Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Spring
I am really scared! For the past week and a half I have had some really weird things happening to my body and I am really scared by them. My right hand on my pinky and the finger beside it cramp up and sometimes go numb, my little toe and the toe next to it feel like they are cramped together and the muscle in my right leg seems more dfined than the muscle in my left. I also have episodes where one side or my whole face goes numb. I have seen a neuro and my PCP and had an MRI of the brain, head and cervical spine (neck) done and my PCP said there was one spot that looks similar to what MS does or a migraine headache but over all he diagnosed me with a pinched nerve in my neck and my back...but after doing the exercises it doesn't seem to be helping. My neuro referred me to my PCP and my PCP said he was 99.9% sure it wasn't ALS but I just can't shake the feeling that there is something else going on, I just don't feel right. Does any of this sound like ALS to you guys? I'm sorry I know you have it and have to live with it but I don't know who else to turn to right now, I am really scared!

Sorry for how you are feeling. I hope it is something that passes. The good news is that the symptom of numbness is not typical for als! If your neuro saw something that could have resembled MS, I don't understand why he would send you back to your PCP. If I was you, I would take the results of all my tests and visit another neuro for a second opinion. My choice would be at a clinic that specializes in neuromuscular disease. Good luck and let us know! Leslie

What about the more defined muscles? I mean does that sound like something that happens with atrophy or am I jumping ot conclusions here? I also forgot to mention that I also have the constant urge to urinate, especially at night. This all started around the same time. I'm sorry I know you guys are trying to help I am just really frightened right now!

Hi there
Some of the symptoms that you describe are not ALS, as far as I know.
The numbness and bladder actions (urge to go!) are not part of ALS, from what I've seen.

I concur with Leslie about gathering what info you have and seek second and third opinions.

I know you're frightened, the unknown is the worst thing. Try not to match your symptoms to what you see on the net. That will only lead to ulcers! (voice of experience here)

Stay strong and keep us in the loop!

Cheers!

Hi sorry about your problem But it doesnt sound like ALS however with the urinating thats a ms symptom or maybe you are drinking more water later at night causing you to urinate more The finger problem can be from your neck but it wouldnt effect your toes I would think a neuro md would be the best one to see Hope you get an answer Pat

Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it! The internet is my enemy, it has made me so nervous about everything I think that sometimes my symptoms come from seeing them online. I will keep you updated, I have a follow up appt with my neurologist on May 2. God bless you!

Hi Renee -

Trying to self-diagnose via the internet is all but irresistable yet we can definitely drive ourselves nuts doing this. All I can say is you are in good company and that you are a step ahead by realizing the effect your search for an answer is having on you. There's just too much information out there. Good luck with your neuro appointment.

Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back