Diagnosis
05/2003
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Atlanta
I was diagnosed about nine years ago with PLS. At that time I was very active physically, and it only had a slight effect on my gait. In those nine years I went from a slight limp to a severe limp, to needing a cane, to needing a manual wheelchair (three years ago), to now, needing an electric wheelchair.

I bought my manual new, and it cost $2,000. I just purchased a slightly used Invacare Storm Arrow off ebay for $3,200 with shipping. So it wasn't dramatically more than the manual chair, but what a difference! I feel mobile once again. The manual chair is OK, but it's *work* going any distance. With the electric, it's effortless! Distances I couldn't do in the manual are done now without a second thought.

I had been putting off the purchase of an electric chair until I really really absolutely had to have it, because a: they are very expensive new and b: I didn't want to admit my disability had reached that level.

But then two weeks ago I was reading the boards here, and someone mentioned he just got a Permobile off of Craig's List, that got me looking at used chairs, and I found what I considered a good deal on ebay.

I'm glad I made the purchase because now I can enjoy being outside without being overwhelmed by the task of moving my manual wheelchair.

I highly recommend an electric chair to those of you who only have manual.

Jim

I love my little jimmie pwc too! Like you I have declined over the years but now I have more energy to focus on more fun activities since the pwc.

I'm so happy that you've got wheels! But is there a reason you didn't have insurance pay for a custom one for you?

I didn't get to pick him out, but I love "Tesla", a permobil c300 that ALSA permaloaned me.

My insurance is not so good. They wouldn't pay for my manual, so I didn't even bother asking about the electric. I know I needed it, and didn't want to have to "ask anyone if I could get one", or jump through their hoops. To me, it's worth $3,200 out of pocket.

Jim

Glad you're mobile again! You got ROBBED on that manual chair. Mine cost a whole $50 bucks on CL. (Too bad I don't have the hand strength to use it)

Power ones are on Cl all the time, too.

Hope you put a nice license plate on it--ya know they can ticket you if you speed! :D

I love my scooter--wish it would work at home!

That's what I figured about the insurance... I was lucky enough to get a free scooter (and ramps!) from CCALS, and MDA loaned me a regular wheelchair for now... I'm still walking with difficulty, but until I got the scooter I didn't realize how limited I had made myself with my choices of where to go and what to do. Now my only fear is that my battery will die! :)

Notme, why can't you use your scooter inside? I can only use mine on the first floor, and have started using a walker with seat (also from CCALS!) upstairs.

Can't beat power, whether you're ready to admit defeat or not. It's moving on.

AL.

won't fit around the corners or in my bathroom. It lives in my car :) A kind person sent me the $ to get one for the apt. I'm through falling. (Hopefully)

I'll take stares at the scooter over falls any day of the week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back