Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a question about spelling words, I am helping my grandaughter who is 3rd grade learn her spelling words. Thought it would a breeze. Then these words came up I have never heard of, had to look them up, think they made up new words since I was in school, or I am dumb.
Have any of you heard these 3rd grade words...addend....subtrahend....minuend? (hoping i am not a dunce...:))

Never heard of them! Must be American lingo. We have Huhu grubs, paua, Whanau, tangata Whenua, Kai

Huhu grubs .......yuck
Paua........black abalone
Whanau.......family
Tangata Whenua.............extended family/ ancestors
Kai.......FOOD!

Aly, those words look alot like our Hawaiian words. Paua Shell jewlery I use to sell, so pretty.
The words I spelled are used in math, or so it says, I never used them, then again it was my worst subject.

Keiki=children, Tutu=grandmother, kapuna kane=grandfather, maka maka=friend
Pau Hana= TGIF (thank God it's friday)
O'hana=family
Ahi=tuna, Wahoo=some kind of fish
Pupu's= light snacks
Pau=finished/all done

Di, I vaguely remember some of the words in Algebra, but my kids definitely use them in Math... I have to keep getting the older son to help the younger son with his math, I don't remember anything important!

Gotta go check on the food, we're having boneless chicken breast, oven-roasted potatoes, and a nice salad, along with extra veggies cut up on the side to dip into hummus... I think there's enough for everyone to eat something they like!

Helen

Di, teacher to the rescue! It sounds like your granddaughter is in everyday math - a common math program that was developed at the University of Chicago. The program is ridiculous about making the kids learn "proper" math lang.

Here we go:
addend - the # you add to another #
subtrahand - the number you subtract from
minuend - the subtracted number

For what it's worth I agree with you - crazy math words for spelling? Yuck

Last edited:
Third grade spelling words? Wow has school ever changed. Di, I wouldn't have known what those words meant either. Very interesting to learn the new words and their meanings from Aly and Di. Helen, dinner sounds scrumptious. I'll be right over.

Hi all! Back out of teacher mode! I would have been in earlier but I decided to make bread and rolls today. Then I started reading today's posts and I thought...wow we're all channeling food today.

Helen, dinner sounds delicious!

BeHappy thanks, not being able to tell 3rd grader the answer made her laugh so hard at me, and me feel really stupid. Think I will skip helping with her math...lol

Helen, better set the table for say about say.... 20!..We will all be joining you for dinner..:)

sorry folks, all gone! Next time I'll be sure to make more than 4 lbs. of potatoes, and 3 chicken breast (halves really).... it was yummy, especially I didn't have a clue of what to make when I went into the kitchen at 5:30 pm. We ate late, but worth it! You'd think my kids were part Irish, we LOVE potatoes! They put italian dressing on their mashed potatoes, not me, only butter, and sometimes gravy.

Awwww, Helen late again...dang :-(

Bhappy, back in the "ol" days, those were called,........ top number.....middle munber.....answer.....
When the heck did it change, maybe later "60's when everything changed...I think..... trying to remember, a bit hazy those days..lol

Di, I'll save some dessert for you! It's virtual brownies, with chocolate chips, (nuts if you like them) and french vanilla ice cream and hershey's syrup on top.

Aly, one phrase you HAVE to learn to get around in Massachusetts (no, not the Italian salute!) is "Wicked" as in "that's wicked hot".... "it was wicked cold outside...." "it's wicked good", and so on. Even Dunkin Donuts has an ad on tv that sees if you're a true native, and the favorite play... "Wicked!"

Helen, wished they had an "Extremely Like" button, i would have used that one..:)...yummmmmy, Thanks!

Is that term "wicked" used because it is from the old days of burning wicked witches there?

Helen,
Now you've done it! Mentioned DDs and a play! I don't eat the donuts, but I love the coffee. To me Boston is DD heaven (sometimes 2 DDs within a mile)! Also, "Wicked" one of my fav plays. To be fair, I loved the play "Rent" just as much.

Nothing like good coffee to finish a fantastic meal like yours!

Thanks, don't know if the actual meal was as good as all that, but the virtual dessert was wicked awesome! :)

Do they have DD where you live? There's over 50 in Boston alone! I don't even drink the coffee, but do like the donuts... you can buy the coffee by the pound if you like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back