Also another good buy at WM is there Maple Groves brand salad dressing, sugar free fat free raspberry vinnagrette. Only 5 calories per 2 TBSPS!

My Favorite recipe is:

Ingredients
1 2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) Dark Chocolate Morsels, Set aside 1/3 cup morsels
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons water
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 *bleep*
Directions
PREHEAT oven to 325º F. Grease 8-inch-square baking pan. .
HEAT 1 1/3 cups morsels, sugar, butter and water in small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate and butter are melted. Pour into medium bowl. Stir in eggs, one at a time, with wire whisk until blended. Stir in vanilla extract. Add flour and salt; stir well. Stir in remaining 1/3 cup morsels and bleep. Pour into prepared baking pan.
BAKE for 38 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

Di, that sounds yummy, but what is that last ingredient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back