Not open for further replies.

stacey.laslea

Country
US
State
MT
City
sunburst
I first opened a forum account about a year ago. My reason to join was because my papa (like a dad to me) was diagnosed with ALS. Long story short I forgot my password and when I tried to log in 2 months ago I was unable to and even with trying to open a new account and retrieve my password I still didn't get anything. Finally today I received my password recovery information and also 4 other account activations (from my previous attempts at trying to open a new account).

So what I was/am trying to do is get some opinions/thoughts on fundraising. I currently have a very simple online gift store. My intentions are to find a few causes close to my heart and support them. I wanted to do some fundraising efforts that involved having a percentage of sales go towards a good cause (pertaining to ALS). I wanted help finding where it was really needed and what organization would benefit best (in your guys's opinion). After trying for nearly 4 weeks to get access to the forum and after emailing back and forth with a few different organization I decided to choose one on my own. So I chose ALS Therapy Alliance. They have my site listed on their website...
ALS Organization | ALS Support Group | Support Groups For ALS
I don't know how well it will do. But it means a lot to me just to try and help. Hopefully it goes well and I can be a successful contributor.

You all are an inspiration to me. Everyone that has been diagnosed, the caregivers, and all the friends and family that are involved. I've seen what this does to the families and how hard it is on the caregivers. My papa was diagnoses a year ago this month. It moved very very fast. Last December him and my grandma drove 2 days to spend Christmas with me and my family. And right now he is nearly bed ridden and can't do anything for himself. I got to talk to him on the phone for the last time, last week. It's now too hard for him to talk and he's having breathing and eating difficulties too.

The inspiration and strength I see in people on this forum amazes me everyday. And shows me we're not alone.

Anyhow, any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time. Warm wishes to you and all you love.
Stacey
Gift Shop Bliss - Your #1 Source

If you decide to add another foundation, add ALS Guardian Angels. Stu is a real life Angel, he helps anyone who needs help, and 100% of the money donated goes straight to PALS and CALS. It is funded with mostly his money. HUGS Lori

http://alsguardianangels.com/

Stu has a new video tribute on his site. Watch it!

Last edited:
Every penny towards research adds up and can really make a difference. Thank you. I wish someone could come up with an acct to help the victims of ALS also. They charge tooo much to rent equipment(That has been paid for sooo many times already) , lifts, chairs,ramps. There are alot of people who don't have VA beneifts to help, even if they do there are so many things they need that the VA don't cover.THERE SHOULD BE NO RED TAPE FOR ALS.... I think when someone has ALS everything should be covered a !00%. Instead it put's them and their family in a $$$ bind. When a person with ALS cannot work anymore, their spouses and family usually have to stop working also to help them. Thank God for the ALS Pantry's this really helps. I wish they could just deliver a u-haul of free stuff of things they know they would need. People like you DO make a difference and set a great example to others. Good luck!

If you decide to add another foundation, add ALS Guardian Angels. Stu is a real life Angel, he helps anyone who needs help, and 100% of the money donated goes straight to PALS and CALS. It is funded with mostly his money. HUGS Lori

Stu has a new video tribute on his site. Watch it!

WOW, STU ROCKS. He seen the vision and followed through. :p

Thank you both so much for the comments/input. I wish I could have gotten this information sooner. Not that it will stop me :) I plan on contacting Stu to see if he would be interested. This truly is an amazing thing he's doing. I have bigger plans for this if it works out how I would like it to.

In my opinion I've grown tired of corporate America getting richer and contributing to good causes in a very small way/amount... if at all. I know every bit counts but I still think it should be more. I think they get too much glory for the little fundraisers they do. Don't get me wrong I am grateful but why when restaurants say "we will donate 10% of sales from "such and such date, at such and such time". Why not all day... or the first Friday of every month... regardless of if someone brings a flier. I bet when things like this are sponsored that atleast 50% of the people eating at the restaurant are there to eat and know nothing of the event.... come on it's 10%. And not to mention the organization that wants the event are the ones doing all the work/advertising... this is a free 90% that is being brought in for the restaurant. So who really wins?!?
I give CVS credit because they have done good things with raising funds. But otherwise I'm not too impressed with many other businesses. The world is too greedy. So my thought is... everyone buys gifts... no matter how bad the economy is. Holidays, graduations, wedding, baby showers, anniversaries, and birthdays still happen. Why not supply that market with gifts... that intern can help a good cause. Hence "GiftShopBliss... where one gift becomes two". I know that there is another site that does the same thing. But it's for a very small 10% and it lists every organization under the sun. I don't want to do everything. I only want to focus towards a select few organizations. People can request and suggest others and I will take it into consideration. But as of right now this is my focus.

So again thank you for the input. I'll be emailing him though his site. If he has an account on here let me know and I'll message him that way also. Now I'm off to make phone calls to find a way to get my papa to church one last time. Wish me luck because I have no idea what I'm doing. My grandparents were very active in going to church and the kids there beyond adore him. They quit going about 2 months ago because it was just too hard to get him in and out of the vehicle... too much on him. And he just hasn't left since. He was one of the most active people I've ever known. You know the type... even after they retire they never actually do. So my last gift to him... I want to find a special needs type van that will lift his wheel chair (so that way they don't have to lift him in or out) so he can go to church one last time. The Thanksgiving service... I won't be able to be there seeing I'm in MT and they are in TN. But this is the last thing I can do for him and my family and I have a lot to be thankful for this year... or un-thankful for... depending on how you look at it... but personally I'm trying to be positive.

Stacey

And thank you for your kind words. I don't know how much of a difference I'm making or how much I'm actually helping but I'm sure trying and giving it my all.

And thank you for your kind words. I don't know how much of a difference I'm making or how much I'm actually helping but I'm sure trying and giving it my all.

I had a really long message/reply prior to this one... I hope I entered it right. If not oh well I'll rewrite it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back