Thread: Leg Problems
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 11:53 AM #6 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Southborough
State: MA
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
HelenL is on a distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: Southborough
State: MA
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
HelenL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Leg Problems

You could probably just call your gp or neuro's office and get a referral for the orthotic, but that still will take a while for the approvals and then the custom brace to be made. Mine goes up behind my knee to help support my whole leg, as my knees are weak as well. In the meantime, I found a product online that I bought even before I got my orthotic that I still use for my drop foot around the house when I have shoes on. It cost about $40, and well worth it, but basically it's a couple of shoelaces attached to velcro, and a soft wrap around your ankle. You run the shoelace through the front of your sneaker (nearest the toe area), tie them together, crisscross them and wrap the velcro end around the ankle. I really helps to keep your foot from dropping, and stabilizes it a little bit.

I'll see if I can find the paperwork I had on it... and I did! It's in my email... It's called X-Strap Systems, Dorsi-Strap for Foot Drop. Check out their website and see if you think it will help, I did use it all the time until I got the orthotic made, now I only use it occasionally.

Personally, I think I need to invest in a good pair of kneepads, mine look like they did when I was a tomboy, always scraped up looking!