Gardens and Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all have lovely gardens and how I wish I could maintain that much again! I have a post in moderation that has pics of my garden last year. Its really piddly compared to all of yours but its still mine and all my work! :D

Ohhhh, veruy1 has pics up & I dom't! I'm jealous. As soon as Linmdsay comes home from the besach, I asm going 2 havce her take pics of

the huose. My6 fathre brouhgt down the pieve 4 the drill so now it's uop 2 me 2 find somne1 I can trusdt 2 drill my doort openimg.

Graysopn was funny yestredeay; she askedf me Y I painmted thhe front door pini. I replied, I wamtred it 2 "POP". She saidf she wsa

embarressed BCF poeople R slowimg down @ look at it. That's the idesa! She's so unhhappy witgh me rihggt now.

Joyce, those photos are gorgeous, as are the flowers themselves! Who's the little girl on the deck?

Kim, you'll have to post a pic of your front door, I love different color doors. Mine has been an eggplant for a while now, will have to think about what color to paint the one on my new house (when I finally move) 'cause you know I can't leave well enough alone.

That is my lil one. It was taken last summer...although she is 6 months shy of being an official teenager! Thus the name lil one! Thank you for your comments. I have new pics of the plants I potted today...hopefully will get them up in a bit.

Kim, I am one to go around with a camera in my car and take pictures of front doors (although I haven't done it in a while). There are so many intereting front doors and they can sometimes tell the personality to the person behind them! Yours would be awesome and show the bright personality you are!

Ok I will post a few more of my garden pic only this time for this year so far. I just bought and planted pots of tomatoes, roses, several different herbs, pansies, strawberry and a few more plants that I do not know the name of without having to go outside and collect up all the little markers for them.

You can see them all (including my before shot pond) in my Alaska album here by clicking on my name. But I wanted to show on this thread an incredible rose I found that should hopefully survive through the winter (indoors of coarse). They call it a Mauve antique rose. When they are buds they are a deep reddish mauve, then when they bloom and as they age they become paler till they are almost muted of all color and look very antiquish. I only have the bud and the older blooms. When the buds open I will get a shot of what they look like first opened.
11773-albums491-picture3358.jpg

11773-albums491-picture3357.jpg

11773-albums491-picture3356.jpg

Joyce, beautiful deck, beautiful daughter and I love the perspective taken by you.

Kim, I so want to see your front door!

Pictures have a maximum size. By using the "Go Advanced" reply and using the "attachment" further down the page, and always doing "upload", it should work. FAQ probably has more instruction. My head's packed into place with pillows or I'd give better instructions.

Hi Kim, a fiddleneck is just what they call the head of the fern before it opens, you can pick them and use them in salads, etc. They almost have the same shape as a shrimp in they're all curled up. They're really good! My Mom's street name is actually called Fiddleneck Lane...
Helen, in Canada we call them fiddleheads, although I think fiddleneck is actually more descriptive. They provide spring pocket money to people in New Brunswick especially, who go down to the cool wetlands along streams and pick them by the pillowcase. They are then sold to supermarkets who sell them throughout Atlantic Canada. They are probably nearly finished now and I have missed them being away. They are one of my favorite seasonal foods. I love them sauteed in butter with a bit of garlic. But then cardboard sauteed in butter with garlic would likely be OK too.

Last edited:
Joyce, noe what kimnd of pics were U REALLUY uploadimg?

Beautiful ...........beautiful pics! So great to see our Hummingbirds have returned. George delighted in them and is sending them back for me!

Joyce, I LOVE your new mauve roses. Spectacular.

Hopingforthebest, Hugs... those hummingbirds are so very special!

John, cardboard sauteed in butter and garlic would at least make a good lickable course eaten before chocolate.

Thanks for sharing your lovely gardens. Ric and I bought this house in 2008. It needed extensive renovations and as he got sick last year lots of it I am doing now. Gardening is how I relax. Here are the beginnings of my gardens. I painted the garage this week and ripped out rug last week. Need to get to the city to buy my laminate, so for now I am on yucky old hardwood and lino :(

Attachments

• Irises.jpg
    Irises.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 294
  • Back of Garage.jpg
    Back of Garage.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 284
  • B of G2.jpg
    B of G2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 269
Abbigail, nice pictures. Sounds like you have some big projects on the go. Girl power <g>. Hubby's relatives came from the Foam Lake area.
Laurel

Hi guys! I was trying to build a garden suitable for the tours we have in abundance here, but the venue I offered to decided not to tour in 2011. Have a peek, you can tour instead, for free. I made an album for 2011 and so far spring is in. Solomons Seal, Columbine, Forget-me-not and Sweet Cicely preside with a few less favoured like gout-weed and nettle, but all provide interest. I also started a shiitake mushroom farm that I will put an album in about later....progress shots etc. The medicine wheel is an adventure all its own. The kids and critters add flavour.

On the critter note: the black squirrel hung around for a while digging up the violet roots among other things. His feet were too big and he grunted while he worked, but was a lot of fun to watch. The baby robin lost everything in a high wind and Katie adopted him. Fox as we call him has been flourishing and will be fledging now that Katie is off school and can give adequate worm lessons. He flies well and can find his own ants etc. but likes the security of his white cage. Chippy had an accident of sorts and was lying around on one side. Overnight Gordie and Katie nursed him, getting him to perk up with sugar water and maple keys and he released himself into the diningroom so we sent him to the shade garden to live. We have learned a lot and made many friends in our yard and look forward to more adventures as the summer progresses.

Such great photos and stories! For those of you who haven't found it, check out Tom's Support's photo album with the flowers and all kinds of critters. I really enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back