Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Susan, hope your trip is loads of fun. Snakey-Phoo may be eating the gators. I hope you can keep a quiet heart while you wait for your d x. My prayers are with you.

Aly, we have both moles and voles, but no gators! I'm sorry for y'all, Aly, who are getting our rain! Believe me, I'd like it to be here. And life does speed up. You are so right.

Helen, I know...the pond is covered with duckweed from last year's geese, and looks gross green all the time. On the other hand, if swan need some care, I've learned through getting the chicks that Phil's maxed out and needs no other critters to care for. We have Great Blue Herons (2) who only fish, and don't bother other birds. I'll tell Phil about "flying rats"--he'll get a kick out of that.

We DO have those geese. Getting up in numbers and out of hand here as well. You are sooo lucky to have a snake on the porch Susan. I find them fascinating, love how they feel.

Blue Herons.......spectacular birds. We have white ones, that Maori call Kotuku( I think) I have seen them occasionally. They ate so graceful and regal.

I am going to make bread again. It's fun being a bit creative. A coffee cake has been ordered, so will do that as well. Hubby is making pizza bases at the moment so I am keeping out of the kitchen, until he's finished. Men! The kitchen will be left in a mess :)

Hey, I just found out that there's going to be a tv show called "Grimm" this fall on nbc... too funny, as that's my maiden name (and I use it for my middle name)... check it out (hope moderators approve...) It was funny growing up with this last name and having all these brothers :)

Grimm

Susan I have a spoilt bad little maltese...lol he keeps chewing up everything, peeing! But I love him..

My backyard neighbor has set a live trap out for the resident groundhog, woodchuck, whistle pig, ground beaver. He informed me he has a bet with a friend that he can catch the loitering groundhog, woodchuck, whistle pig, ground beaver by next Saturday. If the critter is caught by then, his buddy buys dinner for my backyard neighbor and his girlfriend. If not, my neighbor has to fork over for the dinner.

He originally set the trap in my backyard but has since spotted the furry rodent in his yard. The trap has been repositioned in his yard and has a few chunks of potato set as bait. I would have smothered them with peanut butter (works good on rats and mice).

To keep this huge rodent from re-entering my yard, we placed 2 huge rocks blocking the tunnel it dug under my fence.

He told me that after the pest is caged, he may keep it as a pet and give it a name or perhaps make a dinner of it.

We shall see.

Attachments

• woodchuck.jpg
    woodchuck.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 101
  • bazookawoodchuck.jpg
    bazookawoodchuck.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 91
  • mathwoodchuck.jpg
    mathwoodchuck.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Oh, dinner, by all means...for his buddy! You are a true Rhodentologist, and I'm impressed. Whistle pig and ground beaver are interesting new vocabulary words for me. Thanks for the woodchuck picture. There's a zoo not far from us, which possibly has woodchucks, but I couldn't have ID'd that animal.

Oh my goodness, Zaphoon, that is suuuuch a cute critter. I want one:(

Zaph,

Grilled woodchuck or what ever sounds yummy.

Have it with a tossed salad and either a good red, or my case a Coopers. It would be ideal on a hot summers night

It would beat Camel steaks or Emu burgers.:lol:

Cheers

Peter

Yes, Kim w3ill tjhat B the delicavy 4 the eveming meal? Iam glaf I amnot imvited! My mothjer acually at opossunm 1ce. It jhad the head on it....ooohmot my cup of tea!

I have thouroghly enjoyed the conversations on flying rats, voles, moles, woodchucks, goose, squirrels..ect! We have lots of critters around here, besides what you all have mentioned, you could add porcupine, shrews, moose, wild rabbits and seagulls to the list as pests around here. I remember one time coming home from church and our lab mix dog was happy as usual to see is drive up but this time she had a rabbit in her mouth and was tossing it up in the air and catching again! The rabbit had already 'expired' obviously but she was proud of her new 'toy'. It took both my boys chasing her around the yard to catch her and get her to drop it. But she had so much fun at the expense of the poor bunny's life! :(

Thanks to Ann for posting the pictures of a mole and vole. I saw a vole in the long grass on our hillside last summer and didn't know what kind of animal it was. Much bigger than the shews and mice we have here. But looked like a really big mouse! Although I think it was bigger than six inches. At first I thought it was a baby ground hog but as I was just a few feet from it and staring at it...I decided that it wasn't because the head wasn't squared off enough for that.

Well since Thursday I have been busy with a yard sale. It was a lot of work and it ended today. Only made $73. Total bummer of a sale! Yard sales in AK are not as easy or good as they were in California. Lots of people but they wanted the big items (and most expensive) for close to nothing! Which I will not budge on some things that were brand new and never used, but I had them for half the price of brand new. And some insult me with thier rediculous counters. I am thoroughly disappointed as well as in extreme pain and fatigue. John had to practically carry me to the bathroom this morning as the spasms were continual from all the walking and standing I did yesterday. I can hardly wait till I get my power chair home as it will make events like this much easier. I wont be up on my legs so much and kill myself.

Ok I think I will head off to bed early tonight. Goodnite all!

Boy Joyce hardly worth the effort :(

Monday here and I am off to Auckland this afternoon. I am still nervous! Hubby asked me what's wrong and he said to take a list of questions, problem is I have no questions. I will sit there looking stupid. He says he has plenty of questions, so I will let him take over. I just feel powerless. I am sure it will be all good :)

Helen, how many brothers were there in your "Grimm Household"? That is funny. The Brothers Grimm. I have three--which is good, since Dad gets phone calls and visits from them, and will be with two of the families in July at the beach.

Aly, my sympathy as you go to the doc. I know that mixture of fear and hope, but always took Phil (actually he, of course, "took me") to help in remembering all of the saga... My d x took a long time to get, therefore the saga. And good deal your hubby can ask the right questions. I'm praying for you...peace in your heart.

Liz, I see you. I love you and hope you're doing well!

Joyce, You mentioned a "shrew" among your furry outdoor life. I remember Elizabeth Taylor playing that part, I believe. I hope your legs and all of you have regained strength.

Hello to Peter--A Coopers would make any grilled meat into a great meal, right? ;-)

Joyce I know how you feel about yard sales, and what people expect... I usually have better luck with bigger ticket items on craig's list... have actually sold things on it that I had for free in front of my house for a week that no one took! I only put a nominal amount on those items to get the person out here, if you list it for free often they don't show up when they say they will. Usually at a yard sale things go for about 25% of their original cost, at least around here. Haven't had one since last year, and since I can't do the majority of the work anymore, I doubt I'll have another one soon.

Zaphoon, is that bazooka woodchuck the one from movie, which of course I can't think the name of now! The golf one, with Bill Murray as the groundskeeper, and Chevy Chase. All I can think of is Animal House, and I know it's not that one! I think I'd be a vegetarian like my daughter if someone served up groundhog!

Aly, why are you so nervous about this appt., I hope you're not expecting bad news... keeping my fingers crossed for you, and hoping it all goes well. I was glad to read your early post about how well your daughter is settling in now, I'm sure that's a big relief for you. We never stop worrying about our kids no matter what!

Ann, I just saw your post about my brothers... I have 2 older, 2 younger... but the joke in the family is that I have "13 brothers, and the littlest is Tom" (who is 6'1", big, and at the time looked like a mean biker, though he's the nicest guy in the world". We always seemed to have someone living with us, especially during the troubled teen years, and even through our twenties there were what my Mom affectionately called her "strays". The joke about the 13 brothers came when I was at a nightclub when I was about 19, with my friend Rose, and Tom, who had dropped in to visit us... a guy sat down with me after a dance at our table with 3 chairs, and didn't seem to get the message that he was to leave, until the point where he asked me "how many brothers do you have anyway?" Tom leaned forward (Rose was perched on his knee as this guy was in Tom's seat), put his beer mug on the table, and said "13, and I'm the littlest!" It was HILARIOUS to see this guy leave very quickly afterwards, we were dying! Still makes me laugh.

Crappy rainy weekend here in Mass. hope others have better weather!

Aly hoping you get good news, my thoughts are with you..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back