Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimberly, I am so glad Avril told you exactly how those satin sheets can be helpful. I read about it a few years ago--just what she wrote--but couldn't remember the details to explain. You got a great deal for $20. Hope you find shoes before your energy runs out.

Thank you all for suggestions and thoughts about my visitors. So far, Helen, I've been in the chair, and my laptop stays upstairs. I know I can call my RN and request a changed time... and think now it may be time for her to come after I'm put back into bed and no longer at my peak. I can tell her when I call that I have trouble with 2 visitors and don't need the social worker (and that is the truth!), and also need shorter visits, as long as she is able to do and say what she needs--but no longer. Avril and Aly, you're correct...it's ingrained to smile and to be polite, and I know a big part of the trouble is just that. Reminds me of a story, though--a child with very serious birth defect/illness used to tell visitors "good-bye" when HE wanted them to leave. It was effective. He lived to outgrow the disease and his parents have since had to teach him social skills.

Avril, I am praying for you and for your mum. Reading a bit between the lines, but I think I probably understand. Hugs, dear friend.

Love to you all-- I am always glad to come to this thread and to get caught up on your lives. Helen...praying for the sale of your house.

Kim- the spinner was so you know where to put your hands and feet.
you know "right foot red. left hand yellow"
that sort of thing... very interesting some times...

Avril- my dear sweet friend. Please give Mum one of those forehead kisses and tell her I love her. If she asks why, just tell her I said because she made a wonderful daughter.

Hell on wheels- sorry you had the mishaps. hope it doesnt happen again

Aly- for some reason, Barry Whites "Lets get it on" just popped into my head. Wonder why?!

Diane- Yay! so glad to hear from you. sounds like the burial went pretty well. i will be looking for you in the crowd tomorrow. Enjoy the heck outta the race.

Um... lets see here. Joni- little ones are often awesome like that. take a look at rcharltons thread about his little one and the cute things she says.

Marta- i think you need an award for being cute and spunky and having a great attitude! Oh, also, I shaved my PALS head today and he is so much cuter than before. HOw is that possible? Heres the creepy thing, I saved his hair! Before you all freak out, hear me out. Theres this company that can make diamonds out of someones ashes or hair. so im going to do that when my PALS passes so i have something gorgeous that really is a piece of him.

Ann- i know what you mean about being polite and smiling and just dealing with other ppls crap. but you shouldnt have to waste your time on things you dont want to do. maybe make little notes so you dont have to "say" it to them. i think someone suggested this...
Or start a thread about it, and send em here to read it. heck, give my number and i will tell them for you.

Im going to post this and then go back to see if i forgot anyone...

Joyce... saved the best for last....(no offense ladies)
How in the heck is that thumb of yours? Sorry you got hurt but glad it wasnt as bad as you thought.

hello all! My goodness! Just trying to catch up with all the reading has left me fatiguer than I was (yes I know I am making up words...like fatiguer, meaning more fatigued than when I started. What can I say other than...its a talent and habit for when I don't know the correct wording to use at the time of typing!).

I had an extremely busy first half of my day and I didn't get to finish the second half of errands because I fatigued myself to the point of exhaustion. My lil one has a horse that we just started a lease on for the summer. She went riding again today and I took her after going to breakfast with her and John (hubby). John had to go referee some soccer matches so we dropped him off first.

Well watching my lil one prepare the horse for riding and then riding the horse is always a pleasure. I had always wanted a horse when I was growing up, and I wanted to own one as an adult. But life just didn't have that in my story, so watching her gives me such pleasure as I live through her delight and growth in confidence while I watch her. Anyway, after she rode for an hour, we had to of coarse, give the horse a bath as she was so dirty and hadn't had her spring bath yet. So this is something the two of us worked on for over an hour. That horse was squeeky clean and so pretty.

As lil one walked the horse out in the sunshine to help speed the drying, she had such a big smile on her face! It warmed my heart to see her so happy. I could imagine I would have been smiling too when I was her age doing this. The only drawback to the whole thing was by the time we eventually got back to the truck, I not only had a difficult time getting up in the truck by myself but I was so exhausted and weak I wondered if it was a wise thing for me to even drive. Well, we sat in the truck for awhile and I finally felt like I could drive. So we drove directly home (15 minute drive on backroads). I was exhausted and in great pain from overworked muscles that seem to be in perpetual cramps.

My son went to pick up John when the time came. But I am still having to use two canes and am exhausted beyond what I would call normal. We have been home 41/2 hours and I barely got from my bed to the computer chair that is about a foot from the bed! This will be a hard thing for me to give up...taking care of a horse. But I guess I will only be an observer next time. It was hard to give up riding a couple years ago.

Ok...was not meaning to tell you the whole story...but there it is. Just processing. Although I hope while you were reading you could feel the sense of enjoyment I get out of watching my lil one ride!

I pray you all have a good night of rest and a wonderful day tomorrow!

Liz, my thumb is doing quite well although it is weak and can be injured very easily if I do not wear my thumb brace. Thanks for asking! Have a good night!

Well Ladis, we jusrt got hone & I am rday 4 bed. But of cuores I had 2 hjace a cuo of tea B4 bed. I wsa able 2 get a pr of shose 4 me & hopeflulu Grauyson's will fit hjer.

Ann, is tjhrer anyway Phil cuold B there wjhen thjey come. U cuold alwsays hace him speak up 4 U. Espeeciallu if U R payimg 4 a presoms sercice tjhat U reslly dom't neeed. It's so esay 4 us 2 tell U wjhat 2 do; but I womdre how nany of us wuold actuallu do it?

Liz, I wsa telking my kids abuot this thr othre nihgt. U need 1/2 cup of hair, part of the cremains (thjat is whjat the ashed R called agtre crematoin), &/or boht. I am giong 2 domate my boyd 2 sciemce & aftre 1 yr thjey cremate U & retutrn U 2 UR familu. Tjhe onlu problen is the cost. It is $2300.00 4 1 dianond. I hjace 6 kisd & wuold wamt each of thjem 2 hjace a part of me; but it will B quitr expemsice. My yuongesr boy Matt asked wjhat he wuold do with a dianomd? I said make a stiud. HJe said no way. I said make me imto a ring. He siad hje cuold gice it 2 his wife. I said makr suer 2 get me bacj if U dicorce. This wsa our dimmre comceresation & a dau or 2 latre CJ strartde a tjhread abuot it!

Jouyc, I knoe whjat U mean by ocerdiong it I cuoldn't get uot of tjhe vam whn we pukled up 2 tjhee house 2nihgt. Limdsaus fianmcee hjad 2 get me uot amd he3lped me up tjhe 2 steps we hace 2 get im thje huoe3s. I'm too old 4 this!

Aluy, R U still on UR romamtic geetawau? I hoope U R enhjoying URself. Liz cuold hjace givm U the twisrte game & I hjace some hjandcuffs U cuold hace borroewd!

I hoope ecery1 has a good nihgt & we will see wjhat my demonic sjheets do!

Avril, give Mum a kiss fron me too!

Loce 2 All,

Ha ha Kimberley. Yes I am home. The hotel was luxurious, the meal amazing. We had a fantastic time. I have been catching up on everyones chatter, bur haven't taken notes. So as not to embarrass myself, I will just say, I enjoyed it all!

I got am amazing thunderclap migraine that luckily did not last long, so I kind of ruined the romance. Lol, had fun regardless.

I just got off the phone to one of my close friends. She lost her business in the earthquake, and is still an emotional wreck. It was a hard phone call. She is thinking about leaving Christchurch and relocating in Sydney. I forgot about how that dam earthquake has shattered everyone. The city is still a heap of rubble. I suppose I will see my poor home town myself in a couple of weeks. She also said my daughter was drinking heavily, so now I have been left an emotional wreck as well. I have decided that if her marks are not good enough, I will bring her home :) tough love and all.

Teenagers arghhhhhhhh

Well I need to get some energy and take dogs for their stroll :)

Good Agtreenoon Ladies,

DA*N these satanic sheerts! & now I cam blame thje new pilloes as well! I buohgt new pilloes, 2 eachj & thje neck pronlem has becone

wores. I feel like somebodu hjas just beatren me. I guess I will granb 1 of tjhe old pillows & put it backl on thje bed.

Alyu, we necer hjad a pronblem with drimkimg with tjhe kids. Now my sistres jhace. Tjhey just figiured if tjhey wemt somewhjere 2 drimnk

thjen thjey would makle tjhem stray thje nihgt. Wjhat is thje drimkimg age there? Ours is 21. My oldesdt girl is going 2 B 23 & still jhasn't

taken a drop. Limdsau is 21 1/2 & hjad 1 drink & wasm't ecen sure if it had alcohol in it. She hasn't had any simce. My husnand & I dom't

drink (his fathre wsa an alcojholic & I wuoldm't allow muy husnabd 2 hjace any in the huose, + I think it tastes like medicine & beere tastes

like oceam watre). I also necer let mu kids go 2 tjhese parties they hace here wherr sone paremts provid e the booze 4 tjhem. I DON'T

THINK SO! Do thjese paremt's not realixe thje consequemces if 1 is killde aftre tjhe party? Did I mentoin that I libe in a coumty whrer

most of tjhe popluation barelu got out of hihg schopl? Biut whjat (othre tjhan take her schoolimg away) can U do? Is tjhere a school close 2
hone? Wherre wsa she drinking tjhat UR frien saw her? Maybe a little phome call 2 renind her Y she is there & what U will do if her grades

R slipping. I will say a prauyre 4 U & her.

Well, Ladoes I am up 4 nothimg 2day. I don't ecen think I am gettimg out of bed (othre than 4 the seesntial things) 2day. Everything can

wait a day. We still jhave the kitchen, 4 bathroons, living room, diming room & 2 monstrous hallwaus 2 fimish cleamimg. & a fromt door 2

fimish painiting. The door is importamt BC I haven't had a door handle on it in 12 yrs. We only have a deadbolt. The reason is; we had a

rental house amd the people thjat damaged the huose so badly kept the keys. So I put our doorknob on the rental & couldn't fimd 1 I

liked. It also needs a spevial tool 2 drill the opening biggre, thjat was tjhe biggest reason it has takem this long.

Joyce sounds like your little one had fun riding, sorry about being so tired and all. I have slept alot this weekend..catching up I guess. Aly glad you are back, i hope the head is better today! Lord what a mess we have with our kids sometimes. I have been through the drinking with mys son when he was younger. he used to tell me that I had a radar nose because I knew if he had been drinking when he come in. I feel for you! Kim it is hard for me to believe that some stupid parents would provide and let kids drink at there homes. They should be locked up! If anyone is interested I posted some more of my paintings, and a wreath I made..Have a good afternoon friends!

After some detective work( forcing someone to let me on her facebook page) I don't think it's as bad as my overanxious friend made out. But that being said, she was told no alcohol because of her antidepressant meds that she is on. She did promise me, so I am mad. The drinking age was lowered with the last dastardly government who lowered it to 18 and made prostitution legal. How I hate that government. Glad they got the boot, and hope that in November, they stay out. It's so hard to change legislation once it's made. It's increased road traffic deaths in our youngsters. Helen Clark, the then prime minister now lives in your country and is the 3 rd highest official in the United Nations. God help the world!

Too tired to go swimming today, so I am off with Sam to get his hair cut and get some new Soccer boots. He has the day off school.
Have a nice day in bed Kimberley, and Joni, I am glad you have been resting. You work too hard.

See you all later

Hi All,

Joni, your artwork is amazing! Beautiful work, I especially love the flower closeups. So much talent on this forum I think!

We also have alcoholism run in both sides of my family... My grandmother died of it when my Dad was a teenager, hubby's dad and uncle both were alcoholic, and his younger brother died last year in his 40's from alcohol. Hubby has been in AA for 8 years now, otherwise he'd not be anywhere near his kids... though it's still an issue I think. My feeling is that if you're constantly thinking about drinking – or not drinking, then you have an issue (even if you're not drinking anymore). So I hope your daughter is just going through a rough phase, and a little tough love may help. A friend of mine's daughter dropped out of college in freshman year because her drinking got out of control... and she wasn't even legal drinking age yet!

Kim, by the way, I love the saying you have about the expiration date stamped on your foot... a friend of ours said that to his wife's doctors once, and she's still here 15 years or so later. Have you ever checked out the website restoration hardware website? You may find the perfect door handle for your front door there. I have my eye on something on their site, haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

Had another Open House today, house looked really nice, yard is looking gorgeous, and NO ONE showed up to even look at it. Because it was pouring rain out all day... Guess I'm in the long haul here... which in some ways is ok I guess. There are alot of houses on the market here in our little town, but none even remotely like mine, which actually works against me. Maybe I should add a garage, and a $50K kitchen and jack the price up $200K, then it would sell! Of course if I could afford to do that, I could afford the stinkin' mortgage to begin with! But as long as I have roommates, I guess I'll be able to make the payments, its just I need to downsize!

Hope everyone's having a nice weekend!

Aly, when the drinking age was 18 until I was about 21, when they raised it a year every year for 3 years, bringing it back up to 21. That was when Reagan was president, and basically the federal government "blackmailed" the states, denying them funding for the highways in any state with a drinking age of less than 21. That said, I do think 18 is too young for most kids, especially as it gets easier into the high school age group. But I do have a problem with a society that says its ok to join the armed forces, and are legal in everything else, but you can't drink. No easy answer for this. As a parent, I don't want them to drink; as a fairness thing, they probably should be allowed to. The main problem is that our adult society is completely revolved around drinking in every aspect... unless you go shopping or to a movie, nearly everything involves drinking.

My daughter knows so many people who have been drinking to excess, and luckily she says she's NEVER going to drink... I just keep telling her that it is perfectly fine for adults to have a drink or two occasionally, and she responds that with her family history she doesn't want to even try it. Since this is coming from my vegetarian daughter, I hope she sticks to it until she's of legal age anyway, and then keeps it in moderation. (She's fanatical about any meat coming near her, I have to make sure I don't contaminate any vegetable with a spoon that may have touched meat!).

What gets me are the parents who still think its better for kids to drink at home than to go out... with the idea that at least they know where their kid is... how about the idea that they're getting used to the idea that this is the only fun thing to do with their friends? Not in my house, that's for sure.

Hope everyone is feeling well! Love to all (my 11 year old son just got out of the shower, and came over and gave me a kiss on the cheek... gotta love that!)

Helen do you have some modern bling tossed into with your traditional things? Our stager used a lot of bright modern cushions on the sofas, white throws draped artistically around on the backs of chairs, and she put up modern stressed canvas paintings and took down our traditional nicely framed paintings. Surprisingly those little bling things made a huge difference. Our place looked cozy and traditional, but I guess that is passe now days. With the bling we sold within a week.
Laurel

Whoops I meant modern stretched canvases --instead of stressed canvases. It was me that was stressed not the canvases <g>. They are the cheap unframed sorts that have things like huge poppies or birch trees painted on them. Not something to my taste, but it seemed to work.
Laurel

Hi Laurel, That's a good idea, and we do have some modern artwork on the walls, and I replaced the living room set about 2 years ago with a sleeker more modern set... and there's no family photos on the walls, etc. I think that if people walked into the house they would love it, but so many people are afraid of a house this age... though it looks newer than many other houses that I've seen! Maybe I'll have to do some more shopping! :)

Thanks for your suggestions...

My realtor did send me some data suggesting that the average length of time on the market for a house in my price range is 92 days... mine has been on the market for 44 days. But I did price the house thinking it would sell pretty quickly, its a lot of house for the money!

Love to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back