Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
tx
City
katy
Seems to be a few emg concerns and since i ve been on vacation my mind has been playing tricks on me agian.My emg reading was clean performed by a emg tech.I was relieved ofcourse but my symptoms persisted and ended up in worry world again.My question today is there are over 600 muscles in the body how does inserting the needle in one loaction in an area cover the majority of these muscles.I had all limbs examined and my neck muscles.

You're bound to hold on to this one until the bitter end, aren't you? OK, I'll bite.

How many places do you need to stick a probe into an electrical wire to determine whether there is current flowing in it or not?

If the conclusion is a clean EMG, rejoice and do a happy dance! You cannot have ALS if the EMG is clean! Those needles are hunting for abnormalities and evidently, none were found in your limbs. I hope you gave the doc a big hug when he gave you the news!

Last edited:
Trfogey,

OOOOH, OOOOH [insret Arnold Horsjhack voic here (from Welcone Back Kottre)], ism't the answer none wjhen it con es 2 real elctriv curremt?

JK (juist feel;img a little surly 2dau)

Kimnberly

Thx for your replys, your analogy really make alot of sense.I was thinking after the ng. emg that maybe it was bfs but my left side goes numb foot, hands , spots on my leg.That is what has cause me stress.Oh well its only been 4 months i guess if its serious it ll get worse.thanks agian.

Thx for your replys, your analogy really make alot of sense.I was thinking after the ng. emg that maybe it was bfs but my left side goes numb foot, hands , spots on my leg.That is what has cause me stress.Oh well its only been 4 months i guess if its serious it ll get worse.thanks agian.

And this too points away from ALS. It doesn't cause 'numb' sporty--it causes DEAD--as in the muscle simply wastes away--the paralysis you've read about here isn't 'numb' feelings--it's simply that the muscle is paralyzed. Not painful. Not numb. Useless.

Ever have a body part that fell asleep--I mean one you laid on wrong so long you simply could not move it not matter what you did til the "pins and needles" came and it woke up.

When it is paralyzed, it is kind of like that--and once it happens, it's not ever going to 'wake up' again--eventually, the muscle wastes away-it simply can't move. There is no signal getting to it to tell it to move.

Numb can be caused by tons of things--ALS is NOT one of them, luckily for you.

Thanks agian i ve got one more question my cpk level read 322 out of a range of 21-101u/l.It read mild inflammation on my sheet.What could cause this increase.thx.

Ever have a body part that fell asleep--I mean one you laid on wrong so long you simply could not move it not matter what you did til the "pins and needles" came and it woke up.

When it is paralyzed, it is kind of like that--and once it happens, it's not ever going to 'wake up' again--eventually, the muscle wastes away-it simply can't move. There is no signal getting to it to tell it to move.

And just to clarify here, muscles paralyzed by ALS don't tingle or have "pins and needles" or any other unusual feelings all the time. They aren't numb -- if somebody sticks a needle in them or cuts them with a knife or whacks them hard enough to bruise, they feel pain. They'll get sore if left in one position too long and they will get the pins and needles feeling just the same way that normal muscles do.

The only "normal" thing they don't do is move.

Last edited:
Sportsfan,
When does it go numb? My guess since it is a clean emg, is it happens when you a muscle's been in the same position for a long period of time, am I correct. Lower body my guess is sciatic nerve ie... exactly what the others are saying. There are certain times when the nerve is temporarily blocked. Happens to tons of people and is pretty normal. As everyone else is saying hug your doctor and be HAPPY. Just don't stay in one position to long and when sitting, make sure you're not sitting on anything (like a wallet). So be joyful and count your blessings! And if you really want ALS I'm quite sure there are many that would trade with you (I being one of them!)

Sportsfan,

I don't think anyone here will hazard a guess on your blood level results--it's not the area of expertise in this forum. But--I wanted to clarify so you're not at all confused--My little scenario was an analogy for how a paralyzed muscle doesn't operate that you might relate to--the part BEFORE the pins and needles set in. Trfogey did a much better job trying to clarify it for you by reminding you that ALS patients can still 'feel' they just can't 'move', which I neglected to point out.

your pins and needles and other assorted things point AWAY from ALS. I wish you'd believe that and work with your doctors to find your answer. Good luck to you

sportsfan if I were you I would cruise over to a forum about CIDP. I'm not saying that is what you have but it sounds a lot more like something along those lines (very much treatable) than ALS. Your barking up the wrong Giggle tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back