Diagnosis
09/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
Altoona
Well things are certainly getting harder to deal with. My husband has been in a distinct decline since diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago. Recently he has had bladder urgency and when one doesn't move very fast can be a real urgent problem. I have noticed his ankles have been swelling but not sure if it is because he sits too much or possibly the hot weather or both. He does appear to have pitted edema. Has anyone with PLS had similar problems? Thanks, Gracie

yes gracie,unfortunatley it all sounds familiar.
had bladder urgencey for oh! its been some years maybe 7 or 8,it had got worse the past few years resulting in incontinance sometimes.
the bladder urgencey is caused by spasms in the bladder,you can get medication for this but not sure if it works ok.
my feet and ankles swell when sitting too long and in very warm/hot weather also

have you seen his gp or neuro recently and mentioned all your concerns?
you can talk to the doctors on your own so as not to upset your husband.
i ofton think how hard this disease must be for the older ones who get it,it must take more out of the body.
please get in to see his gp or neuro if possible and keep us updated.
thinking of you both,caroline

I have a similar problem. I really have to pay attention to the first hint of an urge. I cannot count on holding it as I used to.

A move towards the bathroom can end in disaster if I wait even a bit. It is almost as if the thought causes the "letting go"....not always, but there have been a few "clean up on aisle 7" incidents.

There are meds, but I haven't done that yet. As mentioned, I just have to really head that direction at first thought. Sometimes a little pinching works, but you still have to manage the clothing issues.

- Jerry

A move towards the bathroom can end in disaster if I wait even a bit. It is almost as if the thought causes the "letting go"....not always, but there have been a few "clean up on aisle 7" incidents.

oh jerry,thats just like me.

I take Detrol prescription for urgency. It works pretty well.

AL.

Thanks everyone. I really had to laugh at the "clean up on Isle 7" it isn't a laughing matter....but it doesn't matter if you laugh. My husband tried Detrol LA and a few other meds but nothing really helps. I bought a new product for baby's, cloth diaper inserts and I sewed them into the front of my husbands undershorts, they really work well and they aren't as obvious as the bulky pads are. He likes the shorts with a little bit of a leg in them so now he can wear them and be comfortable. He can no longer wear his blue jeans because he can't manage the buttons or zippers so I ordered pants with elastic around the waist and this works out well. People without this disease have no idea of all the things they take for granted. Does anyone take Celebrex for the pain in their legs.

never heard of celebrex gracie,is he on baclofen? i think you mentioned he is.
we have to laugh at these things sometimes.............or we would just be one big blubbering mess.
i find looser trousers are best,i have a few pairs of black loose fitting trousers i wear around the house..........comfortable to sit and move around in and easy to whip down on bathroom trips.
take care,thinking of you both.......caroline

I have never heard of celsbrex for pain. I take baclofen for spasms. Isn't celsbrex for arthritis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back