Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
OS
State
Darkside of Moon
City
country
I went for my powerchair assessment/ measurements today. They had one for me to try, a Invacsre T D X- SP with foam and gel top seat, sling back. They noticed I had trouble seating up for long, I told them that it was rather difficult. They said they thought I needed to have the tilt option and countoured back with sides but PT did not include that on his recommandation and that I should see him or call and tell him that my muscles have weakened in the month since I saw him and now needed more help in that area. The PT did recommend leg rest to be raised to keep feet from swelling. Ok.

They deal with Invacare and Pride. So my questions to all of you powerchair savey people is, which do any of you think is better the Invacare T D X or Pride Quantum? And which models are best for a PALS? Or any models from these two dealers chairs.

He seemed to recommend the Invacare T D X- SP with rehab seat, said it was rugged. And he could work on them more easily. But I could have a Pride Quantum if I wanted. He can also work on them. (That is good news)

What type of seat cushion is best ?

Which is better,.... footrests, or center footplate?

Seat back?...Headrest?

I do know I would like the center wheel drive.
I have looked on the web at the Pride Quantum Q600 as I have heard people speak of this one.

I am so confused as to which one to choose, and have no help here other than the tech I saw today. This choice is also influenced by the fact I will be using medicare only. So question of whether I can even afford one even at the 20% co-pay.

I have searched the posts but have not found one on choosing the best make or model. If anyone can point me in the right direction, give me their thoughts or ideas I would be so grateful. Thank you

Last edited:
I'll be doing this tomorrow

Hi Di,
Bob used the Invacare TDX-SP and it worked really well for him. It did have tilt and that's a must for ALS patients. I can't remember what type of cushion he used but he was never uncomfortable with the one he used. I know it wasn't a gel top one though. The chair gave Bob such a sense of independence and it will do that for you too. Good luck! Take care. Yasmin

Hi Di, Sis used Invacare TDX with tilt back and adjustable leg rests. She had a Roho seat cushion, which was super comfy for her. The centre wheels allowed turning even in a small hallway and into her room.
Hope this helps and you get something really comfy for yourself.

Hi Di,
Get a roho cushion right away, don't wait.
I have the quantum 600, which has been great, but I didn't look at any others.
I think they can all be modified as your needs change - I'll be changing out the arm rests, and we are talking about head controls for when my arms won't work.
But, you're right, the costs are obscene- 20+K

I have the Quantum 26 with all the bells and whistles. ($25,000) I call it my "Bentley". Everything tilts and adjusts from sitting erect to lying flat and anything in-between.

It has the Roho gel cushion which is very comfortable. It has given me a lot of freedom but I have dinged up every doorway in the house. Have not run it in the mud like the"Bugger" though.

Most PALS in the OC have the Permobil C300 but I've heard good things about the Quantum. Have no data on the Invacare.

Tilt and power leg rests are a must for ALS. So is recline. Also, I have the elevator feature which helps for standing when you get to that point where it's difficult to stand from a lowered seat.

You will eventually need a ROHO cushion so you may as well start there. I didn't follow my own advice. One downside of the ROHO (I think) is it's not as slick, which makes transfers more difficult on your own.

Good luck! It's important to get this right. You can change out the cushion but I don't think you can add power features later.
-Tom

Thanks so much for your comments everybody

I don't know what happened to my post. For some reason it posted twice and TDX- SP turned to ALS diagnosis? Hmmmm...

cervus.....I noticed if you put T D X without separating them it does that..dont know why

I have the Invacare T D X- SP. It's okay. I've had a number of mechanical problems with it. The worst was when we were going out to dinner and it died in the parking lot. The chair weighs close to 400 pounds. Try moving it with me in it, back in the van, back in the house and then around the house for several days before they could get out to fix it. It wasn't a pretty sight.

I can't tell you the name on cushion as I'm sitting on it, but it has some combination of air and gel. The air is adjustable. It's okay, but I do get a sore butt from time to time.

As for as foot question, I have a foot plate. I feel it allows more freedom for foot placement than the individual foot rests would. But it keeps coming loose and the chair techs have to tighten it every time I go to clinic.

I can't imagine having a contoured back. I don't know how well it would provide back support. Your PT is your best source for advice on that.

I test drove 4 different chairs. I chose the Invacare T D X- SP because I felt I could control it better.

Hope this helps.

cervus.....I noticed if you put T D X without separating them it does that..dont know why

notgivnup is correct. It's a text expansion macro that the administrator of the board (not Al or Richard) installed and can't figure out how to fix. It definitely has screwed up the ability to search out information on that particular model of wheelchair, and creates all manner of havoc in the "Do I Have ALS?" forum when folks start slinging medical abbreviations around. Many complaints over several months -- no fix completed or contemplated for the future. Draw your own conclusions.

Every time I see this problem pop up, it puts me in mind of the scene in the movie Young Frankenstein where Marty Feldman is searching through the jars of brains and says "I wonder who AB Normal was".

i went with the Quantum Q6 Edge, full tilt and recline, goal post type control as the joystick proved tiring

Di, I have the same Invacare mentioned, and cannot say how important it will be to start out with a ROHO seat. I very much like the center footplate. Whichever brand you choose, make sure you can get a deep tilt, a reclining back, elevating legs and elevating seat.

Thank you again guys you are helping me choose, as tech kept giving his suggestion but has never had to use one, I think those who do use them have a much better idea of what I need.

Mid Wheel
roho cushion
Elevating seat
Tilt/deep or full
recline
elevating seat
contoured back- to help side to side falling over
headrest

Any suggestions about joy stick?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.