VOTE! Help name the finches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gus, Pie, Atticus, Buck, and Clint. Where do these finches originate, Diane? They're so unlike the ones in the wild here--which I do like a lot--but these are spectacular.

YES YES YES (oops, sorry that's from Singing in the Rain) but I loved Monty Python, it used to be on Wed nites on our PBS station. Every Thursday morning before school it was the topic of conversation. I bought the full series about a year ago, and have watched some of it, but need to stop working long enough to have a Monty Python night to watch the rest!

Do you like Monty Python as well? If so, what's your top 3 favorite sketches?

See, this is where I envisioned this thread going - i.e. tangents, as this forum does so well 8)

I'm answering questions, keeping with the flow...

Lady Gouldian finches are native to northern Australia, and are considered to be endangered in the wild, but there are lots and lots and lots of them kept by aviculturists. They are notoriously terrible parents in captivity, but, the one clutch of babies Edgar and Chloe had could not have had better parenting. And, considering that the mama bird Chloe was an amputee, that's saying something. Birds have a lot more work cut out for them in the parenting department than mammals do. Edgar did the vast majority of the feeding, but Chloe was devoted as well.

One of the coolest things about having the babies, was listening to the boys learn to sing. They learn by practicing and start out very harsh sounding.

The color combinations found in the wild are the red or black head, purple breast, yellow belly and green back. The finches I have that are pastel shades are mutations (rather than hybrid). The distinction between mutation and hybrid is important as far as possible impact on the future of the species in the wild goes.

Personality wise, they are pretty laid back for finches, not aggressive toward other birds either. Unless they are hand raised from a very early age they do not tame. That is not to say they're not tamer than the birds in the wild, but, I would be more successful in coaxing a grown chickadee that comes to the feeders, to come eat out of my hand than I would an adult gouldian finch that has lived in my house since birth.

They don't know their names, don't talk. They do come over to see me when I come to the cage, they're friendly to me, just not tame.

I am pretty much maxed out as far as how many can live happily in the cage together. Its about 5' T x 4' W x 18"D. They like to fly and do not do well when crowded.

Yes, I think its a hoot that Jenna named the twins Joe and Joey.

It does seem that the naming game has taken an intellectual turn, we'll just see how it plays out. Keep the votes coming.

Yes, leave it to me to go off on a tangent... :)

Well, if this IS taking an intellectual turn, I guess that leaves Richard out! :shock::lol:

How about Leonardo for the purple-breasted one? (because he looks like a painting):grin:

Let's see: there is a nod to literature with Atticus, science with Galileo, art with Leonardo; what should the other category be? Music: Mozart or Beethoven? Maybe Amadeus? (the birds DO sing!):wink:

Olaf, now that we are being "intellectual," is from a poem by EE Cummings. "I sing of Olaf glad and big..."

Well, it looks like the votes are in. I think I need to throw in an eleventh hour name into the hat. One of the new guys will be named Gage, in memory of Al's beloved dog that he just lost. I'll post pictures and names once I do a final tally, and have some actual time to do this! We have had so much company come in to visit, and more are arriving Thursday... (yes, I'm TIRED!)

So Rose, what names did you pick besides Gage? Just wondering!

names are coming, they will all have middle names too :) Just been swamped at home with other things. On top of that, three of my original finches got sick. Never been sick a day in their lives before, so all of my "bird energy" has been put into that. They do seem much better now.

Okay then, Finch prayers too. :)

The boys are no longer nameless, and this forum has cast the deciding votes. (drum roll please!)

In photos below, from left to right:

We have Atticus Gage, Winston Pie (he will go by his middle name, except when he needs to sign official documents lol) Monty, and Jupiter Olaf.

Vinnie, Clint and Gus also received multiple votes, but there was only so much I could do with name combos.

Attachments

• the boys atticus gage.jpg
    the boys atticus gage.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 346
  • the boys winston pie.jpg
    the boys winston pie.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 336
  • the boys monty.jpg
    the boys monty.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 363
  • the boys jupiter olaf.jpg
    the boys jupiter olaf.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 405
Well done! They can all hold their little heads up high.

Love the names Rose! Good job. They're all gorgeous! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back