als and prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
faith, prayer, and 'tolerance'

when i joined this forum, i was mostly interested in learning as much about als as possible as there is little information out there about this disease. by reading the forum and learning about other's symptoms, i am able to more understand what my husband is going through.

when something new happens to him, i immediately come to the forum to see if others are experiencing the same thing. this has been a tremendous help to me, and others also, i am sure.

as time goes on, i am now searching for comfort and support from all of you. i was so happy to read the messages about faith and prayer and how it is helping others besides my husband and i, cope with this disease.

it is disheartening that someone would post negative remarks about christianity and how prayer and faith in God is helping us. for the ones that don't believe in this, or in christianity for that matter, please please don't make this a big issue - let us help each other find support and comfort as best we can.

this forum has become so very important to me, and i hope it does not become a political issue just because some of us want to share our beliefs with others. God loves all of us, and don't you know it makes Him sad to see us fighting over prayer and faith?

let's just all be friends - whether we agree on this or not. aren't we all in this forum to support and encourage each other?

love to all - jackiemax

I am on board with praying and getting answers, I told one of my girlfriends back in Oct. 06 I just pray that I can walk down the aisle at my daughters wedding
in April and last night I did it. Praise God! I believe that ALS is from the pit of hell,
from satan himself, but that is my opinion. God blesses me every morning by letting me wake up and have one more day. Now that my speech is bad, I hear more than I use to,
we really live in a negative world, you can hear it in their voices, it has really proven to me the power of the tongue and that is a blessing to me. In the bible it talks about the power of the tongue. I do believe it's Gods mercy and grace that gets me through each day. Hope everyone has a BLESSED DAY! It is a beautiful day here in Mableton GA.
Rhonda

Rhonda - I am so very happy that you had a wonderful outcome at your daughters wedding! I was thinking about you. Leslie

Cyberhart's comments did not offend me personally. I was raised as a christian and was confirmed - although I am no longer practicing.

I also did not mean to come across as adversarial.

We all have coping mechanism - and my philosophy is "Whatever gets you through the night" - but submitting a proposal that alienates over 80% of the world's population seemed a little out of place on a public forum.

And I wish nothing but the best for ALL of us

My real point was there seems to be a lot of talk about prayer on this forum - and if this helps people - by all means go for it - I just wonder some times whether some of this prayer energy might be directed to better use

As Mother Theresa said: "There should be less talk; a preaching point is not a meeting point. What do you do then? Take a broom and clean someone's house. That says enough."

It's all fine to pray for change - but it's something altogether different to get off our keisters and try to effect positive change

I seem to recall that Jesus was more of a do-er then a pray-er - he was out on the streets washing the feet of lepers - I don't recall any stories of Jesus sitting around praying to God to make his life easier or ease his personal struggle - even when he was on the cross

This was my original point I was trying to make - but on further reflection I do realize that it may have been out of place here as - alas - I have to acknowledge that this awful disease will rob all of us of any coping mechanisms other than prayer or hopeful thoughts (and forget about trying to pick up a broom)

I can still pick up my broom, Rich. I jsut have trouble riding it! :-D Cindy

While Jesus was on earth he not only taught his disciples how to pray he also instructed them to pray about everything. Over and over in the bible we see Jesus
going off to pray alone, praying over the food before eating, giving thanks to His father in prayer and praying for unbelievers. On the night before he was crucified in the garden of Gethsemane Jesus prayed; "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Matthew 26:39.

Yes Jesus healed lepers and washed the feet of his disciples as well as raising a few people from their graves. He drove out demons and fed five thousand people with just two fish and five loaves of bread. He drove the money changers from the temple and healed the blind. He was a do-er and a pray-er giving us a perfect example of how to live.

What I have found to be true in my life is that praying gives me the strength to do what I need to make it through another day and help others get through their days too.

And finally, knowing that I'll live in heaven for eternity with God and His son Jesus and that there will be no ALS and no more tears . . . gives me peace.

I pray for all of the PALS on this forum and for a cure to be found soon.

Jeanne

I to find get comfort in prayer I know only god could help us The doctors are all sitting on their hands Pat

The Value of Prayer

In James 5:13-18, we are taught that the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. The importance of spending much time with God in prayer cannot be over-emphasized. Jesus spent many hours alone with His Father in prayer, and if the perfect Son of God felt it necessary to talk often with his Father, then we as his people ought to feel a constant need to pour our hearts out to God in prayer.

God's Promise

I found this prayer on a bookmark I have and thought I'd share it here.

GOD'S PROMISE

God didn't promise days without pain,
laughter without sorrow, or sun without rain.

But God did promise strength for the day,
comfort for the tears and a light for the way.

And for all who believe in His kingdom above,
He answers their faith with everlasting love.

Author Unknown

ATT158224422.gif

I thank God that in this part of the world we still have FREEDOM OF SPEECH,.
I hope that we never get to the point as some other forums have where no mention is allowed about religion because it might offend someone. Everyone is entitled to voice their opinions. You do not have to agree with me and I do not have to agree with you, but we can still be friends and help one another down this difficult road we are both traveling. I won't be mad at you if you do not agree with my religious beliefs or anything else I believe.

I have had private conversations on this forum with Buddhist, Muslims, Jews, etc. and we remain friends even thought we have different beliefs.

Feel free to send me a private message anytime, if you want to discuss anything in detail. Jesus said if I am ashamed of HIM He will be ashamed of me before the FATHER. I live my life to please Him, not anyone else.

I hope you are able to go through this journey and find peace along the way because we only get one chance.

God Bless
Shalom
Capt AL

Hey captain Al. That's a lovely painting you posted. Did you make it yourself? Don;t tell me we have another budding computer artist in residence! Cindy

I hope the painting will be a blessing to others and I'd love to claim it as mine, but sorry no. I use to paint, but not nearly as good as that painting. Guess I'd be better off painting lawn mowers. :D The paintings I did looked more like what a 5th grade school kid would do I guess.

That one was sent to me by a kind hearted old salt who knew I would just love it. I won't mention his name, because he didn't give me permission, but He's a good friend and a member here on the forum.

He's given me a world of help over the short time I have been at the forum and really made me welcome. Thank you very much.

God Bless
Capt AL

Wel, it is lovely. Thanks for sharing it! Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back