Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay Ann I hear you! I am still using my walker in the house but I am using the wheelchair when we go out. I am also beginning to check out the hover chair sort of a step between the manual wheelchair and a power chair. It will also do away with the walker which is becoming more difficult to push as my arms get weaker and weaker.

We thought that yesterday was a perfect day with a high of 75 and the low last night of 64. My aide came in this morning wearing shorts with her medical top and dressed me for the day in shorts. She reminded me that I shouldn't sit out on the deck too long or I will burn. After all, it's to be in the mid-80s today! :)

I'm expecting the OT at any minute to check out finger braces for my left hand and then the LPN will be here at two o'clock. Heaven only knows when I'll have time to sit on the deck with all this medical traffic today. But I'm prepared -- I'm wearing shorts.

Helen, when I saw on the national news about the youth visiting in Alaska who had some kind of a problem, with the bear, I think, I immediately thought of your sons. So glad that they are coming home safe and filled with lots of stories and adventures. Pictures too, I hope. The downside is there'll probably going a lot of dirty clothes for you to wash!

Last edited:
Hidy ho everyone!
Liz I hope your days have been getting easier with the no smoking. Hang in there girl!

Helen, I am glad your kids are all safe and sound and will be home later today. Its a long flight and I am sure they are going to want to sleep for the next two days! Looks like a big goup of scouts that had a great time. What a great adventure for them! Good for your daughter too to help out with missions. My lil one who will be in 7th grade this school year, will be going on a mission trip to Nome in March for the end of the Iditarod race. They will be passing out hot cocoa to the visitors and spreading the "Good News" to anyone who will listen. They also get to see the end of the race which is the most exciting part for my lil one.

Ann, so sorry for your pain. I also have knee problems as well as shoulder problems and my pain at night when I lay down is mainly in my shoulders and arms now. Of coarse my back too because of arthritis. I have found my pwc to make a big difference on how much pain I am in at night. If I use the chair when out, then I do not have as much pain at night in my knees. Didn't think it would have made that much difference until I found out through experience. I hope you stay cool dear one and have a great rest of the day.

John and I have been working on choosing a host agency for our new buisness. There are alot of choices and we have not settled on one yet...but we are hopeful that it will be soon. Its been great weather out the past few days and although I missed sitting out on my deck, we did manage to get the shopping done for the month (it better last a month!). Ok then, hope everyone has a great day today and take care!

Thanks Diane and Joyce for your thoughts about my kids...! There were a few very panicked moments for some parents who saw the CNN report, but luckily I wasn't one of them, and my first notification was from the troop saying it wasn't them, and everyone was fine. My younger son did say that they saw 3 grizzlies, but I think that was during a bus/park tour where it was safe to do so... hopefully! I know they took MANY precautions.

Joyce, your daughter is going to have such a blast on her trip, and its a great bonding time for the kids involved too. I've been very lucky that between boy scouts and our church's senior youth group, all my kids are active in something good. Not that they don't have their moments! And they're still all slobs, 'cept Andrew who has the cleanest room of the 3 of them.

Hopefully the laundry won't be too stinky, they did it twice on their trip, but knowing my boys, they probably are still wearing something dirty now that they're out of "bear country".

Joyce, what is your new business? You can pm me if you don't want to make it public.

Have a great day everyone!

Joyce, I'm also interested in learning about the new business...and am lifting it up in prayer. Yes, using a powerchair gives a huge amount of relief and energy boost!

Diane, I wasn't pointing at you or anyone in particular. I agree that the wonderful people who come help us can also keep us from having any rest time--a rather odd consequence, I think! Glad you're having great weather, and hope you get enough sun to just barely feel it later. ;-)

Helen, there is much good about unstructured time for kids...like using imagination and creating. You've done a wonderful job with your children. I'm very glad they had no mishaps with bears!

I lost control of my Solo cup of water--which only starts out as 1/3 full--and the water went horizontally, even over my open laptop. The good news is it was cold water, since much of it had a trickle-down effect and ended up under and over me. Oh--better yet, Phil took care of first drying the laptop, and then the rest of my surrounds. This was the second spill on the bed this week, and I have lost my Solo privileges, so have to draw water now from the "foodgrade polyvinyl tubing", which lays across my lap... Phil plans to use a mild bleach solution to clean them with--he bought plenty. Anyone know if bleach on this is harmful? I sure wouldn't want ALS!

Liz, how are you doing without your cigs?

Hi all. Loved reading the chitter chatter.
Just got home from the looooong journey, I am tired and my head is buzzing. We stopped for 4 hours in Shanghai and I had a shower, unfortunately the cleaner walked in on me. I was not completely bare, thanl goodness. In my haste to get out of the shower I dropped my boarding pass, which caused a stirr when I discovered it missing. I asked at the lounge desk and they sad they hadnt seen it. I am not convinced they knew what I was saying as Sam spotted it in the shower book!
I was without a seat on the first leg of the journey so lucky me got upgraded to First class as it was the only empty seat.
now I am home , piles of mail to sort, everything filthy! The med student who had promised to keep everything spotless for 6 weeks of free board, has been a nightmare. Brat...... I asked her to clean the grill, she said yes and 5 minutes later said she was going out. I certainly cant clean a filthy grill that fast. I said are you sure and she rolled her eyes and left. The grill is not touched, she had wiped down the already cleaned Hob. Brat....
Its pouring with rain, so I have not even gone and cuddled my dogs, cause they are all drippy (outside only pooches).

Oh and by the way in Shanghai they had bidet toilets with heated seats. I pushed the wash bottom button and almost landed on the floor. I got such a fright. I must have a tender wee botty, cause I found it quite painful. Glad I did not push the wash front button, heaven forbid, what may have happened!
Well back to the washing and unpacking. Hate that part of travelling
Missed you all
Aly

Aloha all!
I love this thread, as I read it I feel as though I traveling around the globe, visiting far away places as well as keeping track of all you busy little beavers!

Today is warm as usual with passing rain showers, which makes for lots of humidity (great for the skin I here..lol).

After getting my manual wheelchair yesterday I spent the afternoon cleaning it up, removing cob webs and rust and the such. Now I must get innovative as it has no leg rests, so I am going to try and invent one that is a single plate foot rest as the ones with two seem to make me part my legs way to much...lol, I would rather have my knees together..:wink: I have short legs. Well actually i'm just plain short.

Thinking of you all and happy everyone is doing the best they can, one day at a time.
Remember to smile..:lol:

Diane, why did you have to clean up the wheelchair? That stinks that you have to clean it up yourself... I totally don't mind recycling stuff, but definitely prefer it to be free of rust and cobwebs. I just got a walker for the2nd floor, and a bath seat that you can slide into the tub from CCALS, and they were both used. I'm a yardsale type of girl anyway, used to LOVE going to them. Don't go anymore, have too much stuff already, and can't walk well enough to make it fun.

I'm supposed to be getting a wheelchair in the next week or so from the loaner closet at MDA,... think they're adding footrests to it or something, but mostly it's for me around the house as the wheels on the old office chair I've been using in the kitchen have a mind of their own, so I'm constantly crashing sideways into the stove, the wall, the doorframe, etc. And it escaped me when I stood up to get something out of the freezer, so I ended up losing my balance crashing onto the floor of the kitchen. Luckily I grabbed the fridge's door handle which slowed my fall, and my kitchen floor is the original wood which I had refinished a couple of years ago. I would have been hurt if it were ceramic tile, that's for sure! (That, and I mostly landed on my butt, which is well padded)

Refinishing my kitchen floor was a bear of a project to do... getting the vinyl squares off was easy with a blow dryer and a scraper, but it had black/brown adhesive/paper underneath left over from the old linoleum floor that was probably put in the 30's. Know what took that crap off? Nothing. I tried every adhesive remover known to man, and finally resorted to a wet vacuum that I found at the dump, sprayed on water, let it sit for a while, then scraped off that black goop and wiped it off on a pizza box. Several times over, then rinse with the water, and start the next section. Thank goodness I have a constant supply of pizza boxes in this house! It literally took me 2 years before I finished it, and then paid someone to sand the original birdseye maple floors and poly them. They look beautiful, but you can see the sections that were darkened by water damage from years ago. But I love the history it tells, even though others don't!

ANYWAY I totally digressed, didn't I? Hope your chair is working fine for you, the idea of the one long footrest is good, but make sure you can swing it off so you can get outta that chair!

My boys are home all jet lagged and hugs for me :) And my girl is on a bus with 50 others to Chicago for a week's Mission Trip! Our little baby bird is constantly working his wings building up strength, he's so cute! And poops a lot. And he's getting cocky with the perch now, was standing on one leg a few minutes ago, couldn't even hold onto it when we first found him!

I hope everyone is having a good day, NO falls, and no bickering kids around! It's supposed to be hot here today, but so far there's a beautiful breeze and the thunderstorms we were supposed to have never materialized. I'm going out in my scooter in a little while and yank some weeds outta my garden!

Love and hugs to all!

Helen, you floor sound beautiful. I am like you and like the rustic character of hardwood floors. We will someday redo the whole main part of the house with that. When we do not have anymore animals. The buisness that John and I are going into is really something we both love to do and seems to be a natural fit. We are opening our own travel agency. But I wont go into details other than that because we are still in the planning an not officailly open for buisness.

Diane, glad you got your chair and hope it can meet your needs for now. I remember the sudden rains during our trips to Hawaii. It would be sunny one moment then pouring rain the next, then back to sunshine 10 minutes later. We got caught in many of the down pours but we would enjoy the break from the heat. It felt good! We would get a giggle out of all the other people scurrying to get out of the rain. And when the sun came back out, we would dry in minutes it seems. Those were the days!

Aly, glad you made it back home safely. That has got to be a long flight! So your able to take a shower at the airport? I have yet to see a public shower at any airport I have been too. But maybe that is an asian thing? Anyway, sounds like your first class flight made up for the bidet and shower incidents! If the med student is not doing her part and keeping the house spottless for her free room and board. Just give her a bill the next time you see her! Tell her since she is not holding up to her end of the bargin, she is required to start paying you or she hits the road and finds other accomidations. Tell her that 'free loading' is not in your vocabulary! ;) Not sure what it is with this younger generation, but they expect everything to be handed to them! I have gone through several 'kids' like that with not only my own but a couple extra. And I always tried to teach my kids the value of working hard at whatever you do, but they still think they should get what ever they want without working for it. Must be a culture thing in the media or something, because they didn't learn it from me!

Alrighty then, looks like today is going to be slightly overcast. Gotta take lil one to horseback then to the library for the 3 time this week. She blows through a stack of books as if its chocolate! Take care everyone and have a safe weekend!

I am a walkover Joyce. I will just look forward to her leaving :). On a frustrating point. I woke up to a freezing house, which is weird as we have timed underfloor gas water heating. Guess what. Just checked the gas........none left. 4 huge cylinders empty. No heating no cooking for up to a week. I tried to order some, but not office hours. I do have a heat pump in the big living area, but it's a huge house:(. I can still use the electric oven, so I will have to be inventive.

I travel quite a bit so I have a lounge pass. Most airports have showers, but I am too lazy to use them.

Great, cookie just puked all over the kitchen floor.......oh it's good to be home:(

Helen. I will have to send you a cushion to break your falls, be careful girl. Glad your boys are back safely.

Olivia is off to Christchurch soon, so need to take her to the airport. Hope it's stopped shaking

Luv Aly

I missed you Aly and Joyce too! I'm going to Grand Rapids MI in September and asked their ALSA if I could borrow a wheelchair while I was there. I sent out the e-mail early afternoon and got an almost immediate response that they'd be happy to make it happen! I am so impressed with any of the ALSA people I've met or corresponded with. They're the best!

Diane in HI! Yeah, how come you had to clean up your chair? Hope it makes things easier for you Toots!

Have a great day all y'all! Much love from Colorado!

what the hell- i leave for a few days and NOW you folks decide to talk about hookas and pot? do you know how long ive been waiting to talk about hookas and pot? a long time.
Poo on yous guys.
got to run. just got home and need to go check on my PALS. Will update later. Lots of love!

LOL Liz! We can still talk about it if you'd like! It was very educational, brought back old memories, and was lots of fun! Sorry we started without you!

Hey Liz, how was the wedding? Details lady poo, details!

Hi everyone,
Just got home. I'm with Helen with my MOUNTAIN of laundry.
Will update and catch up BUT Great News. My nephew is in remission, Thank God and Nina's curves corrected 20 degrees. Not great and she still has 2 whoppers but she is standing straighter.
Got to go and unpack Ick.....
Love and hugs to you all. This tread is like good meds for me. I wouldn't have made it this far sanity wise without all of you. God bless you all and keep you in the palm of his hand.
Love,
Susan

Aly, I had to laugh when you said you were a "walkover "! It took me minute to figure out what you meant... we call it a "pushover", or a doormat... Stinks about the gas being all gone, someone doesn't turn down the thermostat? We have oil heat here, and have to keep our eye on the tanks as well (unlike most people, I have 2 large tanks of 330 gallons each, so I only have to fill the oil 2x a year). I think they're 330 gal, I'd have to doublecheck that...

Liz, I think it was you who started the thread about the hookahs and then abandoned us for a wedding... so you best be posting some pics real soon girl! Hope you're able to stick to the no cigarettes... I have 3 smokers living here, and let me tell you it smells even though they all smoke outside! Way too expensive too.

On a sad note, my roommate is going through some tough times, and checked herself into a hospital to deal with her emotional crisis... which was an excellent choice for her to make. And her 23 year old cat died today... and we're going to have to tell her while she's in the hospital, so there will be a counselor there. She had already decided to bring Chubs to the vet this coming week to have her euthenized, so in a way this is better that she didn't have to make that choice. But it really sucks the timing. So say a prayer for Leigh to get through this awful time.

Hi to all, I also LOVE reading about everything that's going on in our tea world... you help me out tremendously!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back