I want to keep my fingers straight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are pictures of braces made for keeping fingers straight worn at night.

AL.

Attachments

• HandAtrophy_0243.JPG
    HandAtrophy_0243.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 3,589
  • HandAtrophy_0246.JPG
    HandAtrophy_0246.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,506
Thanks Al, I think I'd add some lace or bedazzle them to make them a little more feminine. ;) They do look like they'd work well. Like they were made by someone that cares.

The OT at Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga Ontario made them. I suggested the red loops to help me get them off and on myself. They had never done them before so she called them the Pettit loop.

AL.

plastic pipe cut down the middle then taped on works and costs nothing

Ms Sweetiepie

In the meantime, some folded washclothes at night will help to keep your fingers in a 'natural' position. I would imagine something specially made could take a while.

And be sure to do the range of motion exercises to keep your joints working properly--easiest way is to make a fist, being sure to bend all the joints--including the thumb--in the fist (it's what I teach students--that a state nurse showed me--because it was easier for the patient)

Lotsa hugs to you, love

I got compression gloves with open fingers from my oc that straighten my fingers into a natural curve and are really comfortable. Just a little tricky to get on. She also gave me a brace to wear on my right hand at night. My ALS clinic is wonderful and the staff are becoming friends.

My OT got a me a brace for night, which after a week is starting to straighten out t he hand. My index finger is the worst, and I bought a baseball splint at the drugstore and wear that when I can.

both help

Does the brace have all them velcro straps with the thumb place? Bruce got one from his Ot today, I told him he looked like a boxer. I hope he don't knock me out tonight..lol Seriously I hope he can sleep in it, and it helps with his fingers.

Do the three directions stretches while breathing to send your ki to your hands.....put your thumb on top of and just below your pinkie on the hand you are stretching...rotate and push (1). Grab your hand palm to back of hand and rotate in the direction of the thumb on the hand being stretched (2). And; simply grab all your fingers with the opposite hand and push them back while rotating your entire hand out and down (3).

These are all joint lock stretches, but they do help....do them several times a day. Breath and don't be afraid to push them a bit. They may be a bit painful at first.

- Jerry

My left hand is contracted and when I asked the clinic about a brace to straighten it, I was told that if I did it would be flaccid and that at least while it's contracted, I can somewhat use it, which is true. I can place things in my left hand such as my make-up foundation and turn the lid if it's loose to begin with. Several times a day though, I straighten my fingers by placing them on my thigh. They don't hurt but from what y'all are saying, they probably will at some time in the future if I don't do something.

Hi Marta! Sorry you are facing this problem. For a while, I was using the oddest things to help with her hands. May sound weird, but I had two ping pong paddles and I put synthetic sheepskin on them. I placed these with the paddle board under her hand and used an Ace bandage to keep them on. We only used them during the day when she was resting. When she woke up, I removed this and worked her fingers back and forth. Three times a day, every day, worked her fingers back and forth (as well as her arms and legs), especially in the morning after she rested all night. I worked them every time she woke up. She never had issues with her hands and they stayed pretty limber, despite her only being able to move her fingers a little before she passed. I don't know if this will help you, but just how we dealt with the issue kind of thing. I hope you can find something that works for you.

Thanks Mysticunicorn! When the time comes for me my husband can help me. :)

Jerry, I do some exercises similar to what you're talking about. Thanks! :D

What a great idea! Thanks!

I am sorry I didn't explain the fist she makes 4 or 5 times with my hands not hers you are suppose to rub your fingers starting from tips down my caregiver I am so blessed to have her she never gets mad or if she does she never lets like it she is 32 years old and so good. I only have her 3 hours a day have to save money in case I need her more later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back