7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
Just an FYI...

It has been mentioned before that not all bidet seats fit on all existing toilets. Although no specifics were mentioned here on the forum, it made me ultra careful when preparing to order one.

When determining which model to buy, the manufacturer will have a specs sheet, or a toilet compatibility chart. Their instructions on how to measure seem straight forward.

The basic measurements are the space between the bolts for seat, the space between those same holes and the tank, and the length of the toilet bowl.

If you look at your toilet setup, and its flat all the way from the bowl to the tank, then taking measurements is pretty straightforward.

BUT

What it seems only Toto points out, is is that if there is a curve on the deck of the bowl portion, transitioning up to the tank, then, very likely a washlett is not going to work on the toilet. (width issues)

Its hard for me to describe with just words. I actually downloaded the Toto compatibility sheet and tried to convert it to a document, so I could add it as an attachment (because of the links being moderated and not allowed on the forum now) but, that didn't work.

We ended up ordering a new Toto toilet to go with the washlett. It seemed to be the solution, and financially we were able to do it. I chose the Mercer, (style name) It meets ADA requirements, is actually attractive looking, and is compatible with the 400 series washlett.

If you're in the market for a bidet seat, I'm not saying there isn't any washlett that will fit if your toilet has the curve, just that I didn't find one, and pretty much gave up out of frustration. Before you purchase, just make sure (double triple sure) that all factors are taken into account.

BTW there is a brand by the name of "I N A X" (spacing the letters so that brand name does not cause my post to go into moderation limbo) that makes an integrated toilet (the washlett is not an add on, rather, part of the toilet) It is crazy expensive, but, I asked the plumber about it just because at that point I knew I needed to get a new toilet anyway. He had installed two of these in a huge hardware store showroom in the Washington DC area. He said absolutely not. Unless I just had money to burn. He said installation would be a minimum of around $1,500, not taking into account the cost of the fixture. He wasn't even sure how the specs for the toilet meet US plumbing code, and said if it broke, to expect repair bills in the $1000s. ~ And that was if I could find a plumber that knew how to fix it!

However, for entertainment purposes, if you do an internet search, you can find information on it. It plays music, (seriously) it has a nightlight... its beautiful, the top of the line is a black toilet, and there is a slightly less expensive white version.

Another thing to look for, is where the control for the seat is located. If the control is mounted on the seat side itself, then it probably is not the best choice...

... It plays music, (seriously) it has a nightlight... its beautiful, the top of the line is a black toilet, and there is a slightly less expensive white version...
But just think what you could save by having this for your home entertainment system instead of throwing money away on tickets for theatre, ballet and movies. Not sure how suitable it would be for entertaining friends though.

I hope you like your Toto as much as I do mine. I have two now and it would be the one "ALS device" I would not part with if I were cured tomorrow.

YES, John, lol. And the warm seat actually helps. When trying to "perform" with people walking back and forth in front of you, both the noise (fan in the TOTO, but music in the one Diane's talking about!) and a warm seat help foster that ability. Honestly, sometimes due to the helpful folks busily fixing things all around me, I have to close my eyes (so they can't see me) and drop my head.

Oh--I have to say that as of this week, I need to be handed the piece of TP or the bidet remote. I have, in other words, to have folks close by.

Ann, I'm sorry you have lost some abilities but glad to see you haven't lost any of the great sense of humour.

I just ordered a Toto today. Am anxious to get it and put it in. I am hoping to not have any trouble with fit.

Here is my spiel on bidets again.

I had looked into bidet toilet seats by Toto and BioBidet - but at $400-$1000+ they were more than I wanted to spend.

I would also need a special AC outlet installed in the bathroom - more expense and hassle

The seats looked cool - but had a lot of features that I really didn't need - seat lifter, seat warmer, blow dry, etc.

Then I learned that there are a whole slew of simple, effective and cheap bidets out there for less than $100 - I've paid as little as $60.
They are non-electrical and easy to install. One brand is Luxe Bidet.

They have models that just run on cold water and others that can be hooked up to the hot water from the bathroom sink.
You may need to pad off with TP. I never do.

I've almost lost the use of my hands but I can still easily operate the controls. One dial for water pressure and one dial for temperature.

I've been using mine for nearly two years and it has worked flawlessly.

Plus they are so cheap I've also had units installed at my cottage, parents and in-laws so wherever I go I'm covered. I even have a spare one in case any break down.

These inexpensive bidets are probably one of my greatest discoveries since my diagnosis. I was so relieved to learn that I did not need to spend $1000 on a toilet seat.

Just search "bidet" on ebay

Less than $100? really? Wow, that would make my life so much easier--not so much for ALS reasons--but for back problems.

Can these be used in apartments? They don't damage the plumbing or anything?

Actually there is a bidet regularly $85 on sale on Amazon for only $10 plus $7 shipping. It is similar to mine and it got good reviews. Problem is it is only cold water - but actually that should be refreshing in Florida.

I have a cold water bidet which I don't mind at all but my wife finds it a little bit too exhilarating. But at $17 you can't go wrong.

I'll PM you a few bidet suggestions.

They are easy to install as long as you are reasonably handy- and have the use of your hands.

I don't know if your Landlord would want to approve the installation but they are easy to remove so there is no reason for him to be fussed.

There is no way that it will damage the plumbing although if not installed property it may leak a bit.

That is an incredibly great price! And you're right, Florida water does not get as cold (native but long time transplanted Miami girl here)

Patty, take the measurements on the top of your toilet so you will know if you can get this seat, or any seat to work with it. I will go take some photos of mine and post them here so people can see what I'm referring to. I wish I'd taken photos of my old toilet which would not accept a bidet seat...

Here are the places to measure:

The measurement indicated in blue ink is the space the prohibited my previous toilet from being compatible with a bidet seat, as there was a raised curve on the outside top of this area.

Also, (forgot to take picture) measure how long the space is from the tank front to outside of bowl (longways)

Attachments

• side clearance bidet seat.JPG
    side clearance bidet seat.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 1,728
  • side clearance bidet seat2.JPG
    side clearance bidet seat2.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 493
  • bowl deck.jpg
    bowl deck.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Thank you both!

When my back goes (and it goes a LOT) this would be a life saver. I just can't bring myself to ask my daughter for help with this one...

want me to ask her ,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back