Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all-
What a lot happens on this thread. Blink and I've missed Not one but two streakers!
Sue, I was both aghast & laughing at your fall. Aghast that you took the fall but laughing about the washing that made a cushion for you. This time last year my mum was still walking, and on my birthday no less took a dive & landed on her head! Just like your hubby I moved at the speed of light, but could do nothing more than break her fall a bit. Sue I wish you have no more falls but if you do may there always be washing at your back.

Aly I am so thrilled for you. First class! Beds! That is the way to go. I reckon your hubby will reckon his horrible delay was worth every minute for you both to go first class. It's Tuesday here (Wednesday with you already?) so I hope you're getting excited & looking forward to the trip. As Dianne says naps are good on holiday too so hope you get a few of those between all the other great stuff.

Ann, dear heart, so glad hospice are sending someone along. Hope to hear the low down.

Liz-brain farts? First time I've heard that expression but thanks for extract from Rilke. Hope you're doing well. Always good to see your posts.

Just coming up to 6pm here. Time to get some food sorted. See you later

It is kind of funny that Hubby suffered and I reap. He sounds like he is having a good time.
Just about to cook dinner last night, and my mum rang to say she felt really I'll and her heart was pounding. My dad " doesn't do health" so had buried his head in the sand as usual. He had been drinking a bit, so didn't want to drive and it was dark. I decided I had better drive the 20 minutes and take her to the hospital for an ECG. When I got to her house, her pulse was doing a strange double beat, so I tossed her in the car and off we went, about 10 km down the road, she stopped sweating and said she felt better. I took her to the hospital anyway, but the wait was horrendous. I took her pulse and it indeed had returned to normal. Anna, my daughter, is could a cardiology run, so its all fresh in her mind, so I dropped in at home. She said it would have been atrial fibrillation( mum takes pills for that) and it was back to a normal rhythm. So I took her home and all was well. Never stops being exciting around here.

Hope all goes well with everyone. Glad hospice is so nice Dianne , and that you are getting them organized Ann. Everyone on this site talks so highly of them.

Kimberley, 50 ibs is amazing, did you diet or was it because of your condition? I don't think my tummy will ever shrink, just too many babies! All my weight seems to be coming off my legs and butt. I have just hit the 10 kg 22 lb mark. Almost half way. Long way to go. When I get to Hawaii it will be the day before I leave. So I will have Wednesday twice! But I leave to come home next Wednesday ( us time) and don't get back till Friday! It is confusing. What you gain in one direction, you lose in the other. I will take my iPad, it's attached to me anyway. Just hope the Internet access at the hotel is not too expensive.

Have a meeting this morning with a lady from Australia. Something to do with adverse event reporting and beta interferons. Sounds exciting. 3 hours of it and as I am self employed, no pay for it , boo hoo.

The great news is that I got an email yesterday saying that the MS study that I have just spent 4 years doing was positive yay! Doctors think the same compound should be trialed for ALS, because it's proved to be neuroprotective. Let's hope they do!
Better get out of bed and into the day.
Love you all
Aly

Kim, my mattress pad is from Nikken, you can go on their website to check out all their products – they don't sell directly, but like Amway and Avon sell through reps. I swear by my mattress pad, and finally got one for each of the kids when they wouldn't get out of my bed! They are horribly expensive, so check out craigs' list or ebay to see if you can find a discounted one. I think it's called Kenko Pad. If you're not sure if you want to spend so much to try it out, the reps usually have loaner stuff you can try, OR do what I did before I bought mine. I bought a Kenko Seat cushion, and put it under my backside when sleeping, and on the chair when sitting. I'm still using it 12? years later, had to replace the cover, but the pad is still operational. I think there are 2 sizes, so get the larger one, and put a king-size pillowcase on it to keep it fresher. Good luck! BTW, you can't use these if you're on a pacemaker, in the first few months of pregnancy (NOT applicable to us!), and you may have to adjust your meds as it seems to intensify them. Also drink lots of water, it will make you thirsty.... supposedly it helps to flush out your system. Not sure if it does all that, but it is so comfortable when you're achy I don't really care!

Aly, have a safe flight, and make the best use of your two Wednesdays this week!

Diane, do you know there are websites where for a small fee you can list your house on the MLS and show it yourself? And that's where EVERYONE goes when looking. You don't pay a realtor fee at all, UNLESS another realtor brings someone to see it. And that may be worth paying 2-3% to get it sold. My brother sold his house himself, and after months of open houses, etc. he sold it to someone who was going to another Open House in the neighborhood and saw his sign in the yard! But if you don't let a realtor have a % of the sale (keeping it small), they won't bring their clients to you. Good luck!

Aly and Avril, Here's another saying you might not know: I'm not overweight, I'm underheight. And to both of you, I hope your Mum's are doing well today. Wish we could have a ladies conference somewhere so we could meet and write it off at the same time!
Aly, I wasn't dieting. About 10 months or so ago, I noticed that I had a hard time swallowing food. Just hard to get the foods I like down. I can't really explain it. I try not to get on the scale too much. When I moved to South Carolina, I was 30 years old, 3 kids and weighed 114 lbs (you can figure that one out). But now 20 years later and 3 more kids, I am actually weighing about 15 lbs more. But like I told Ann, my legs are thin, I have no butt, and my forearms are really, really small. Lindsay is always fussing at me about how small I've become. Well, I surely can't help that! There are days I eat a lot and other days I force myself to eat. I don't eat during the 4 hrs I'm here alone. I don't want to choke or have to try and get up to go to the bathroom by myself. And because HE has become such a whiner about getting up in the middle of the night to help me I have banned myself from drinking anything after 7 pm.
Helen, my sister sells Avon and we have friends who sell Amway, (I will check with my sister first), but do you know if it can be put on top of a heated mattress pad? I can't live without that during the winter months.
Dianne, I know the company in Maryland (was called Help-U-Sell) charged a flat fee of $2995.00 for their services. They line up the people, place it on the MLS, do the closing, and you show the house. I actually saw a sign on Sunday for a company doing the same exact thing. Realtors are hungry; so like Helen said, offer a 2-3% closing fee to the buyers realtors. I pray that everything works out for the 2 of you.
And everyone, let's say a special prayer tonight that the MS trial drug be the miracle drug!

The drug( formulae), has been used to preserve leather for years. It was banned in UK cause people sat on the couches and went bright red........guess what one of the side effects is..........people going red, you got it. Luckily like most adverse events, it lessens over a few months :)

So, their Arses were red or the clothing to cover them were?

That's pretty funny, Aly.

Diane, your poor shoulder blade and tailbone. I keep picturing you safely in a powerchair, which is my wishful thinking--only wanting you to stay safe. I hope your owies feel much better soon, but those are bad places to hit the ground or floor.

Kim, you know I cleaned that up! Phil used to toss his cookies if he had to clean up messes. When I tell anyone what he now does for me, I am so proud of him! Not even a pained expression on his face.

Back to dogs, though....we also had a sad brain damaged dog. The most beautiful little German Shepherd, found in a ditch of ice and water down our road. We called the vet (this was in the evening, in January) and met him. The dog was six months old, weighed 16 pounds and had impacted bowels. She wasn't expected to last the night, but was given an IV and lived. She joined the retrievers, both male who bowed to her authority. And she was a loving dog, but totally untrainable, as well as terrified of anything resembling authority. Whatever she did had to be met with a gentle voice...or she flipped out. Maybe she was training me, come to think of it. And she also killed herself, but that isn't a story to share.

OMG; Helen, the mattress pad for my cal king was over $1600.00. I could get the twin at almost $900.00 and be selfish and put it on just my side. I will watch e-bay for one. Also, my 2 youngest wear those little bracelets and swear it works. But Courtney put it on and it didn't work for her. I'm game for anything.

My dear sweet Ann, I figured it was you who cleaned up the mess, but I had to ask. I don't know if you remember back in 97; the inauguration, well we had our first foreign exchange student living with us. My husband took him and my son to DC for it. It was so frigid that day, probably the coldest ever. Anyway, it was supposed to get down below zero here and I felt sorry for our 2 dogs. So, I let them come in. Well, I put the 2 little plastic bags of trash up on top of my stove and blocked them in the kitchen. I guess they had never been in a house before because they barked the whole time. I went down about 2 and turned on the light for them. They still carried on. finally by 6 am I came down to take them to their pen and those 2 d*$% dogs ripped open the bags of trash, gotten a pyrex baking dish that was also on top of the stove down and busted, eaten 2 lbs of chocolate chunks I had bought to make cookies, and had pooped and peed from one end of my kitchen to the other. After saying a few choice words, took them out, thanked them for the mess and yes said i hope you die from the chocolate or cold brcayse your'e not coming in my house evr again!

Ann, is the dogs death similar to Ben's (thats HIM)? His dog as a kid was chained in the backyard in a ckainlink fence. The neighbor kids would taunt the dogs. Welk one day the dog went ober the fence with not enough chain!

I yhinmk I need to give my tuping a break do we hace spell check on here?

Hi Ladies
Once again, i dont know where to jump in. you all have shared so much today and i just got done reading it all- i know i want to respond to some of it, but i cant remember what every one said! Dang it. Stupid brain fart- hey, that reminds me...

Avril- Im not really sure where the term "brain fart" comes from. To me, its just a way to say that i had a momentary lapse in thought/memory... but they last a few minutes and sometimes they are completely gone...

Was it Kim who said she cant live without her heated matress pad? I dont want to be the party pooper of the group- but im going to have to be... Please be careful with those. I know they are snuggly warm and make the cold ickiness go away, but as they can be very dangerous. If you get to a point where you arent able to turn yourself in bed, you could be burned. OK OK- im done being a mom...

Lets see- Aly... you my friend, are a turd! Im am oh so jealous of you and your son and hubs. Hawaii? Man o Man what i wouldnt do for some of THAT. I bet you will have a blast. But i better not hear about you over doing it and being all exhausted when you return. NO Ma'am- you dont need a vacation from your vacation. If you can, take pictures!

Ann- I simply cannot picture you with a potty mouth. I would almost be tempted to call you a fibber, but i dont want to go there...

Sue- I hate that you fell, but look what has happened out of it! Now, if anyone has an issue with clothes on the floor, you can promptly remind them (or yourself) how it helped save you from what couldve been a horrible injury! Theres always a positive...

Now, for the quote of the day: "To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."
This one has special meaning to me because if you keep this in mind when you are really REALLY down- it can truly lift you up. Its has me.

Love to you all.

I just re-read. I see i forgot again- sorry ladies.
Helen- sorry i sent you those storms. if it makes you feel any better- after sundays nights 10 tornadoes- we are now supposed to be getting snow this weekend! UGH. STupid weather.

And Diane- the fall... Im sorry. But knock it off already my dear! I hope that the right buyer is sent your way soon, so it will be one less thing to worry about. To tell the truth- i wish I were that buyer! my PALS would probably be in heaven there!

Love to you ladies as well.

Such a busy day here!
Yes, I have never been a great housekeeper- I follow the clean-but-cluttered model. Just can't keep up, and I would rather be in the garden or barn. So if there are clothes on the floor, they are a pile of cleanies that need to be put away, that were on the bed, and that someone who sleeps in that bed and is not me "moved" to a pile. Dirty clothes do make it into the hamper. My sister has been coming over to help me de-clutter since she worries about me tripping on things. It's a slow battle. Diane, I am so sorry you fell without cushioning. I did that in Italy (a real fall-- maybe I already told that story) and since then have developed bursitis in my left shoulder. Anyway...

Aly, I'm at least as envious of your first-class upgrade as of your destination. I've never flown first-class, and on the way to Italy trying to sleep in the incredibly uncomfortable seat, I swore to myself that if I ever fly across the ocean again (which is not very likely), it will NOT be in coach! I hope you have a lovely trip.

A cat story to go along with the dog story: May 1989, I have just that day come home from the hospital with my first baby. Nightime, baby Jackson wakes up, and I pick him up and take him out to the living room to nurse, trying to feel confident, and right in the middle of the living room floor my bare foot goes "squish", and I realize I have just stepped in a pile of cat s**t. Now, our two cats were outdoor cats who had never left any deposits in the house before-- one of them was clearly out to get me for bringing home this intruder!

Thanking my lucky stars for friends who bring meals. I did manage to fry myself an egg this morning, wondering if I'd be able to flip it.. I did, after a few tries, but it landed out of the pan on the stovetop! Good thing I don't have to worry about supper.

I am sending good vibes to all for house sales, considerate hospice visitors, our CALS and our PALS, and our ability to laugh and love.

Sue

Avril, i feel out of the loop too, just in two days. ok too many of you are falling, so Please be careful:0 Aly i am so envious of your trip, but i better see pictures when you get back. Now liz I pretty much have brain farts everyday, so don't feel bad. gotta keep up withyall more, you all are moving too fast for my slow arse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back