Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
nl
City
st. johnès
i have had pain, tightness, a feeling of numbness in my foot and leg for the past 3 weeks. my doctor thinks its muscular. i have never had this before and am concerned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I started with my left foot, tripping and stumbling, no pain, no numbness... some stiffness, but since I already had a chronically sprained ankle, I didn't pay it much attention. I think your doc knows what he's talking about, numbness is not part of it. Maybe a pinched nerve?

the muscle or nerve right out in the front of my leg at times around the knee and the foot. it feels like the skin is sore kinda thing. i guess stiffness is when u try and move it. if i drive a lot both my legs feel tight when i first get out of the car. its been like that for years. so typically with als things stop working like they used to. it more motor nerves that sensory nerves? thanks for your reply

Why do you keep coming back here? You don't have ALS, you aren't going to get ALS, and, frankly, you've got an anxiety problem you need to deal with rather than obsessing about every twitch and tickle.

Only a fool ignores his/her doctor and asks people on the Internet for medical advice.

hi trfogey, im sorry but im frightened to death about this. i have to get emg test done in the future since i contacted the neuro last week he wants me to get emg to check it out. im sorry but im scared silly. i wont post anymore, i dont want to upset people just want to try and get an opinion on my systems. thanks

The place that you should be getting information about your symptoms from your doctors, not the Internet. If you are as frightened as you claim to be, you wouldn't be looking on the Internet. You'd be at a doctor's office or a hospital emergency department, screeching for an answer until you got one.

You have a morbid fascination with serious illness that is not healthy and needs to be treated. Fix the problem between your ears and you may find your other problems easier to cope with. At this point, it surely can't hurt.

i know i stress way too much a nd i went to the emerg last fall and they just sent me to family doctor. i hope things are ok in the end. thanks

Things will be OK in the end only if you get out of the way and let them happen. Your neuro cleared you of any kind of neurological problems three weeks ago. So act like you're healthy and quit feeling sorry for yourself.

Have to agree with trfogey. Please use your talents and active mind of yours to do something constructive like volunteer or paint a picture. Go take a vacation. Anything to take your mind off of the computer and your thoughts. Once again, numbness is not a part of ALS. Pain and tightness in legs is common for anyone who has to drive a while. If it is in the back of your legs maybe you have some problem with your siactic nerve...but def. not als. Go get a massage..no seriously. If you have tight and knotted muscles in your lower back and legs the only way to cure is to work them out. See if you feel better after this. You owe it to yourself to feel good and to have peace of mind. Good luck to you.

I started with my left foot, tripping and stumbling, no pain, no numbness... some stiffness, but since I already had a chronically sprained ankle, I didn't pay it much attention. I think your doc knows what he's talking about, numbness is not part of it. Maybe a pinched nerve?

I agree Helen....I started the same way with my left foot, I worked in an autobody shop and I was tripping over everything (air hoses, nuts & bolts, part's,) and falling. Of course guys in a bodyshop that was funny, even when I'd try to run for the phone it didn't work out so good. Anyway, after a summer of that, I knew something was wrong and when I tried walking in the woods during the fall hunting I tripped over sticks & rocks (not good with a gun), then the first snow came and I tried to "stomp" my feet to knock the snow off my boot's....I couldn't, my leg's would do it with force, sadly I remember smiling to myself saying "this isn't right" (and I don't mean to affend those in a worse position then me). So at this point I am only upper motor neuron problems so far, emg's are showing that so far.

Hi all,

I'm confused - Is ALS always accompanied by atrophy? My b/f results show "no muscle atrophy" but from research, it seems to go hand in hand with ALS. Thanks!

Yes, it's always a part of ALS......Amyotrophic = pathological wasting caused by neurological deficit.

ILuvNY--it is possible to be diagnosed with ALS before there is any obvious muscle loss. The EMG they use to diagnose (and rule out other possibilities) shows specific findings -- long before muscle loss is visible.

Many, though, don't even seek a doctor until there is muscle loss somewhere. I went the first time more than a year ago before I had any loss of muscle--just couldn't use parts of my hand--it was months before that area and those proximal wasted away to nothing.

Part of the problem with so many getting a diagnosis is that there are so many things to rule out--and to be honest--some doctors just don't listen to their patients very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back