Status
Not open for further replies.
thankyou jerry,you always give good advice and i value your opinion:grin:

the problem was my leg was stuck in the position you described,i tried to stretch the leg out to relieve it but was stuck bent.
not into massage,can not stand someones hands all over my body:wink:

my leg is just the same today,i can feel a host of activity going on ............not very nice.
going to post a question on the main als forum............not that i dont value my fellow pls,ers opinions but i thought that as cramp is a common mnd symptom our pals will be able to give input and see it there.

darn thing ate my reply.

Leg cramps suck. Have had them for years. Sometimes, I can feel it coming on and stand up and walk before it hits full-force. Not always, though. Have you tried a heating pad? Low potassium levels can be a cause of cramps (if these are something new for you)

Also--for everyone with limited mobility--please don't assume pain in the legs--especially in calves--are from cramps. Blood clots usually start there--and can be very painful. I spent 30 days in the hospital with clots--and thought I was just having a worse than normal cramp period. Now, there is a simple blood test for the clots.

Anyone--male or female--is at risk for them when they spend long periods of time in one position. Also, higher instance for women on birth control pills and over 35.

I hope you're feeling better by now and that this was an isolated cramp and won't get worse on you.

thanks notme.
will look up potassium levels,not sure what that means.
i did have a blood clot in my right lower leg 15yrs ago,they put me on the pill to try to control my endometriosis (sp)
that was different ,the pain came on gradual during the course of the morning when i was at work and by lunchtime my whole leg was throbbing..........i knew straight away it was a blood clot,left work and went to see gp who gave me asprin and told to stop pill.

Caroline, I had intense Charley horse cramps for a 2-3 years although they have tapered off considerably in intensity. They come on usually as I am waking in the morning and I have an overpowering urge to stretch which triggers them. The stretching that Richard recommended would sometimes help but I found that someone bringing me really hot wet towels ASAP and wrapping them around the cramp area would bring relief in minutes. I also used to keep a heating pad turned on to use but the hot towels were the best. I remember listening to the water running in the bathroom and it seemed like it took forever to get hot.

I have spent ages trolling through literature for the reason why pls suffered get cramps. Can't find a Thing. I had cramps for 2 years before weakness started, then they went and seldom return. I had them in the muscles of my lower legs. It was crippling to the point of using a wheelchair for a few weeks. The wheelchair has been stored ever since. After the cramps left, that's when the weakness set in.

I can find literature on LMN trouble causing cramps, but not UMN . There are just so many unanswered questions. I will ask my text book when he gets home. Maybe I will get an answer, maybe a grunt!

You really get me thinking Caroline :)

thanks aly.
i do have some loss of contraction in that leg and it was the first area to develop clinical weakness which was found on my first neuro visit..............maybe this is why,maybe its getting weaker.
today its still bad,worse really because i have pain in my toes today.
going to give it a few more days,if its no better by the weekend i am off to see gp on monday.

cramp update!
it took some time but is feeling better,just seems to be more in my calf now.
if it becomes a persistant thing i will see my gp for advice.
my mum said drink tonic water but i dont like fizzy drinks,i have sensitive teeth as well so avoid such things.........besides you would have to drink tons of it right:?:
that would not go down too well with spastic bladder and incontinance:eek::roll:
going to a family funeral on wednesday ,my uncle is taking me and its 11/2 hrs drive away so i am not looking forward to the journey there and back..............we will see what the spasms and cramp make of that:eek:

I was constantly getting that cramp you describe - from the groin, down behind the thigh, behind the knee and the lower leg. It is the worst ever! I counted backward from 100, over and over and over. I now find the relatively new medication sifrol helps prevent it,as well as all the other all-over cramps I was getting.
I felt it might be tendon spasm rather than muscle cramp. best wishes, Joan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back