The Veteran C & P Evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will correct my statement from the tingling to twitching, I asked my husband what exactly it was. This is something that has started in the last week besides the normal spasms that he gets in his legs and arms. His index finger has been vibrating back and forth and his arms and legs vibrate at different times. They told us that little changes will start happening, just curious to see if anyone else experienced them.

Good Morning everyone, here is the latest scoop. My husband's C & P Eval has been moved up to this Monday. For those of you who have been through this before, is there anything I need to know, bring or have knowledge of for Ed? Our appt is at 1PM with a Dr. Jones at the Orlando, FL VA.

I am praying that everything goes well, because I need help.

Just remember, the goal is to show how much he cannot do. It is not a time to show off what he can do!

They will ask about how finances are handled. Make sure your husband knows how much his bills are, and even if you pay the bills, say that he pays them, or they may declare him incompetent.

Lori is right! We know that from experience. If it does happen, it is a quick fix. Just have your primary sign a letter of competency. That will clear it up immediately.

Ed went for his C & P exam with Dr Jones not Dr. Duggal. His appt was moved up to 8/22. Dr. Jones was very nice and knew some aout ALS. He asked us a few questions, typed into the computer as he was facing us. I could not even do that. He deemed my husband 100& Permanent and totally disabled. He was so concerned about his swallowing and choking that he stated that we should not even have been requested to come to the exam. He should have been 100% right from the get go. There was few more things that he told me, as the spouse that I should look into doing, like selling the house and moving into an apartment, less expenses, and doing everything I can for my future. Really nice guy.

Now it is time to push for the decision and time.

Glad to hear you had a good experience with Orlando's C&P office. We found excellent people in the ALS and Home Based Primary Care teams. HOWEVER, comma, conversely, PT was unable to react quickly enough. Everything we got from them went unused because they were so slow to measure, order, and deliver. We live just a couple blocks away from Orlando VAMC.

So we went to Tampa for our ALS team, instead. Tampa's SCI "gym" are experts, because they have so much daily experience with Spinal Cord patients.

Well what do you know. Small world. We are based out of Tampa also, but we did this from the beginning. Orlando was a little P O'd because we started there. Ed spend the first check up in Tampa in July for 7 days and they examined as much as they could and we were just there again 8/24-26th to finish up. We will be going back in October for O/P clinic and eye exam. Dr. Schwartz and Dr. Merritt are the experts in ALS. Dr. Schwartz told me that he wants me home with my husband. I cannot do that until we receive the letter from the VA stating 100%. I felt that they were much better equipped to handle ALS patients. I also found out that the Orlando VA has to send ALS patients to Tampa for medical treatment.

Last edited:
Well the good news is Ed's file is with the rating officer at the VA and we should have heard today. But I am sure because it is Friday there were other things going on. I was told Monday we will have our answer. I sent out an email to friends and family to please say a special prayer that it will be Monday. Ed has not been feeling well and I am praying I will have some time with him before this ugly disease takes completely over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back