Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Strangely enough it was during my PT session....
Simply an accident; my fault; not the therapists'.

Bad news is I have either broken or cracked three ribs. I lost my balance and fell full bore against the arm of an old fashioned metal office chair.

Unfortunately I did this to the "floaters" which are hard to avoid moving around. Moving and coughing is still agony. I know from previous experience that they cannot really do much. Current practice is not to wrap you up, but just let them heal. I have not been to the ortho and probably won't unless something really bad happens.

I went to an out of town wedding this weekend and had to walk a lot in the airport and at the wedding and reception.....I am beat up.

Tomorrow is a rest day for sure.

- Jerry

Sorry to hear of your fall. I hope you recover quickly.

Ouch, I can feel it all over again. Sorry for your fall, BB. The only time I cracked/broke two ribs (not certain which) I also had ALS. Ironically I had already progressed to using a scooter. I was fooling around at a New Year's Eve party, chasing my dog around the dining room table. I took a corner too fast and was tossed into the edge of a low window sill and that did the damage. I was in real agony for a couple of weeks.

DON'T SNEEZE.

Sneezing is bad but for me; coughing is worse since I have bronchitis.

I have never had spasms this high in my body before. Not much sleep last night.....a bit scary.

Hope you mend real soon, and feel better!

Oh, Jerry, I was just wondering how you are and THIS is the answer: cracked ribs and bronchitis. Wow, that's a double whammy. And you were working on getting enough sleep. I'm thinking of you as you heal, which I pray is very quickly. And I hope you have a really effective cough medicine.

Ann

Jerry, I'm sorry to hear of your fall. Hoping for rest and healing for you. This bad balance stuff is so frustrating, and for some reason I was expecting the weakness but not the balance issues. Since my bad fall in Venice a month ago (the trip to Italy was worth it regardless!), which I thought just resulted in bloody nose and two gorgeous shiners, I've developed shoulder pain that my PT diagnosed as "frozen shoulder" resulting from trauma. It is no fun. Maybe we can have a race to see which gets better first? :)
We will be thinking of you!

Sue

At the risk of upsetting people by posting here-- please get an X-Ray. I've seen people fall and think it was cracked ribs--only to find out they were broken and having punctured lungs.

At least go if you see notice any sudden shortness of breath.

Hope you feel better.

Jerry, at no extra charge you can get wheel chair service rather than walking around the airport. I hope you heal quickly! I've done that before, not as badly as you, and it hurt like the devil! That was decades ago and I still feel it from time to time when it says "Hello! Remeber me?"

Sorry to hear about this Jerry.

Hope your recovery is quick.

Just an update....too much time on my hands, I guess. Today will be my first day back to PT.

I had to skip last week of both PT and my newly beloved Yoga classes. I also hope to go back to Yoga either on Thursday to some beginning classes or Saturday for Yoga with handweights....which does seem to really help me.

I am a bit nervous to see how much this week layoff has cost me, but anxious to get back into the routine that makes things work well. I see how working on this stuff becomes a full time job, eh? I will not make another trip to break up my routine again unless it is an emergency or family obligation like this recent wedding. Those long concourse walks at the airport and standing at the rehearsal and reception were too wearing.

I will also never smile again at an open bar when I ask for a scotch on the rocks and the bartender hands me a tumbler half full of liquid....lol. Moderation yes, over endulgence; no.

The ribs are now a dull ache and I hope some PT will jump start things again for me.

I hope today goes well for you, Jerry. It will be great if you can get back into the yoga by the end of the week.

Cheering you on!

Annie

Jerry,

Sorry to hear about your fall. It was painful just to read, let alone experience!

Hope you are able to make a full recovery with few coughing spells in the meantime.

Hi, sorry to hear about your fall. Trying to walk fast in an airport is tricky I know or climbing the outside stairs to a plane. I recently have flown twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back