Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, welcome back Aly, and welcome to Susan! I lived in Pinellas Park for a short time in the late 80's and freelanced in Tampa at a graphic design studio while looking for fulltime work. Which never happened, and I ended back in New England. I never really considered myself a New Englander (I was born in Dallas, and always wished we had stayed there so I could have horses) until I lived somewhere else! Can't beat the seafood, pizza and chinese food I guess. And don't forget the Boston Tea Party, though there wasn't any drinking of tea that night, but another type of drink.

Ever since I saw the movie Up, we yell SQUIRREL to my dog, and she goes nuts looking for them... and this year, I've added CROW to it, since I've caught some newcomer HUGE crow squawking at my cat who was on the porch. The crow was sitting in the middle of my driveway flapping its wings at my 13 year old Oliver, so I got the dog, yelled CROW and let her out. Too funny to see her try to climb a tree. I have a picture of them in my gallery of the cat sitting on my son's trumpet case, and the dog next to him... it looks like they're going on a trip together or something. Big black dog, small orange cat... Big black dog, who I gave a bath last week from my scooter (which was not fun), rolled in something that smells disgusting! I don't know where I'm going to put her for the night, she's definitely not sleeping in my room.

I went to the clinical trial appt yesterday (2+ hours) and to the ALS clinic today (2+ hours), I'm tired of this! But I started on the dexpramipexole (or placebo) yesterday. We'll see what happens there. My clinic today went really well, but he wants to do another EMG since I haven't had one since last summer. So we'll do one in Sept., as I don't really want to schedule more stuff right now. Even though I'm having more trouble walking and with my back/core, my doc said, basically I'm healthy! I told him I keep waiting for him to kick me out of the clinic, that I don't belong there... :)

The weather is really beautiful today, in the 80's and lower humidity... as it should be! No more of those historical tornadoes hitting us this week thankfully. It's a miracle that only 4 people were killed in the tornadoes when you see the tornado's path from Nasa's satellite! Anyway, hope everyone is safe and sound.

Liz, I wanna see that pic of you with the boxing gloves! If you start boxing, you'll be too tired to raise your arms for butt you know... Meg, good job on cleaning out the office, now go have some fun! Joni, Avril, Marta, Ann, Kim, I'm running out of brain cells trying to remember everyone's names from their avatars! Doesn't matter, I'm thinking of you all!

Hey, sorry for all those #(&(#& exclamation marks! Guess I need to edit myself a bit more.

Helen my dogs get baths and then go put and roll in dead bugs, and Stink!Ann your weather is like here. At 9:30 this morning it was feeling like 90.Hot! Oh and welcome Susan, and any other newbie that would like to join our tea party:)

Helen, my goodness, please don't edit. When I quit editing, it will be so poorly typed (cannot see keys while lying down), I desperately need people to help me feel at home--Already I have / instead of '. As in, We/re neighbors. So much easier.

Aly, glad your daughter is doing fine. I don't doubt your concern. It was such an Aly thing to visit her.

Joni, haha, I just watched "The Long Hot Summer" last night. Very fitting title.

I know Ann I am sitting here under the air sweating like crazy! Hey has anyone heard from Chief?

Wow all those nice animals in your yards.

All i get are, Red Back spiders, Tiger snakes and the odd Fox.

We also have a lot of birds, like Magpies, Wattle, and Wrens.

Well the earth works for the veranda are done. not too much of a mess considering we are heading in to winter.
Now for the construction to start.

cheers and welcome to the new people that have come to tea. Aly will have to get a bigger pot, or just make mine a Coopers :lol:

Peter

Okie dokie... you guys keep talking bout critters. Well I found a critter floating in dad's in-ground pool. It was a mole the size of a large rat! This mole had feet the size of a spoon. I have seen moles but this bugger was as healthy as a horse til he took a dive. Seems the lady next door to dad has had a running battle with moles. My daughter told me that this mole is probably the culprit because she saw the huge size of the tunnels in the lady's yard!
:lol:

We dont have moles either! Ive seen the mess they can make, so I dont think I want them in my garden.

Peter I think I will join you for a coopers tonight. Still prefer the MacLaren Vale Shiraz, yum. Any from that region are just perfect. Glad we dont have nasty snakes, but the redbacks have made there way across the Tasman. Not a wanted import!

I am off to cook dinner,
Hugs

This sounds silly, I am not scared of spiders, snakes, and rat creatures I am terrified of! Cleaned a house the other week. My customer has 5 cats, and 2 dogs, and a cat door where they come in and out. In the bedroom floor was this dead mangled body of a chipmunk...I kept trying to figure out how I could clean around...lol Finally got a thick towel put over it and took it outside. Gross!

Peter, a veranda sounds wonderful--your summers are really hot. Are you using the woodstove yet?

Kaye, that rat sized mole is gross! Your dad's poor neighbor...tunnels like that can be dangerous while walking. In my mind's eye I can see one of our dogs--going back some years--who basically made our yard uninhabitable for anything but birds and bugs. We were walking partners through trails in the back. Behind that is a field, and just after haying was done, Sheba saw a rabbit in the middle of this 20 acre field. She tore off, got across from the rabbit, and they both hopped back and forth while I'm screaming her name. Well, she caught it and brought it to me by its neck. When I said "drop!" she asked me (eyes were talking) if I was nuts, dropped the rabbit, which hopped off to the field again. And, we continued our walk.

Helen, you yelling "SQUIRREL" or "CROW" to your dog is so funny. She sounds very bright.

Joni, yuck. Time for disposable gloves.

It's Iced Tea time here!

I'm wondering if that huge mole was a different critter altogether? Probably one in the same family, too bad no one gave it swimming lessons.

We have a constant supply of moles/voles (don't really know the difference), birds and chipmunk carcasses strewn around the killing fields of my house. Worse are the ones you can't identify... all thanks to the killer queen cat we have names Liza. She was a rescue but shows no pity to any critter that's not faster than her! I'm not really worried about her with the coyotes and foxes we have in town these days, as they better run from her! We had a black bear sighting last Saturday in the center of town, and while the police were in that neighborhood looking for the bear, s/he had wandered a block away up to the police station and sauntered by there! Too funny. Our town is 1/3 reservoir and with many streams (wow, it just started POURING out on the landscaper across the street mulching the neighbor's yard! Guess he's wet now) we are getting lots more critters around. The flying rats, Canadian Geese are the worst, polluting everywhere they stay. And to think the first time we saw them, it was awwww, how cute is that? All I can say is don't walk barefoot on the local beaches around here without looking down! I know one man in town bought a couple of swans in the hope to keep the geese out of the water behind his house.

I was over a friend's house a few years ago (I just barely knew her then), and her dog was running around the house with a furry "toy" tail in her mouth. My friend didn't know what to do, so I called the dog over, and took it from her mouth. It was half a squirrel tail! YUCK! We still don't know how she got it, but it was quickly disposed of, and you can bet that I washed my hands really well!

This mole/vole issue required serious investigating, LOL. Voles can be up to eight inches long, look more like mice than moles and eat roots, grass and bulbs. Both moles and voles have tunnel systems, but moles eat grubs...and people who have pets and also spray their yard to kill fleas don't usually have moles. The vole is the top picture, the mole underneath. Helen...no "flying rats". But do swans work to keep Canadian Geese away? The pond is inundated, and the surrounds are yuck.

Attachments

• molesmall.jpg
    molesmall.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 186
  • vole2.jpg
    vole2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 108
" and voles eat grubs.......and people" now that got me confused. Don't have my contacts and glasses on yet, so it took a few reads to see that you don't have human killing voles. It would make a good movie.........Ann and her killer voles.........voles! Someone made a movie here called black sheep, about a killer sheep, never saw it :(

You know ladies and gents, it wasn't long ago that I was basking in the heat while y'all were freezing. Now it's tipsy turvy. Aren't the seasons a strange thing. They really do change rather fast......or is life just going too darn quickly?

It's going to rain again all day, so no gardening, and a bored 12 year old........fun.....not.

Going to make my morning cuppa. Hugs aly

yeah, its raining here all day as well... 2 bored boys!

Ann, we call the Canadian Geese "flying rats" as they're so dirty and obnoxious... they're crapping all over the place, and don't move on. Kind of like a houseguest that never leaves I guess. I've read the swan and geese are mortal enemies as they compete for the same areas. This guy bought 2 swans from a place in the midwest (they had cropped wings) and had them in the reservoir inlet behind his backyard. They weren't really tame, but not really wild either, as he fed them and had a shelter for them the first year or so. I don't know if it really worked or not, but I don't see too many geese on that section of the reservoir.

Thanks for the pics, now I know that we have moles, not voles!

It's so cold today, the ac has been on the last few days, 90°+, and now I feel like I should put the heat on!

Hello Ladies!
After my post on snakes, Flying squirrels and Gators guess who came to visit! My little Black Racer sunning her bad self on my patio. When we moved here 6 years ago she was about 6 inches. Now she's 5 feet. I'm sure it's the same one. My daughter named her snakey-pooh.
Anyway, a give her a little squirt with the hose so she's not so comfy by the sliding glass door.
I just want to thank you all for making the last few weeks bearable for me. I do enjoy the posts. Have a wonderful weekend. I'm taking my daughter and her BFF to Disney water parks for a few days. Hubby staying back to work (someone has to!) and watch the crazy Malteses.
Blessing to you all,
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back