ALS and iPads

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter's speech is slurred some. She can still talk and understood well but we are preparing for the time when she can no longer speak. She has an iPod Touch with proloquo2go which she is learning to use. She is also thinking about getting an iPad later on.

That is awesome technology! A GPS system is ingenious! Thanks for that link!

For those that can use fingers-even just one or two--an iPad can be great. They make a dock for it--and also a portable keyboard that hooks up with bluetooth.

I find it's much easier for me to use sometimes as my hands droop so much, I keep hitting the stupid touchpad on the mouse on my laptop and making mistakes when I type.

It's a lot easier for me to hit the keys on my iPad, too--as I barely have to touch them. Dexterity is an issue, though. I have the stylus--but it makes it slower to use for me.

I like the ability to watch movies, read books, play games--with little stress on my hands--which are my worst part at this point.

I write novels--and I've had to pretty much stop as I get too frustrated with how little I can work on the computer now.

Just got a program for the iPad that is supposed to sync with Microsoft word--hoping it will allow me to write my books again. I have a lot of my readers emailing me for book 3 in my series, LOL

I got the iPad for my Mom with Prologue2go since her ALS took her speech first. She still has use of her limbs and she loves using the iPad. She likes the Prologue2go program, but at this point (Newly diagnosed), she is still straining to use her voice. I am hoping that she will start using the iPad more for her speech. I have a hard time understanding what she is trying to tell me.

Has anyone figured out how to use the iPad to communicate over the phone?

Just get a speaker phone and there are no connections necessary just talk with the iPad close to the phone.

I am looking for a communication method. My wife was diagnosed 6 mos ago, but her ALS is advancing very quickly. In January she could talk fine, we weren't sure if the slurring in her speech was the new med she was on or ALS. Today less than 6 months later she makes sound but i can not understand her.
HELP?!
We've heard about dynavox. Is this "the way" to go?
The IPAD seems to be the quickest thing to get our hands on. Can someone give me info on what ap and how it works?
This has happened so fast we are not prepared and trying to play catch up very quickly, any and all help is appreciated.
thank you

Sorry to hear about your wife.

As far as ipad apps go, proloquo2go is often recommended by ALS clinics. It is pricey at $200. There is a new speech app called MyVoice at a low introductory cost of FREE which you may want to try first.

If you don't need the portability of an ipad, you may want to stick with a laptop which has more input options and can better adapt to your wife's progression (head movement, eye movement). Etriloquist is a free speech program for PCs.

Good luck

If you are looking at an iPad, there is a software program called Predictable. You type in what you want to speak and it "learns" the words you use most often. It will then bring them up automatically when you start typing (sort of like g o o g l e does when you are searching). Also there is a place you can order a switch and other items to make the iPad easier to work if she is having problems with touching the screen: search the internet for RJ Cooper and iPad. I would give the link, but it would go to moderation and sometimes that means the cyber trash bin. The guy also has other alternatives for speech devices and is very helpful over the phone. It's obvious he has dealt with lots of people with speech problems.

My husband is in the process of making the iPad work for him. He lost the switch, so it's not doable right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back