Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helen, I'm glad to hear about your breathing being stable and the Dex trial is in your future. Funny rain joke--we are also getting needed rain and yesterday's high never made it to 50! You don't want to be here in the mid-Atlantic with our weather. We're in a pattern of upper 80s on Wednesdays, however! It's a rollercoaster.

Joni, glad Bruce's breathing is 95--yeah!

Aly, I'm so sorry there were aftershocks last week in Christchurch.

I've got a lot going on right now with the evil body. I can't sit on the toilet without falling over, so am trussed up in my sling all the while. Both arms hurt like mad from trying to push/pull myself in transfers. I seem to still have biceps since I sure do feel them. Typing is closing in, ladies. Sorry to be such an Eyeore but just reporting facts. Good news is that Phil has mastered hoisting me in and out of bed, with no rolling/turning while putting the sling on me.

Happy, Joyous Easter to all.

It has been raining cats and dogs here the last few days! Great weather for sipping a cup of tea or slurping down an espresso.

My cat, Pounce, was out all night in the rain (very unusual). I was thinking (and shamefully hoping) he had been eaten by a fox or coyote or some other big, cat-eating creature but alas, he finally strolled (waddled) to the front door a few minutes ago.

My daughter brought her Boston terrier here with her and this has not made Pounce very happy. I thought (and shamefully hoped) that perhaps he had decided to vacate the premises but alas, he has not.

Slurping down a cup of coffee as I contemplate all of this...

Dear PZ, I'm having espresso these mornings as my shopper found the 8 O'Clock Columbian (for which I have many coupons!) unavailable.

Which animals do you like? Homosapiens? If any "two leggers" would do, I had a wonderful look at a dog born without front legs who learned to walk like a human--and whose owner took with her everywhere.

After all the wind yesterday, we woke to sunny skies and calm. Tim will take the 6-wheeler and go around the property to survey the damages later. Hoping there is minimal damage since the season for guests will be here in a few more weeks.

I've been giving some thought to turning my mom's one-bedroom apartment into a monthly rental at the end of the summer and the guest area with kitchenette, fireplace, 2-bedrooms and 2- baths, patio and private entrance into another monthly rental in the fall. That way I won't have to move. Just an idea.

On sunny days the brain power is stimulated.

Dear Ann, I am so sorry to hear of more loss - thank goodness you have finally gotten hospice to help make you comfortable - and the lift to keep you on the pot! :)

If you lose your ability to type maybe the Mind Mouse will help. I spoke with the company on Friday and it looks like they will be ready to market it in another 60 days. Hang in there, if you can, with the keyboard, and I will see if I can get an extra pre-production model for you to play with.:)

Kim, I'm guessing you are going to hide eggs for Easter this year for the first time in many a year. Have fun!

Aly, how did the cupcakes turn out? I could use a sweet this morning but Tim is not a baker! Good cook bUt no baker... :)

Everyone have a relaxing week-end!

Hello! I haven't been on for awhile. We had some pretty intense storms last night, as have several others, I see. I was just thinking about the changing of the seasons and how we mark them. I have no feeling of spring this year, and then I realized that spring is announced in my home by working in the garden, putting out the fresh herbs, shelling fresh fava beans and eating lighter meals and more fish. It is through my kitchen and garden that I mark the changes of the season. From my bed? Not so much.

Hospice has been great! We have an aid that bathes me 3 times a week, a nurse that checks on us twice a week, a chaplain and social worker that come by about once a week and a massage therapist every Tuesday.

The window is open and I can hear the mariachi music coming from the cars. Soon I will be able to smell the foods coming from the street vendors' carts. It must be spring, after all?

The cupcakes are on their way! Just need the house t.o wake up ( it's only 5.30 Easter Sunday). I will then cyber transport them to your homes :)

Ann, sorry to hear about your progression. Praying for you my sweet.

Here are your cup cakes ladies and gentlemen. Enjoy and another Happy Easter to you all. The wonderful one with the broken egg was designed and has already been eated, by my clever 12 year old. The others are still awaiting you to eat them. Barry I have mushed your up so it can go down the PEG with a little shot of 50 year old scottish whiskey

Aly

Attachments

• DSC06971.jpg
    DSC06971.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC06974.jpg
    DSC06974.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 111
Aly, thanks for the mushed up cupcake with whiskey! I'm a little down today, I wanted to go to a funeral for an (87 year) old friend but there was no one to take me so I stayed in my room instead. I despise holidays and weekends, they just mean less care for me and its not like I can eat a special dinner anyway :(

Ann, so sorry about the evil body and the typing woes. I am now typing with one finger of my left hand and supporting it with the other and it's so slow. Time to start practicing with dasher again.

Kim, glad your favourite feline came back to torment you.

Barry, well Poop on your fingers bailing out on you. (This thread began with poop and it's time to return to our Ugh origins for a bit.) And Phooey on your caregivers not being there on weekends! And...I really am sorry you had to miss your friend's funeral.

Aly, Sam's sense of humor is terrific. LOVE the broken egg cupcake. Of course I can see the chocolate yolk. And your cupcakes are lovely! Very yummy looking.

It's already warming here--80s the next few days, and blue skies.

Hi Everybody!
I have been away for a lil bit. Had quite the weekend, to say the least. Friday morning my roomate woke me up at 4:30 in the dang morning to talk to me about a guy. Guess it couldnt wait til, say, oh i dont know- 8 am? Ugh. So after that I had to stay up and go to my PALS for the day. Busy busy. When done there, I left to go visit my sister for her 30th birthday party. It was a two hour drive. Fun party though. It was hawaiian themed. I wore a big blue flower in my hair and a pretty lai and a sarong. Of course it was only 38 degrees out and raining, but hey- it was a hawaiian themed party so what are ya gona do? Well we partied until, well bar time. Youd think we could go home and get some sleep? NO. I didnt get my sister out of the bar until 4am. Didnt get to sleep until 5:30 so was up for over 24 hours. I then only slept for 4 hours and got up again. eventually found my way home (another two hour drive) jumped in the shower and went out to meet my girlfriends. Had another long night of partying. So today- not only do i feel like it, but I also look like last thursdays leftovers...

Ann- sorry to hear that your having headaches and not sleeping well and the other issues too. I will continue to pray for you as always and i hope the oxygen will help out.

Helen- that is great news and i am very excited for you!

Diane- i think thats a good idea turning that into an income apartment. and our weather here has been just poopy. we had some more winter last tuesday. it was pretty treturous. its been cold and rainy and windy for forever now. sometimes the temps go up a bit, but then thats on a really windy day so we dont feel the warmth. this is almost worse than winter. its such a tease- like the good weather is just riiigggghhhht there, but you just cant seem to grab it. all this cold and wet is making me ache. am i old?

Joni- it is so great that Bruces numbers are so good! i love hearing things like that. tell him to keep it up!

Aly- you made those cupcakes? im pretty impressed! how in the world do you manage to make cupcakes like that and still stick to your diet? you must be a God. Strike that... edit. Godess!

Barry- Im sorry my friend. You shouldnt have to suffer because its the weekend or a holiday. When I worked as a CNA- it was company policy that you had to work every other weekend and rotate holidays. Folks still need cares and alot of times they need more cares because of the holidays. Can be a sad time for many... Doesnt it work this way in Canada? This is why I sometimes wish some really rich guy (or gal) would come along and build an ALS community and we all could be together. For those that have lost family and friends do to this disease, we could be their new family and noone would have to be alone or neglected.
I gotta work on that...

Love to all

Oh Liz that sounds like some partying. I feel exhausted just thinking about it. There was a time in my life where conversations after midnight had a special quality. Now they just take away from the next day. No, I'm not ancient, just up every 3 hours (suction/toilet...don't ask!) come hail shine night or day....and tired of it. Moan over. Well, not quite. Barry, I'm with you on holidays. Less care available here too, unless you are willing to pay double for it. Since they will only come now in twos to our house that's a lot of buck! Barry I'm really sorry there was noone to take you to your friends funeral. I wish I lived closer! I hate that you & Ann are having struggles with the typing. Dianne, sounds like a v good idea.

Sorry, I'm like a wet blanket this evening. I shall have one of Alys cupcakes & will be more myself next post. Love to each one.

I'm getting ready to eat some German Spaghetti (with greenbean casserole, deviled eggs, green & black olives, some other stuff) and cake to top it off.

The German Spaghetti has nothing to do with Germanic origins. I think it's a recipe conjured up by one of my folks. It has bacon and cheddar cheese in it.

mmm mmm good!

Last edited:
Barry, I'm sorry you couldn't get out to the funeral, not that anyone really wants to go to one either... but I bet your friend knew you were there is spirit and that's what counts. But it sucks when you don't look forward to a holiday for whatever reason. I remember feeling somewhat that way when my kids were little, because then their dad was home both days, drinking... and during the week he wouldn't be home (he'd still be drinking though!). Luckily for him, he's been in AA for more than 7 years now!

Aly, those cupcakes are a work of art! And eaten in cyberworld here, NO calories. Even better, since I weigh more now than I ever have in my life, and my docs tell me not to lose weight! I told my doc at the clinic that my sister-in-law's psychic told her that I don't have ALS... don't think he thought too much of that! :)

Liz, you devil you! My roommate has a bumper sticker that says "Good girls go to Heaven, and Bad girls to everywhere!". Hope you recuperate quickly!

I know I'm missing a few folks here, you're in my thoughts and prayers. Hey Ann, I've been sending you some Reiki energy for your hands since yesterday, but I'm not very good at it yet! I want you to keep on typing, and don't mind the typos!

Diane, was it you that was thinking of renting out the in-law apartment? Sounds like a great idea if you can find someone who will pay the bill on time. Just make sure you get that last month's rent up front, and avoid having to move if possible. I'm not looking forward to moving, but I am looking forward to a smaller place. Less steps from my office to the kitchen, and from bedroom to the bathroom, and NO evil stairs! Do you know that I have 5 steps up to my house, and 4 sets of 16 steps? That makes 64 steps from basement to attic... And to think I used to love those stairs, running up and down those evil things! Should have put that elevator in for my Mom's dog 10 years ago like she kept (teasingly) asking me to do.

Zaphoon, you have to let me know what's in your German spaghetti... my kids love anything with cheese and spaghetti in it, and if I delete the bacon, 2 of them will eat it!

Hope everyone had a nice Easter!

Mr. PZ, Chef Phil made clam spaghetti tonight with salads on the side. Your bacon and cheddar spaghetti sounds good and tasty. Phil is very interested in a "Mediterranean Diet", mostly because we love Mediterranean food... but he likes beer, which of course could be Germanic. He also had an "0" birthday today, and tilled the garden with big plans for anything that can be cared for by hoeing. My specialty used to be hand pulling weeds. It worked out well.

Avril, I do know from my brief caregiving days that lack of enough rest and deep sleep make everything very, very difficult. I'm sending you a big hug across the ocean.

Liz, I was thinking as I read about your partying, and your lack of sleep...this is why young women have children. Only the young can stand the waking at night. Not that you're thinking of having another child, I'm just telling you my first thought. My second thought is...I remember being young, lol. Getting married for us was like flipping a switch. Suddenly the midnight endings to evenings became 9 o'clock.

Helen you sound like rentals are something you may have experience with--wise advice. Your 64 steps would certainly have burned a lot of calories. Not a good thing anymore, though.

Happy Birthday to Ann's Phil! All that spaghetti sounds good, I'm imagining eating it with some crusty bread and a nice green salad.

I hope everyone is having a great day and Liz, I remember partying like that and suffering what we in Canada used to call the 26 oz flu. Sounds like a good time anyway!

I see we now have a "tweets" button on the screen to avoid and a loose "like" button. It's a good thing that we all have such good hand dexterity to deal with it......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back