Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
CA
City
Roseville
So, my hubby's left foot is completely paralyzed. He has always worn tennis shoes and doesn't feel comfortable bare foot or with just socks on. When we put his shoes on, his toes inevitably curl up underneath his foot. This is obviously uncomfortable, even though he isn't walking.

Do any of you have suggestions for shoes? With winter and colder days approaching, we need to do something so he is comfortable.

Thanks in advance!
Love and light
Meg

hi meg.
i was thinking maybe slippers but the kind that look a bit more like a shoe (slip on mochasan or loafer) than slipper.
a slipper would have a soft sole so when his toes curl up there will be some give and they wont be so crunched up.
or as winter is coming you can get the boot type ones like uggi's.
i wear slipper socks most of the time and find them really comfortable.

Maybe unlace the shoes more to make sure toes go in flat and don't get folded under as they slide in! I still wear a brace on both feet but I could see wear with no control over the toes they could get in trouble fast. Good luck!

I was going to suggest braces that you can wear with your shoes Meg.

I wear a pair of Foam Treads from Buck and Buck that open wide at the top and fasten with Velcro. Very easy to put on and the caregiver can straighten curled toes easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you put it in Barry I'll approve it.

AL.

I would suggest a harder soled slipper. You dont want to leave his toes curled under, as it is painful and will eventually contract this way and then will be permanately curled under. My pals wears his braces just at night. during the day he wears slippers. We just slip em on and press down on his toes to make sure they arent curled. then his feet are on a flat surface to help keep them from curling under.

Bucks has special shoes for the ladies too.

My husband wore crocs from the minute he was diagnosed. There were great when he could walk, and worked when he couldn't. Easy on, easy off and comfortable. They come fur lined for winter, and vented for summer.

Yup--crocs are great--but one caution in a PAL that is walking--they are more comfortable 'worn in' as they conform to the wearers feet--but be sure to replace them if they get worn as they are like ICE WALKING on water if they are too worn

I've had to convert to nursing type croc style shoes--as they are definitely non-skid--and I'm a fall waiting to happen these days

my husband goes barefoot in the house (of course we live in FL) but I bought some in expensive moccasin style slippers at Walmart for about $11 for when we go out. I got them bigger then his size so they slip on easilyand are comfortable for him. they look pretty good!

I think I am going to stop by the dance wear store in town and buy some extra large leg warmers for him --he wears boxers all day and no socks since he uses his toes to run his computer mouse. we keep a space heater near him too in the winter. Shoes, like pants are just not practical on a daily basis!

Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I am off to shop! Well, as soon as I get off of work!
Love and light
Meg

Uggs! My favorite and what I wear almost constantly now. Keeps my feet warm and doesn't bug my paralyzed left foot either ;) Good Luck!

I don't have any suggestions but this reminds me of when I was younger and would get my brother dressed (he has cerebral palsy). His toes would curl and I was convinced that he was doing it on purpose, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back