08/2006
Country
BE
State
Belgium
City
Brussels
Dear mates,

I have problems holding my pee, does any ALS patient is experiencing this as well?

Hi Omar. I don't have a problem holding it. Never have. I can sit for hours after the urge first hits me but once I decide to go and get within about 2 feet of the toilet , then I start to dance. I really have to go in a hurry then. I have no idea what causes that.
AL.

Yes Al I didn't mean problems peeing, but it seems that I have exactly what you have.
Once I am on my way to the toilet I go in a hurry feeling that I can't hold it anymore
sometimes I do even pee while I am still lowering my underwear.
Very weird but it seems that it is an ALS symptom so far. Lets see if other patients also have it
;) Omar

I have that problem with my bowels. I read elsewhere on this board that this is not an ALS symptom but it is the thing that got me an appointment with the clinic. The Doc is talkling about doing an EMG on my splincher muscle! :twisted: As IF! Cindy

you see urinating problems inMS I would go to a urologist maybe its your prostate PAT

I do not have als, but suffer exactly what Al and Omar do! When I have flare-ups of whatever my illness is, I will even have to run in the middle of the night and sometimes I am leaking by the time I get there. I even recall this happening before I was ill, so thanks for bringing it up because now it will be something I mention to my doc. You never know, it might be a clue for me! Leslie

Cindy - Ouch!

CindyM said:
I have that problem with my bowels. I read elsewhere on this board that this is not an ALS symptom ... Cindy

My husband has this same 'bowel urgency' (along with urinary urgency & frequency but that's due to prostate problems). It started after the generalized muscle weakness that was to be later diagnosed as ALS.
Due to the fact that loss of sphincter control is not normally attributed to ALS he is being investigated for cancer. However tests for occult blood (not a very reliable test) have been negative.

Hi Omar,

I have had that problem since shortly after my diagnoses. Now I wear a condom catheter, so it is no longer a problem.

Mike

My Dr. at Emory ask me at my first appt. If I had urgency problems when it came to using the bathroom, I didn't then and still don't. But after reading the posts it makes me wonder if it does have something to do with ALS.
Rhonda

I suspect my problem could be mental. It started about the time I had difficulty unzipping my fly due to hand weakness.

Mike

Hi Mike-do you mean you fee more urgent since it is harder to un-zip and get ready? I kind of feel that with my bowels. If the bathroom is a long way off and there is a long line I am more apt to feel the urgency. But that's not the only time of course. Mostly I have no idea when to expect an "accident" of the nature that will require a full change of clothes, including socks and shoes. I now keep a change of clothes in both family vehicles and at work. When flying I book the seats nearest the bathroom and pack baby wipes, a change of clothes, and an adult diaper in my carry-on. It hasn't happened very often but once every three months is too often for me! Cindy

PS: I have been cleared for cancer, polups, IBS, and any other of the usual suspects. I think it is weak muscles.

Urinary urgency is a well-known (I thought) symptom of ALS. My husband went it through about 3-4 months and it did end. There are drugs to treat it. (But who wants to take another drug...) We went to condom catheters and leg bags too.

a video clip on here-- http://www.alsa.org/patient/drug.cfm?id=646 (I confess I didnt watch it...)
Beth

Hi Cindy,

Ya, that is exactly what I mean. I have also had a few accidents like you describe. Luckily, I have always been at home when it happens. I don't have to clean up the mess, it is very disruptive.

Mike

I have read and was told that the one thing that isnt part of als is incontinence. So I think it may be a mental thing, I worry about that when I go out because I have weakness in my hands and if I am alone I wont be able to manage alone in the rest room So before I leave I go to the bathroom Pat

Thank you lunarruna for the video clip. It was very informative. Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back