Startled easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this problem as well....dryer buzzer going off, telephone ringing, etc.

I have the same thing. While driving if a car honks or a train goes by really loudly, I jump a foot. The worst part is how hard my heart beats after I am scared. If my husband coughs or snores while I'm falling asleep, it scares me and takes awhile for me to calm down. I've worked it out at work, one employee coughs before he walks up behind me and my boss taps his feet behind me so I know he's coming in. I am determined to work as long as I possibly can. I am slowly letting my employees know what is going on with me so that nobody is coming to their own conclusion.

I startle easily but last night the strangest thing happened. I always go to bed early (as I'm always shattered) and my husband came to bed an hour or two after me. Just as he was getting into bed he touched my leg and I sat bolt upright in bed, arms flailing, heart pounding. The shock was intense and really quite scary. I rolled over and my husband then brushed against my hand. Despite the fact I was awake (or half awake) the same thing happened again! I finally rolled over and mumbled something about having sensitive reflexes - meanwhile he couldn't stop laughing!

I was a person who was hard to startle. Since ALS came on I startle very easily.

Hi, Loulou:
I found your missive interesting in that I've experienced the same problem. I can't say that it is a serious thing, but I do tend to jump when caught by surprise or at a loud or sudden sound. I can't remember being so sensitive before PLS. Funny things happen, though... My wife came up behind me undetected and started to say something. I ended up wearing the mug of tepid coffee I was sipping.
Best of luck to you.
Vance

It is a unihibited reflex(another word's it is pathological, the reflexes are brisk to an extent that they are primitive (think of a newborn baby).. That is why you feel the startle reflex, it is a Upper Motor Neuron symptom.

It will even cause cross-detection of the other reflexes.. so that a bunch of the body parts will all react..

I do this too. It has gotten so bad that sometimes I fall .. straight backwards and hit my head. Spilling is the least of my worroes. Any unexpected noise, sight or bumping into something causes the reflex.

Doc says it is UMN symptom.

My husband whistles as he walks..really helps me. Otherwise I jump! Always been a jumper but worse now....fun,fun!

Great idea about the mirrors. I too have sent tea & sodas flying when people surprised me... they did learn to approach me with a little warning & I also would only pick up the can or mug when I faced the door... but loud noises & other things still cause me to jump.

I can Relate to what Brian said. I too have stopped driving. For that same reason I jumped while driving and skirted a mailbox taking my passenger side mirror completely off. My MIL was in the car thank heavens. Turned the wheel over to her. I stay jumpy all the time now. Have to stop and just catch my breath every so often ..
Praying for all of my ALS family
Felica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back