Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
Here's an open thread to air your views about this year's MDA Labor Day Telethon (without Jerry Lewis), that just ended here in the Eastern time zone of North America.

I didn't watch it. Is there a link? I'm pretty sure is was a real "gas."

I watched about 45 minutes of it. Found it rather boring and the production values seemed kind of cheesy. While it's probably time for Jerry Lewis to step down, I'm sure the MDA could have 'retired' him with a little more class. I'm afraid there are folks out there that will withhold contributions due to the way this was handled. It's unfortunate because they don't realize they're only hurting the people who depend on MDA not the nabobs who created this situation.

It does not seem like people withheld contributions, more money raised this year than last year. Wasn't that always Jerry's goal? His influence was there even if he wasn't. I helped out at the telethon in Tulsa and they raised $748,000. The firefighters in America raised $27 million, not to shabby. I am curious why he did not make an appearance and why there was no telethon on Labor Day, just Sunday night?

I have a naive question, they have raised millions since I was a kid year after year after year and still no cure. ? If ALS is similar to Md, it's not too promising is it? Sorry for the downer thought. I wonder how much goes to research and how much goes to equipment ect. And how much is administrative costs.

Okie2,

The decision to shorten the telethon to the format used last night was made just a couple of months after the 2010 telethon. Jerry Lewis announced in May that this was going to be his last telethon, but something happened about a month ago that led to his "retirement" from both the telethon and his post as MDA National Chairman.

And, for those of you that kept up with the Walton and Johnson brouhaha back in May and June, did you notice the prominence given on the telethon to IHeartRadio, which is a subsidiary of Clear Channel Communications, the owner of the flagship station for the Radio Clawds? Three musical acts -- "undiscovered" artists selected from nominees gathered from Clear Channel stations all over the US -- for the telethon, with the accompanying backslapping for Clear Channel's efforts in support of MDA. It's fair to say that CCC got more airtime last night on the telethon last night than Augie Nieto did

Where was MDA during the Walton and Johnson business? Protecting their "valued partner" -- CCC -- from the outrage in the ALS community.

Yeah, I noticed all the IheartRadio crap, and though some of the performers mentioned Jerry Lewis, I think the whole production was very lame. Microphones not working, awkward moments, etc. Reminded me of watching a high school production on the local cable network. It seemed it was like, let's exclaim over the check, grab it from the donor, and push them off the stage to go to someone singing that I've never heard of before. Except for Jon Bon Jovi of course (at least I think it was him, having a senior moment here!)

Thank goodness for the major donors that still contributed, and all those lovely firefighters who do this every year!

I used to volunteer each year--either on the phones--or on the corners with the boots when i was on the fire dept.

Now--when I see how many PALS aren't being helped that should be--I'm feeling much less generous.

Not enough help is getting where it needs to get--to the PALS and to those with the diseases.

Don't even get me start3e don Jerry Lewis. I watched 20 mins and turned it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back